PCP in NJ

Before I "escaped", to get a rifle, you had to first get a firearms ID card. Finger prints and application and a wait. The whole nine yards.

To get a pistol, it was the same as getting a powder burner, they both are viewed as firearms. You had to apply to the local police and have the chief or one of his underlings sign off on it. That gave you a "permit to purchase" which was good for a time limit, I think it was 60 days. Then you could buy the pistol. I suppose an internet purchase had to go through an FFL just like a powder burner does. The procedure may have gotten worse since I got out, I don't know.

Being the rifle and the pistol are full blown firearms, you technically can't fire them in your basement or yard either. I own a beautiful HW97 that is fully decked out with aftermarkets because my friend was caught shooting it in a backyard under perfectly safe conditions. The only thing that kept him out of jail was the state trooper that responded had some common sense, but told him he would have to cease and desist shooting there hence forth and forever more.

Now, with all the chatter about how powerful these things have become, all it will take is some congress critter to make it his or her mission to make air guns firearms on a federal level and we will all suffer the fate of N.J. and a few other states like it.

I grew up in South Jersey during the 60s. You could still buy a gun in hardware stores then although all firearm hunting was done with shotguns only, including big game. By the 70s it was already a police state. My father who served in WWII was able to bring home a .30 M1 Carbine that was in like new condition. The State stole it from him when they classified it as an assault weapon that could not be transferred even after his death. And I understand the police sell the guns they confiscate and keep the proceeds. He held an FFL he attained in 68 right after the 68 Gun Control Act. They hassled him so much he let it go. On my last trip there about 20 years back right after I crossed the Delaware River I saw 2 NJ State Troopers with some poor souls and all their belongings spread out on the highway medium. Some things never change I guess. 

I've lived in NJ all my life and have been a gun and archery enthusiast for just about as long. Beginning with the sixties the regulations started to infringe on our rights, to the point of being down right absurd now. Twenty years ago I purchase a cabin and some land in a pretty rural part of NY state. That is where I enjoy my shooting hobbies. New York is not much better than Jersey but at least I can legally buy up there and shoot on my property.