• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP for shooting steel

Hello,
I am new to airguns but have a background in powder-burners. I currently have an aea 25 hp varmint and FX impact M3 .22 and am having a riot shooting at 200yards and greater for near no cost. I am looking to delve into air pistols, my local club has a very nice steel handgun range, I am looking for something that has the ability to knock over the plates if possible. I appreciate any help!

Most pellet pistols are made for accuracy, not power. Think 10 meter target shooting. I have a HW44 at 12 fpe that gets 20 shots per fill and that is pretty impressive. Hatsan and Reximex came out with new pistols this year, might check them out.

The only true steel ringer I can think of is the legend, Quakenbush. I still want one.

Those Quackenbush guns look really interesting.

Like maxtrouble, I can't think of any seriously high-powered air pistols.

From an engineering perspective, it would be difficult to fit all that air, barrel and handgrip in a small package. The Quackenbush does it with a very long "rifle without a stock" approach.

The main engineering problem you have is that PCPs have far less air pressure to work with to power the projectile, compared with a powderburner. Traditionally you make the barrel longer, to give the gun more time to accellerate the projectile. The shorter your barrel, the more air you're wasting and there's a law of diminishing returns in terms of barrel length and projectile speed.

I suppose if I had to build a high-speed pistol, I'd maybe try to go for something in a bullpup format, i.e. have the barrel extend behind the grip almost as much as it extends in front of the grip. Or you could go with a fairly traditional format, but have the air tethered to the gun in a backpack. That way you could waste a tonne of air to get velocity up, and not be so concerned with running out immediately.

There's probably a few that have the power and accuracy.

But these two PCP guns are capable, though, unfortunately hard to get.

The Ataman AP16 (.22) has plenty of power and is adjustable, but slightly so. The trigger is also adjustable. Magazine fed.
Seems that they may not be currently manufactured, but I've seen a couple of locations where you can still buy new. Also, have seen used.
1675640061128.jpeg

And the Kalibrgun Ocelot (.22).
You'll have to find this one used as I did. Also adjustable, trigger and power. Single shot.
1675640254904.jpeg

Mike

There are no high power PCP pistols out of the box that I am aware of, but there have been some very impressive customs being made. Look up on youtube Huben K1 .25 pistol. The developer claims very impressive numbers.

I have an inexpensive PP700SA single shot regulated pistol in .22 that gets 40 shots per charge at 600 fps using JSB 15 gr pellets. Very accurate and efficient.

There are no high power PCP pistols out of the box that I am aware of, but there have been some very impressive customs being made. Look up on youtube Huben K1 .25 pistol. The developer claims very impressive numbers.

I have an inexpensive PP700SA single shot regulated pistol in .22 that gets 40 shots per charge at 600 fps using JSB 15 gr pellets. Very accurate and efficient.
That huben pistol looks fantastic, really beautiful custom project. Was hoping I would see some factory made as they would sell like hotcakes!

Reactions: steve-l
Hello,
I am new to airguns but have a background in powder-burners. I currently have an aea 25 hp varmint and FX impact M3 .22 and am having a riot shooting at 200yards and greater for near no cost. I am looking to delve into air pistols, my local club has a very nice steel handgun range, I am looking for something that has the ability to knock over the plates if possible. I appreciate any help!
Curious, how accurate is the M3 at 100+?

There's going to be a new player in the pcp pistol game, the Evanix Viper in .25 caliber. This is a magazine fed repeater that should have enough down range power and pellet momentum to knock down those steel silhouettes.

Any chance you have a link to a review on that Evanix? I’m curious how many good shots you could get per fill.