• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Questions

Tman

May 15, 2015
I am looking to take the step from break barrel springers into PCP Airguns, exciting right! And I have some pretty basic PCP questions. I am thinking about buying the Benjamin Discovery in .22, is that a good choice? Also when you fill the air reservoir to its designated max and you only shoot a couple times, what happens to the left over air? Do you just leave it in the reservoir or is there some way to relieve the pressure? Thanks
-tman

The disco is a good gun but there are better ones available. Once you shoot after filling to max, you can leave the air in the cylinder. You don't need to bleed the tank every time. In fact it's not advisable to shoot a pcp till it's completely empty. You will love the accuracy of pcp Airguns. A good .177 will shoot hole in hole targets at 50-70 yards. With a .22 or higher you can easily go up to 75-150 yards.

If if you have the money go for a FX. They make superb guns. If you don't wanna spend so much money, Hatsan is a good brand. I have the Hatsan AT 4410 tactical. It's a full tact driver. Shoots like a dream. 50 yards is a breeze. Check it out on YouTube. 

I think the Discovery is a fantastic first PCP - particularly because you can save on the gun/pump package deal. It is also a fine gun, if that is as far as your PCP journey takes you. I say this because continuing that journey can be very expensive. In my opinion, the Discovery is one of the best small-caliber guns for those who use a handpump. This is because the fill pressure on the Discovery is only 2000psi (unlike many other PCP's that fill to 3000+). So, if you have no plans for "upgrading" in the near future (eg. carbon fiber tanks, air compressors, expensive guns and optics, etc), it is hard to beat the Discovery + Pump for the price point. If you want to make it REALLY easy - buy the gun+scope+pump combo and a tin of Crosman Premier domes. You'll be smacking squirrels at 40 yards minutes after opening the box. :)

And, as fearnloading stated - you don't ever need to depressurize the gun in between shooting sessions.

In case you didn't see it I started a thread a few days ago on the performance on my new Discovery, my first PCP as well:

http://airgunnation.dev/topic/newbie-disappointed-with-stock-discovery-performance/#post-10868

Before buying it I read a lot of complaints about inaccuracy out of the box that was usually fixed by redoing the crown. Whether that was the actual problem with my barrel or not I don't know but the replacement from Mac 1 airguns, that had the leade and crown redone by Tim before it was shipped out, made a huge difference.

If you go with the Discovery I'd definitely recommend spending the extra money and buying one from Mac 1. I certainly wish I would have.

Their website doesn't show it coming with a pump but I've heard people say they do sell it bundled with the pump as well. Maybe drop them a line if you're interested.

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/benjamin-discovery-with-mac1-tune-p/bedim1.htm

Alan

Interesting, I think you should start small. My first pcp was a Cz/AA s200. I bought the pump with the gun, and came to be a great deal. I still love my little s200. We sometimes plink with it in the backyard. I had that rifle for about 6 years before I bought a AA S510, and the rest is history. From there I bought my first scuba tank, and fittings.

It's much better to start with a small gun, learn how to shoot it very well, I mean like at least a few years. Then start to look at a better gun. 

I think the reason why you have to start small and work your way up, is that you learn the real value of the more expensive equipment. And the most important reason, is that your skills will be improved by the time you get that beauty of a nice gun.

just my two cents.

Biagio

I'm in the same place as Biagio but just a few years behind him.

My first was an HW30S in .177 (which I still have and enjoy regularly). I shot it until the factory spring broke (about 8000 rounds) and then had it repaired and tuned by Rob Hawkins. Like butta!

Next was an AA200, also .177. This fine little rifle has seen a lot use and has introduced me to stuff like chrony use and tuning a PCP. It's been fun and the rifle is more accurate than the shooter so far.

I hand pump (Hill MKiv) but with low volume tank and air efficiency of the AA200 it's not a problem. I will admit to an unhealthy interest in carbon fiber tanks, Shoebox compressors, Omega compressors, etc. and based on reading forums like this one it seems like it's inevitable that I'll "invest" in that stuff eventually just like the rest of the addicts found here.

One of the best purchases so far has been a BT-500 biathlon target from Devin Mfg. My back yard allows me a max of just over 30 yards and I've shot the heck out that thing at that distance! It's super well made-- you can't kill this thing with air gun. My reset cord is a carpenters chalk box, minus the chalk-- works great and super easy to put up after a shooting session with no tangles.

I'm not too much into optics (yet) but I find aperture sights really interesting. An Airforce universal rear sight with a Merit adjustable iris lives on the HW. The AA200 does have a small scope on it-- a Bug Buster 3-9X32AO. Certainly not high-end but works fine for my needs so far. I like to set up a row of 15 or 20 spent .22lr brass at 30 yards and try to hit all of them without a miss, which I have done but usually I do miss a few.

I recently bought a Gehmann 590 rear sight base with a 510 iris for my most recent rifle purchase which is in shipment (expecting delivery on Monday!)-- an HW35. Old school springer that I have always wanted. Can't wait! May have to get the Rob Hawkins treatment right out of the box on this one.

For me, part of the fun of air gunning comes from anticipating future equipment purchases while learning all I can to try to get the most out of the rifles, sights, and gear I have along the way. I'm envious of the guns and gear you guys on AGN have-- it just means that I have a lot to look forward to!

Matt