• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering getting an air pistol so I am not yet even yet a newby.

For use indoors or in my back yard, CO2 seems the best choice. For use at my gun club with 25 and 50 yard target berms, a PCP style pistol seems to be correct.

My question: Can I use a PCP pistol for short range indoor shooting if I simply fill it up to a lower pressure?

For use indoors or in my back yard, CO2 seems the best choice. For use at my gun club with 25 and 50 yard target berms, a PCP style pistol seems to be correct.

My question: Can I use a PCP pistol for short range indoor shooting if I simply fill it up to a lower pressure?

it doesnt work that way.

filling to a lower pressure does not make a pcp slower,
you will just lose shot count.

it could be tuned to a slower speed,
but fill pressure does not dictate the speed of the projectile.

either way,
you could still shoot it indoors/backyard.

There are lots of PCP pistols suited to indoor and/or short-range shooting. The Crosman 1701 that Long_Gun_Dallas mentioned is a long-standing example. I’m not sure what price bracket you’re wanting to play in but if you’re wanting to start with something cheaper, the Beeman 2027 might be worth a look. Just know that, depending on your expectations, you may need to invest some tuning effort.

Among regulated PCP pistols, for the most part they’re going to either be a bit pricier models marketed as target pistols (i.e. Olympic 10m), while budget models tend to be more powerful and would need some tuning to be better suited for the task you have in mind. For example, I reconfigured the regulator in my SPA PP700S-A to step it down from 12fpe to 6fpe, and it gives me about 80 shots from the small reservoir.

Or get a CO2 pistol like you said!

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas

I do.
I have a few PCP pistols, and only shoot in my house.
Across the living room, and down the hall, into a foam archery target. I can step outside to increase the distance, but rarely do. While in the house, the distance is just under 10 yards.
Short, but I don't need to go anywhere to have some fun. I can shoot as many or as few (rifles, and pistols) at any given time, without having to load them into and out of the car !

One of my Ataman, AP16 pistols -
1700149401184.jpeg

A new gun on the parket, by a poster here, my Tequila Gun, pistol -
1700149532789.jpeg

My target pistol, Steyr, LP 50 Sport Compact -
1700149607079.jpeg

A less expensive, single shot, Artemis PP700S-A -
1700149695982.jpeg

Mike

Reactions: L.Leon
CO2 is a very temperature dependent power source. If you live in a year round warm climate then it's great. If you live in the north however then it's basically only good indoors from late fall to early spring. The guns made for it tend to be much cheaper too, which is either good or bad depending on what you want to spend and what kind of performance you're looking for. If you're looking for a $60 fun gun to do some plinking with then a CO2 is your obvious choice. If you're looking for serious accuracy and you don't mind paying for it then you probably want a PCP.

PCP air guns are just a passing fad.
Everything is… eventually. PCPs are a hobby or business to a small percentage of the overall population of any given place. Some of us are fortunate to be able to enjoy fleetingly the sweet PCPs of today. PCPs have been a “passing fad” from the days of Lewis and Clark and before.

Everything is… eventually. PCPs are a hobby or business to a small percentage of the overall population of any given place. Some of us are fortunate to be able to enjoy fleetingly the sweet PCPs of today. PCPs have been a “passing fad” from the days of Lewis and Clark and before.
I was joking when I wrote that, while I'm not a fan of PCP air rifles I do appreciate their superior performance, whether they continue to grow in popularity or fall by the wayside when some new and wonderous technology comes along to challenge it I really don't care, nor do I know what the future will bring.
However, answer me this, if PCP air rifles are so great why did they not continue to be popular long after the Austrian military and the Lewis & Clark Discovery Adventure, I think it was that they were constantly plagued with problems, were too expensive to keep running, and too labor intensive keeping them air up for the gain in performance over conventional arms then or the simplicity of traditional air guns today.
At the end of the day what's important is that what ever technology you chose makes you happy. (y)

Reactions: L.Leon

You might might want to look at the Tequila, made by one of the AGN MEMBERS. I'm getting hand size 'groups' at 25 yards standing, shaky old guy, I know I can get better, at 10 yards rested I'm getting quarter size 10 round groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.