• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Pumps - Looking for Long Term Usage Feedback

this one is for the long term PCP users out there.
Could You pls. suggest which kind of the PCP Pumps last long on regular *usage?
consider 300cc bottle fill thrice a week, or 15 fills a month (i m at this stage at the moment).
I have the hand-pump and it's sure the best fit on long-life requirement but i'm looking to buy an electric option.

Which last longer than other requiring comparatively lesser service/maintenance?
  1. Desktop Sized Portables (e.g. Nomad 2/Chinese Make)
  2. Noisier heavier but still portable ones, e.g. Yong Heng
  3. Heavier, water-cooled e.g. AirVenturi 4500 - these can fill tanks
    (not breathing quality though, but not really portable either as they weigh around 30Kgs)
    Attached is the snap from Andy's Airgun Review on Airgun101 Channel here.

My intent is to buy a long lasting one, say 4-5 years at least...

AirGun101_Andy's Airguns Reviews.jpg

-SoulSniper

Reactions: 2372ighost
My cheap Yong Heng is 3yrs old and still going strong on all the factory seals. I change the oil every 5 hours give or take which between filling my Dreamline and Marauder is probably every 300 or so fills. Long story short, it doesn't get changed all that frequently.

I had a Nomad 2 for around 27 days before it burned out. Thankfully Pyramidair was nice enough to refund my money. One thing I can say about it is it definitely isn't made for heavy use and it definitely isn't worth the $800 they charge for it. Its a Chinese compressor and I doubt it is built to much of a higher standard than the $200-$300 versions that look the exact same but in a different color. They also take about 4-5 minutes to charge my guns from regulator to full (220 bar) wheras my Yong Heng is under a minute, even with running it for 20-30 seconds with the valves open to warm it up some/get the oil circulating.

If you can swing $2k on a higher end compressor it would likely be your most reliable bet. I have no experience with those though so I'll let the pros weigh in.

Any Bauer Oceanus or Junior (used is much cheaper)....Joe B has had one (Oceanus) for over 7 years filling his tanks daily and it's still running today! He just had it serviced and it runs like a champ! These produce scuba breathable air and are meant for commercial use, built to LAST. Check ebay and call dive shops, paintball shops, they might have one sitting around.

Reactions: SoulSniper
All, thanks a Ton!
I checked e-bay and for a Yong Heng and similar Builds, they aren’t shipping to India…
The Nomad-family box is ~350$ which is available locally, and it’s a Chinese clone possibly (I guess Nomad was also Made in China!?!)

A double cylinder Yong Heng like machine with water cooling option (external) is however around 500$ here (also available locally).
The packaging looks like Hill EC300 from Andy’s Video, and sturdy with proper Condenser and other necessary parts.
It weighs around 27Kg and appears to be a sturdy build.
I’m adding snaps for You to see, and demo videos that they have made (sorry for this guy, he didn’t have a partner for other angles)

The not so durable look and feel of the Nomad-like box + thought of weak parts inside, and only a 150$ difference is pushing me to side for the Yong-Heng like machine.
would You mind moving through the video? maybe You might figure out some features/cons of the product that i might have missed?

Machine Intro:

Filling Demo:

3C51D8F6-A50B-41A8-8E28-2349FE2E18AA.jpeg

C226254A-8438-4DEB-91EB-16D9DCA540ED.jpeg

The Nomad Brother:

5931D875-6492-46A0-A8BA-D3276C884B28.jpeg

consider 300cc bottle fill thrice a week, or 15 fills a month (i m at this stage at the moment).
I have the hand-pump and it's sure the best fit on long-life requirement but i'm looking to buy an electric option.

Which last longer than other requiring comparatively lesser service/maintenance?
    (not breathing quality though, but not really portable either as they weigh around 30Kgs)

View attachment 285133
-SoulSniper
I’m monitoring this threat, I was going to ask a similar question.

Just my opinion. Either go on the real cheap side or go all out and spend 3k or more on an alkin. I think the 700-1500 dollar options are just going to eventually fail like the cheapies. For cheapo I would say yong heng and if you need a 12v option one of the GX compressors. Both of these have part availability when they die.

Another choice to look at is the Omega Trail Charger at just over 12.7 kg it can be portable or not. Lubrication is from a built in grease pot and is water cooled with a fan blowing over a radiator. I've had it for only a month so I can't attest to long term durability, but it seems solid and well built.
you bought a good one I regularly fill my gun and a 550cc bottle.. it does start blowing slightly warm air on the 550cc bottle by the end of the fill.. I've had mine for over 2 years.. I also like that it's clean dry breathing air and the bleed knob, when you are done filling clears the water trap.. if it is winter, I have mine in the garage so a little more humid, so during winter months after I fill, I will let it run free out the bleeder just to be sure it's drying out inside.. the only thing I could say could be improved on is if it had a 12v cord and a 110 cord, both plug in.. guess I just don't like the external power supply and extra connection since I always use the 110..
bought mine from airguns of Arizona and they are a very good company..
mark

