• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP Noob w/ FX Impact Mk2 Questions

Hello all! First time poster.

I've been shooting with a break-barrel rifle for awhile but recently decided to take the plunge into PCP.

I'm a tinkerer so I decided to get an FX Impact Mk2 since it seems like it has a lot of room for expansion as I grow with the gun -- though I plan to take it slow. From what I can see of the engineering of this gun, it will let you tune straight to permanent damage so... yeah. 

For now I started with a .22 but I also ordered a .30 barrel kit for fun. I can't believe how quiet this thing is.

Ok my questions...

I did read the manual, I did search youtube, I did search the forum.

#1. The manual says: "Only use the safety when the rifle is cocked!". What's the deal here? I have to cock it first, then put it into "Safe", then uncock for storage?

#2. Let's say I cocked the gun with the magazine and now there's a round in the chamber. Suppose I get a case of explosive diarrhea and call it quits for the day. How do I unload the pellet that has been pushed down the barrel by the pellet probe?

#3. There is no guard around the tank or the barrel, yet both appear to flex when I apply pressure. How gentle do I need to be with this gun?

#4. Am I going to crack the Carbon Fiber tank if it flexes from bumping something?

#5. Will the barrel suffer permanent warpage from resting the gun on the barrel? like leaning it against the wall (unloaded of course) ?

#6. If the barrel flexes this much? How much does that play into the barrel accuracy relative to the scope calibration?

Thanks for the noob-assist, I'll plug answers into the original post to help out future noobs like me.

Great questions and I too, hopefully, will soon be in a similar situation! Don't mean to hijack but could I also add:

#7. Is it safe to de-gas by dry firing and if so do you need to do it at the lowest setting on the Powerwheel?

By de-gas do you mean clear out the air stored in the gun after removing the tank?

If so, according to the manual, it is recommended to turn the power wheel to min and then dry fire. The regulator should then read zero.

Hi ShooterStr8

I can offer some opinions

#4 the carbon fibre tank is very robust. It is an aluminium cylinder wrapped in carbon fibre. I doubt you could "crack" the tank .Be careful when you fit a bipod as the quick detach can be very close to the tank and there is a possibility of gouging the tank. 

#8 you either need to shoot out the pellet/slug or get a right size wood dowel and push it out from muzzle to breach.

As a recommendation get a CARM single shot magazine which you WILL find is invaluable.

For KulaHI you don't have to dry fire necessarily to de gas the gun, although dry firing will not damage the gun.

If you take off the bottle you can load a single pellet (see above) and shoot it at what ever the power wheel is set at into a suitable stop (into the ground say) and the pressure left in the gun will let go (hiss) usually only takes one pellet at Max in my experience.

Regards

Deafdog

Hi ShooterStr8

#4 the carbon fibre tank is very robust. It is an aluminium cylinder wrapped in carbon fibre. I doubt you could "crack" the tank .Be careful when you fit a bipod as the quick detach can be very close to the tank and there is a possibility of gouging the tank. 

#8 you either need to shoot out the pellet/slug or get a right size wood dowel and push it out from muzzle to breach.

As a recommendation get a CARM single shot magazine which you WILL find is invaluable.

For KulaHI you don't have to dry fire necessarily to de gas the gun, although dry firing will not damage the gun.

If you take off the bottle you can load a single pellet (see above) and shoot it at what ever the power wheel is set at into a suitable stop (into the ground say) and the pressure left in the gun will let go (hiss) usually only takes one pellet at Max in my experience.

Regards

Deafdog

Cool thank you -- I am interested in the single-shot magazine, I will check it out.

Hi ShooterStr8

Regards

Deafdog

Great questions and I too, hopefully, will soon be in a similar situation! Don't mean to hijack but could I also add:

#7. Is it safe to de-gas by dry firing and if so do you need to do it at the lowest setting on the Powerwheel?

By de-gas do you mean clear out the air stored in the gun after removing the tank?

If so, according to the manual, it is recommended to turn the power wheel to min and then dry fire. The regulator should then read zero.

Yes thanks! Saw a video where it was mentioned that might damage the rifle but also have seen video where people do it all the time.

Hey Aaron

I’m also new to PCP and impact and here are my Limited opinions/experience.

#2. Let's say I cocked the gun with the magazine and now there's a round in the chamber. Suppose I get a case of explosive diarrhea and call it quits for the day. How do I unload the pellet that has been pushed down the barrel by the pellet probe?

i just fire it into the ground really quick. You can also use some sort of rod to push it out.

#3. There is no guard around the tank or the barrel, yet both appear to flex when I apply pressure. How gentle do I need to be with this gun?

tanks is pretty robust but It will be unsafe if the carbon fiber gets damaged. there are sock or other protective protective products you can use, I happen to have some extra 3M clear bra tape and I used that. Not the most attractive but works and very light weight. 

#4. Am I going to crack the Carbon Fiber tank if it flexes from bumping something?
most likely not, it’s quite strong but eventually sharp items will tear into the carbon fiber so just be gentle. 

it’s a sniper rifle, not an AK.

#5. Will the barrel suffer permanent warpage from resting the gun on the barrel? like leaning it against the wall (unloaded of course) ? 
Shouldn’t cause damage but try not to do it since it might change your POI. 

#6. If the barrel flexes this much? How much does that play into the barrel accuracy relative to the scope calibration?

very much so, be very careful with the barrel. Barrel flex is also the reason we need to do harmonic tune at higher power 

Hey Aaron

I’m also new to PCP and impact and here are my Limited opinions/experience.

i just fire it into the ground really quick. You can also use some sort of rod to push it out.

tanks is pretty robust but It will be unsafe if the carbon fiber gets damaged. there are sock or other protective protective products you can use, I happen to have some extra 3M clear bra tape and I used that. Not the most attractive but works and very light weight. 

most likely not, it’s quite strong but eventually sharp items will tear into the carbon fiber so just be gentle. 

it’s a sniper rifle, not an AK.

Shouldn’t cause damage but try not to do it since it might change your POI. 

very much so, be very careful with the barrel. Barrel flex is also the reason we need to do harmonic tune at higher power

Thanks for the advice.

For #2 I wish there was a window to see that a pellet has been loaded. Once you engage the pellet probe, it's pushed far enough in that you cannot peek down the breech end.

I think a good sniper rifle can take a beating. I'm not so sure about this thing. A few bumps sure, but probably not a drop. I don't want to test it either ;)

Guys, there is much safer way to degas your Impacts. Remove the bottle by unscrewing it, a small amount of air will release at that time. To remove the air from the plenum. Simply use a Allen key on the regulator adjustment screw. Ever so slightly turn the set screw counter clockwise. Remember where the screw started at so you can turn it back after the air as bleed out. It only takes a tiny turn. Like one bar of increase to have the regulator start bleeding off. This way you wont risk damaging your valve or valve rod or causing the valve to hyper extend causing it to lock open. Mont

Guys, there is much safer way to degas your Impacts. Remove the bottle by unscrewing it, a small amount of air will release at that time. To remove the air from the plenum. Simply use a Allen key on the regulator adjustment screw. Ever so slightly turn the set screw counter clockwise. Remember where the screw started at so you can turn it back after the air as bleed out. It only takes a tiny turn. Like one bar of increase to have the regulator start bleeding off. This way you wont risk damaging your valve or valve rod or causing the valve to hyper extend causing it to lock open. Mont

Thanks for the info Mont!