• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP guns in winter

Hey all, 

Been going all in on air guns and my centerfire units have sat for months. Have a couple FX units in the gun safe now and loving air gunning and shooting almost nightly now that I don’t have to drive anywhere to shoot and can get to 100 yards in my back yard... out here in the “semi country” as I like to call it. 

Any special things that I need to pay attention to or considerations when the snow flies and the temperature drops when it comes to PCP guns? Obviously my tanks and compressor will be stored inside as they always are and not in cold storage... I am more concerned about the guns.... ok to run when its cold and snow is on the ground? Thanks!!

What John said about scope acclimating to cold and shoot if you can when it snows. Watching its speed and direction will teach you to read wind great. Especially if you have 200 yards of snow covered fields and can see the strikes.

My concern about cold weather was bringing them back in and condensation. I let acclimate again before wiping down & putting away. 

I never worried about winter cold weather with my PCPs when I was in North Dakota & Montana for 3 years in below zero temps shooting at feedlots. Other than if you fill gun indoors then go outdoors for extended time your gauge will show lower psi. 

Now I’m in extreme heat in south Texas total opposite. Walking outdoors from inside my scope & gun fog up from cool to heat. 

Hey all,

Been going all in on air guns and my centerfire units have sat for months. Have a couple FX units in the gun safe now and loving air gunning and shooting almost nightly now that I don’t have to drive anywhere to shoot and can get to 100 yards in my back yard... out here in the “semi country” as I like to call it.

Any special things that I need to pay attention to or considerations when the snow flies and the temperature drops when it comes to PCP guns? Obviously my tanks and compressor will be stored inside as they always are and not in cold storage... I am more concerned about the guns.... ok to run when its cold and snow is on the ground?

Hey all,

Any special things that I need to pay attention to or considerations when the snow flies and the temperature drops when it comes to PCP guns? Obviously my tanks and compressor will be stored inside as they always are and not in cold storage... I am more concerned about the guns.... ok to run when its cold and snow is on the ground? Thanks!!
I live in Iowa. Weather here is currently in the 20's. Only issue that I have is a drop of 10-20 bar when I take my guns outside. Not really a problem.