PCP newbie

Hello,

I have a Diana 34 but I’ve been thinking about jumping into the PCP world for a few years now. At first I thought about getting a marauder to start. Seems like a decent entry level gun but here lately I’ve been thinking about just going all out and getting an FX impact or maverick. I know nothing about tuning or any of that. It’d mainly be for paper punching (at distance) and pest control (short distance). Money isn’t an issue but curious if I’d be getting in over my head with an FX. I’d like to get something in .25 or .30 cal. Any insight, suggestions, advice, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for the response. Didn’t think he was misleading me. I’m new to PCP. I actually haven’t even pulled the trigger on one yet. I didn’t realize the maverick isn’t good for long range. Why isn’t it not good for long ranges? If I got one it’d be the sniper version with the longer barrel. Longer ranges is definitely something I’m interested in. Apologies if these are dumb questions.

There's plenty of videos of the Maverick pesting at long range . Don't believe it doesn't do well at long range.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend looking for a used Brocock in 22 or 25cal. You can get some great deals on hardly used ones and find out if PCPs are really what you want and if not you can sell it probably for what you paid for it. Why buy new and get 1/2 what you paid for it just to say you have a new one? Same goes for any of the higher end guns. The want ads are full of like new guns someone just had to have and then it gets put away after hardly being shot. The first owners take the biggest hits. I learnded all this the hard way just like 90% of the guys on here LOL

I’ve heard good things about the avenger x. Why an impact over the maverick?
both rifles are very good. i personally like the Impact just because everything is made externally adjustable. My one gripe about the Maverick is you only have a gauge for tank pressure and a gauge for the 2nd regulator, If you're trying to tune the rifle and want to adjust the 1st stage you have to open up your 2nd regulator to let full pressure in and use the 2nd regulator gauge to read the 1st regulator, in the end its just a lot of gassing and degassing, where on the Impact it comes with gauges for both regulators. that being said both rifles are very good just comes down to your preference. hope this helps!

Reactions: Aviarx175
both rifles are very good. i personally like the Impact just because everything is made externally adjustable. My one gripe about the Maverick is you only have a gauge for tank pressure and a gauge for the 2nd regulator, If you're trying to tune the rifle and want to adjust the 1st stage you have to open up your 2nd regulator to let full pressure in and use the 2nd regulator gauge to read the 1st regulator, in the end its just a lot of gassing and degassing, where on the Impact it comes with gauges for both regulators. that being said both rifles are very good just comes down to your preference. hope this helps!
Ok gotcha.

I would highly recommend looking for a used Brocock in 22 or 25cal. You can get some great deals on hardly used ones and find out if PCPs are really what you want and if not you can sell it probably for what you paid for it. Why buy new and get 1/2 what you paid for it just to say you have a new one? Same goes for any of the higher end guns. The want ads are full of like new guns someone just had to have and then it gets put away after hardly being shot. The first owners take the biggest hits. I learnded all this the hard way just like 90% of the guys on here LOL
I’m definitely not opposed to buying used. I don’t think I’m allowed to use the classifieds here. Know of any good places to browse used ones?

It is possible to stay with one gun but not that practical. Every gun has a certain design parameter where it is good at, with a little tuning it can be excellent at those things. Every projectile has a barrel, speed and distance it is great at. When you start to go beyond those areas is when you start to get into issues. For me,

.177 good at less than 30 yards
22 good for plinking from 20 and depending on projectile out to 400- 500 yards
.25 for me 100 to 500 yards as I only do slugs with this cal.
.30 for my impact 50 to 200. Too loud for my neighborhood but acceptable with lower speeds or with a donny Emperor. But for long distance the Coefficient of friction makes the flight path like hucking a rock. At least out of my impact, so knowing your exact distance is even more important than the smaller calibers.

Just be careful when you say money is no big deal. Everyone has a different number. I said the same and stopped counting after 30 months when I was over 30k. This rabbit hole is a addiction, although I slowed down a whole lot, I have not stopped.

Allen

Last edited:
Reactions: Aviarx175