PCP newbie

Hello,

I have a Diana 34 but I’ve been thinking about jumping into the PCP world for a few years now. At first I thought about getting a marauder to start. Seems like a decent entry level gun but here lately I’ve been thinking about just going all out and getting an FX impact or maverick. I know nothing about tuning or any of that. It’d mainly be for paper punching (at distance) and pest control (short distance). Money isn’t an issue but curious if I’d be getting in over my head with an FX. I’d like to get something in .25 or .30 cal. Any insight, suggestions, advice, or recommendations would be appreciated.

I got into PCP not long ago. I purchased a couple of budget rifles and now regret it. I will be setting my sights on something with the accuracy/quality of an FX. You can buy a higher end gun and it will shoot accurately out of the box (provided you find ammo to match that particular tune). Tuning can be mastered with time as long as one gets a rifle that CAN be tuned for your foreseeable needs (pellets, slugs, weights and distances). Call up Airguns of Arizona, Utah Airguns or The Pellet Shop (to name a few) and they'll help. They'll even re-tune and outfit one for you upon request$$.. YouTube different reviews so you may see these guns in action.. Happy shooting!

I started with a Maverick, now have an M3. There are so many good video's and threads that tuning starts out appearing to be daunting but really isn't. Especially for pellets.
In my mind .25 cal is the most versatile for your needs.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe jumping in head first is the way to go. Do you have any idea how loud it is compared to my springer?

I got into PCP not long ago. I purchased a couple of budget rifles and now regret it. I will be setting my sights on something with the accuracy/quality of an FX. You can buy a higher end gun and it will shoot accurately out of the box (provided you find ammo to match that particular tune). Tuning can be mastered with time as long as one gets a rifle that CAN be tuned for your foreseeable needs (pellets, slugs, weights and distances). Call up Airguns of Arizona, Utah Airguns or The Pellet Shop (to name a few) and they'll help. They'll even re-tune and outfit one for you upon request$$.. YouTube different reviews so you may see these guns in action.. Happy shooting!
Thanks. That was kinda my thought. Buy once cry once.

Reactions: Rizz01
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe jumping in head first is the way to go. Do you have any idea how loud it is compared to my springer?
I have no idea, but my M3 25 pushing 35 grain pellets at 914 fps and over 60 fpe is backyard friendly with a Falx moderator on it.
I've shot plenty of rabbits at 30 yards and under where the other rabbits either took one or two hops then continued feeding or just kept eating without the hops.....for a few seconds anyway.

I started with springers as well. Cheap Chinese break barrel. Then bought HW97 .22 & .177.

First PCP was HW100T. That changed my world on airgun shooting. I could shoot better and farther and I never looked back since.
AirArmS510, Daystate Regal XL, FX Crown, FX Impact MK2 to follow.

Currently I am playing with the Snowpeak M60B and it is surprisingly well build and accurate thus far with the limited testings I have done so far.

It is a very deep "rabbit hole" that I have gotten myself into. But I do enjoy my journey and learned a lot along the way. Lots of information/videos out there to help you tune your gun, whatever you are getting.

Have fun and good luck.

I've got both a Maverick .22 Compact and a Maverick .25 VP, with the right Donny FL they are backyard friendly, unless you've got super Karens CLOSE by. I've had people walking on the street on the other side of my fence w/bushes and nary a comment and I reside in Karen central. Oh and I reach out to 125 yards on ground squirrels with both guns, nothing too special done either.

Oh and welcome to the Rabbit Hole®.

I have no idea, but my M3 25 pushing 35 grain pellets at 914 fps and over 60 fpe is backyard friendly with a Falx moderator on it.
I've shot plenty of rabbits at 30 yards and under where the other rabbits either took one or two hops then continued feeding or just kept eating without the hops.....for a few seconds anyway.
Sounds plenty quiet. Thanks!

I started with springers as well. Cheap Chinese break barrel. Then bought HW97 .22 & .177.

First PCP was HW100T. That changed my world on airgun shooting. I could shoot better and farther and I never looked back since.
AirArmS510, Daystate Regal XL, FX Crown, FX Impact MK2 to follow.

Currently I am playing with the Snowpeak M60B and it is surprisingly well build and accurate thus far with the limited testings I have done so far.

It is a very deep "rabbit hole" that I have gotten myself into. But I do enjoy my journey and learned a lot along the way. Lots of information/videos out there to help you tune your gun, whatever you are getting.

Have fun and good luck.
Thank you. Yes it does look like a rabbit hole. I’m trying to decide if I should just go all in and it’s sounding like that may be the route I take.