View attachment 285133
-SoulSniper
if you are still looking.. the Omega trail charger.. you can see my post farther down the thread.. one thing that I forgot to say is that it's slow so I think it will last very long.. not too bad filling a gun with a tube reservoir like the air venturi avenger.. but takes time for the 550 cc tank.. but no worries, it's got a pressure gauge that you set cutoff pressure and let it go.. just barely slightly warm air from it's fan filling the 550 cc tank to 3600psi.. now if you want to fill a larger tank say. 75 cu ft.. I'd probably run it for awhile and check air temperature from the fan .. just guessing that I would probably let it take a break and rest a few times.. depending on if you were doing a top off or mostly empty tank.. airguns of Arizona is the place.. mark

if you are still looking.. the Omega trail charger.. you can see my post farther down the thread.. one thing that I forgot to say is that it's slow so I think it will last very long.. not too bad filling a gun with a tube reservoir like the air venturi avenger.. but takes time for the 550 cc tank.. but no worries, it's got a pressure gauge that you set cutoff pressure and let it go.. just barely slightly warm air from it's fan filling the 550 cc tank to 3600psi.. now if you want to fill a larger tank say. 75 cu ft.. I'd probably run it for awhile and check air temperature from the fan .. just guessing that I would probably let it take a break and rest a few times.. depending on if you were doing a top off or mostly empty tank.. airguns of Arizona is the place.. mark
hey thanks, Mark! i tried searching but for India, either they're not shipping, or the cost is way way up. Looking at several Portable ones in Trail and Nomad dimensions, from the options available here, i'm getting confused what i'll get in the box... as there're companies, say Omega and others who must have used good quality parts, and then there're cheap counterparts that won't last. But i wouldn't know until i open and inspect.

hey @Sqwirlfugger57 , @Cannonball , @Ranchibi , @Pfddi , @Ca_Varminter , @2372ighost , @Puppadore , @Bullpupone , @Trucker3573 , @markhooper !!
Thanks for Your time over my query...
Searching and moving through multiple video reviews across GTA, Youtube, Airgun101 and here, i bumped Steve's Video on Hatsan AirTact.
And it reminded me of the double-cylinder option that's available here (snap below), the Crank Case and Cylinder Head Bolts look all the same.
At the same time, the AirTact casing has Chinese scripts of whatever it reads, so i'm assuming this option is something i'd go for... Though what's available here hasn't got the digital Controls on Purging, Auto-Thermal Cut-Off, it's got the mechanical Pressure Setting knob that'll take care of the filling.
The Thermal cut-off, i can build myself into it.
The AirTact looks like to be a Better Build and equipped Version of what's available here...

What Ya'll say? it's a 150$ difference between the Table-Top Box and the heavier built one...

Locally Available option - Front Side view:
Locally Available Piston Compressor.jpeg

AirTact Snap:
Hatsan_AirTact_Compressor.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't catch that you are in India.. guess I thought Indiana.. I don't know what to tell you now.. so much has changed since covid and availability.. I have no clue what would be available to you.. I buy from another company pyramid air, but honestly I don't know anything about shipping or if it can be done.. different countries have different laws plus there's probably import fees and I can imagine expensive shipping.. I'm sorry

mark

I'm sorry I didn't catch that you are in India.. guess I thought Indiana.. I don't know what to tell you now.. so much has changed since covid and availability.. I have no clue what would be available to you.. I buy from another company pyramid air, but honestly I don't know anything about shipping or if it can be done.. different countries have different laws plus there's probably import fees and I can imagine expensive shipping.. I'm sorry

mark
absolutely no worries, Mark! Your inputs helped me to get into the options and see how they're built...
Happy Weekend :)

I think if you look at all the compressors being sold, I would have to guess that Tuxing and Yong Heng make well over 90% of all of them. The main difference is where you will get your service and support. I bought a Tuxing directly from them and it crapped out after less than 1 hour use and now I have to send it back... PIA! If you don't mind tinkering and/or a possible wait for parts, then I think you could by at the lowest price directly from the OEM.

Last edited:
  • Love
For the smaller rifle filling compressors i would prefer a model spreading the load on 2 cylinders. And i would shop local for warranty purposes.
I am going for a large 4 cylinder compressor that will fill my 12 L bottles as i prefer to fill from them and shoot tethered to such a bottle while shooting.

Of course a compressor like the Italian Coltri Compressor i am looking at, it is a whole other price bracket, on the other hand you can make a little money filling divers bottles or other airgunners bottles.

My one 300 BAR 12 L bottle tend to last me a month, with me first shooting my FX maverick, then when the pressure in the large tank drop to under 200 - 180 BAR i change to shooting my Vulcan 3 rifle until i reach 110 - 100 BAR, then it is time to a refill,,,,, which i will go today to get at a fellow airgunner, which unlike dive shops will fill my 12L bottle to 300 BAR.

I am going for a gasoline engine powered compressor as the "Ghetto" / old wiring at my friends house i dont think it could pull a electric version, and i am a too nice guy to run a compressor ( electric ) in my 2 floor apartment.

• Love