PCP Newbie just purchased a Hatsan AT44S-10 QE

After doing a lot of research and reviews, I finally bought the Hatsan AT44S-10 QE in .22 cal. I have many questions that I haven't found answers to yet. Hopefully some owners of this gun can help provide me with the answers. The gun is rated to fill at 2900 psi. As far as I have been able to learn, that may not be the best fill pressure to get the best results for accuracy. At what pressure do most people fill to, and how low of pressure do you let the gun get to before accuracy falls off? How many shots in that range. I gather that a chronograph is a good tool to help you find the best settings, and that will probably come in the near future, but I don't have one yet. I don't even have the gun yet. Due to arrive on Wed. I would just like to have a starting point for now. Appreciate any help.
Lamar

Do you have the long or standard version? I had a 22 long. Before it was modded I got best results from filling to 2600-2700 psi and shooting 3 magazines. Lots of variables will determine what your gun shooting at so a chrony will be necessary to see exactly what speed it's shooting the pellets. I don't know how much hammer tension was on my gun from the factory but mine was shooting pretty hot when I got it. I adjusted the tension so that I was getting the mid to low (915-940ish) for 3 magazines. After I did some mods and regulated it I had it set to shoot the 18 gr JSBs 895 fps. Be sure to try H&N pellets along with JSBs because a lot of people get better results with H&N with AT44s. Mine shot the 18 gr JSB and 16 gr Air Arms pellets great so was not an issue with me. 

Before you spend your money on additional features, I'd shoot a tin or two through the rifle first. And I'd try several different weights too. I used to own a .25 long version, and it was picky. Oddly enough, it shot the PolyMags fairly well compared to my .25 Marauder which doesn't like them at all. 

One thing about them, they are fairly quite, but I wouldn't call them back yard friendly.

"lamarkeiko"I've got the standard version. I don't quite understand the hammer tension. I'm thinking I will need a chronograph before I did any changes there. When you say you regulated your gun, do you mean you installed a regulator? I found a site that I can purchase a Hatsan AT44 regulator for $59.40. Would that be a good investment?
You will definitely need a chrony before making any changes. It's very simple to adjust the hammer tension. More tension means more power and vice versa. Yes I installed a regulator. I'm thinking you are referring to the Andruis regulator for $59. It's very good, but it's harder to adjust the reg pressure as precise as a Huma reg. If you are new to regs I would suggest getting a Huma when/if you decide to regulate it down the road. But like someone else said try to get a good feel for it in stock form before making any changes. Hatsan valves are pretty decent so you should be able to get 3 mags of consistent shots with minor adjustments or straight out the box. If you are going to use the gun for hunting that's more than enough.

I have an assortment of 5 different brand pellets and sizes left over from my RWS 52 I just sold that I will try first to see how they shoot. I also have a scope that may or may not be bad if my RWS 52 didn't ruin it. I'm very anxious to shoot this gun. I was never happy with the RWS 52. Way too hold sensitive and heavy. 10 lb 14 oz. with scope. There was no stuch thing as shooting that gun off hand.
blackdiezel, what pressure would you let your gun get to before you recharged to the 2600 or 2700 psi?
Lamar 

I didn't count shots - I just refilled after 30 shots. When i was testing mine I discovered that The ES was best at about 35 shots. The mag hold 10 pellets so to keep it simple I just refilled at that time. But depending on how much power your gun is set to it might be different. After I got mine modified and regulated I got 40 shots on the reg. But I had a long which has a larger air cylinder so my results will not be the same. A good way to test your results will be to put targets out at different distances and see when the POI changes at certain distances. If you will be hunting out to say 75 yards just check your POI vs shot count at that distance. Anything closer will be more forgiving and you should get more shots with no change. I trust Jim Chapman and this is his overview of the exact gun you are getting. He's shooting in high winds.

"lamarkeiko"Thanks for the info back. That was a good video. I'm sorry, but I don't know what ES stands for.
Sorry. It stands for extreme spread which is the difference between the lowest speed of your pellet and its highest speed. Where this is important is that pellets or any projectiles that are the same speed, weight etc, should have the same point of impact (POI). After certain distances pellets began to drop so if you are shooting at longer distances your POI will change depending on the amount of drop. On the other hand - your POI should be similar if your pellets are shooting near the same speed. 

Mine is the short .22 and I ended up turning the power down just a little to get 3 (30) consistent shots. Like Diesel said, don't mess with trying to tune it without a chrony. That's like shooting in the dark. If you search on youtube "how to adjust power on a Hatsan AT44" there's a video that explains it. There's also an easy mod to be able to do it without removing the stock. Search on youtube again. It's a good gun but it's no lightweight either, a bit front heavy. Mine does best with the JSB 18.1gr. I also have a Bullboss in .25 which is the AT44Long in a bullpup configuration.
Enjoy your new rifle!

Ed

Received my new rifle yesterday PM. Everything as expected. I'll see if I can get my scope mounted today and try some shooting. The only thing I was disappointed in was that there was no charge was so ever in the air cylinder. It did give me a chance though to try out my new pump that arrived the day before. Yesterday evening it took me 200 pumps to go from zero to 2600 psi. It seemed like the first 100 pumps did nothing, and I was wondering if anything was happening. I had to look real close on the pump gauge to see if it was registering. I think it took around 50 pumps to get from 1900 psi to 2600.
I only spent $70 for the pump on Amazon. It had very good reviews though. I wanted to keep my spending down as much as possible. So far it has cost me $404 total for the rifle, 2 extra magazines, Air Venturi quick disconnect and the pump. I think I've done good. I could have spent over $700 elsewhere.
The pump did take a little work to figure out. The Chinese instruction manual was worthless. I found an on line video that helped me get the pump assembled. There were some bagged up accessories that I don't know what their for though. I have some pictures I downloaded on Google Drive that I wanted to attach, but I don't understand how to do it.

Lamar

Let me see if this works.
The last picture of items in bags are what came with the pump. If anyone can identify these for me I'd appreciate it.
Lamar
658d7812a74a36b5670a3276b06ad8a9.jpg
93ab936250c83ba2290629e12ff0f336.jpg
8bac862cbfe0669bca6f43645e39e488.jpg
bd18007fedc4b40e29be602a7775dfb5.jpg
a11d60dea10bc8d50fb799339a97d380.jpg
04c9c94a4a3e3f453e658e34687ed3a1.jpg