I've got both a Maverick .22 Compact and a Maverick .25 VP, with the right Donny FL they are backyard friendly, unless you've got super Karens CLOSE by. I've had people walking on the street on the other side of my fence w/bushes and nary a comment and I reside in Karen central. Oh and I reach out to 125 yards on ground squirrels with both guns, nothing too special done either.

Oh and welcome to the Rabbit Hole®.
lol. Thank you I’m afraid the rabbit hole is deeper than I realize.

As other had said, buy once cry once. Looking back at my journey, I have learned a lot with handling different guns and models. The springers had helped me built my foundation with proper shooting technique such as holds, follow thru and breathing. PCP guns just make it easier to do. However, the fundamental techniques still come in play with longer distances shooting with PCP. I am blessed to be able to afford the airguns I own, don't forget you will need air supply such as a compressor, tank etc. Luckily pellets/slugs are affordable than PB ammo.

If I had to do it all over again, I might just buy one that I could afford and hopefully learn along the way. But I would not have gained the knowledge and fun that I went thru with different types of air guns.

Do you research and hopefully you will get the one you want and it wouldn't be your last, lol. Good luck.

Here is my channel if you are interested. Air Rifle Pestings

Welcome aboard! It doesn't sound as though budget is a major concern for you. Though I'm well capable of tinkering & repairing PCP's I still like to keep things SIMPLE. There are many great out-of-the-box, very accurate guns available to us now. The Royale & Boss platform from FX are their simplest, tried & true benchrest/hunting shooters. Extremely low maintenance, reliable, repeatable & easy to work on if needed. Why not get something that allows you to spend your time in shooting enjoyment rather than spending hours of labor tinkering to get it "right". Taipan Veteran, Daystate Huntsman & others offer the same kind of simplicity & allow one to IMMEDIATELY experience what pcp's can do without the work.

As other had said, buy once cry once. Looking back at my journey, I have learned a lot with handling different guns and models. The springers had helped me built my foundation with proper shooting technique such as holds, follow thru and breathing. PCP guns just make it easier to do. However, the fundamental techniques still come in play with longer distances shooting with PCP. I am blessed to be able to afford the airguns I own, don't forget you will need air supply such as a compressor, tank etc. Luckily pellets/slugs are affordable than PB ammo.

If I had to do it all over again, I might just buy one that I could afford and hopefully learn along the way. But I would not have gained the knowledge and fun that I went thru with different types of air guns.

Do you research and hopefully you will get the one you want and it wouldn't be your last, lol. Good luck.

Here is my channel if you are interested. Air Rifle Pestings

Daystate Regal XL in .22 would be my suggestion for out of the box. Just shoot and have fun.
Thanks. I’ll check those out.

Welcome aboard! It doesn't sound as though budget is a major concern for you. Though I'm well capable of tinkering & repairing PCP's I still like to keep things SIMPLE. There are many great out-of-the-box, very accurate guns available to us now. The Royale & Boss platform from FX are their simplest, tried & true benchrest/hunting shooters. Extremely low maintenance, reliable, repeatable & easy to work on if needed. Why not get something that allows you to spend your time in shooting enjoyment rather than spending hours of labor tinkering to get it "right". Taipan Veteran, Daystate Huntsman & others offer the same kind of simplicity & allow one to IMMEDIATELY experience what pcp's can do without the work.
Thanks for your suggestions. I had not considered that because I’m not familiar with those but I’ll definitely take a look at them.

Aviarx,
Bought my Bronze M3 Sniper .25 in April 2021. After barrel cleaning and installing scope, shot JSB 33.95 grain pellets right on the money, then, and still today, never adjusted anything. Changed trigger guard to K&L Generation 2 so my $70 UUQ Anjoite bipod would fit, that's all for accessories, other than a longer ($12.95) fill port connector. Only problem was magazine feed jamming, corrected, under warranty, by re-designed magazine. No other problems or leaks, just accurate, quiet performance. WM

Reactions: Aviarx175
I have two early FX Impacts MK1's have shoot many rounds been 177 cal. to 30 cal. They are 25 cal. now. Upgraded one to power plenum and one to power block and 720 plenum.
Bought a M3 Impact a little over a year ago 25 cal. sniper out of the box no adjustments to this day. I shoot from 50 yards to 100 yards on my property very accurate and I feel you don't have to spend time tuning if you are happy with shooting squirrels out to 100 yards. I have two friends that bought M3's as there first pcp and are very happy. Its all about fun good luck.

Reactions: Aviarx175