• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP for Deer, your thoughts?

Kids and I are setup and have started to get our land ready for hunting (birds). GOt advice from friends and hopefully next year will be a good year in FL. We want to be able to do some deer hunting. Now we have a Impact with slug barrel in .30. However did some reading and looks as though most sites recommend .357 as the minimum caliber for deer. Florida and GA simply state .30.

What would you recommend as far as caliber? .357? and if so then what air rifle? I see Benjamin makes a bullpup in .357. otherwise any recommendations? Shot opportunity on my property is under 100 yards, some food plots cleared out for that. Have to build the blinds still... lots to do.

Im not knockin the original post,, I know your just looking for information..

( I am how-ever on you VDWB. Come-on on your "Id give it a nod" If your shooting a fawn maybe 

Remember this when were talking about Foot pounds energy FPE.. a .22LR (firearm) makes approx 130 fpe at the muzzle, while using a lighter 40gr slug than a .30 cal pcp - standard 44.75gr Jsb up to 66gr NSA slugs if they fit in an impact magazine, idk,,,, but it Carries that 40gr slug faster (fps) than any .30 cal pcp I know of... 1220-1280 depending on brand. That's why its got a 50 FPE advantage over a stock .30 pcp.

Anyway,, a .22LR will kill a deer, but you'll chase it for a mile in the woods while it suffers and dies..

Your making approx 80 fpe at the muzzle on a "stock" .30cal impact. At 50yds hard to say but roughly drops to 60-65fpe,, even with slugs .

150 FPME(at the muzzle) is what the .357 bulldog hits with using 81gr pellets,, that you mentioned.. Pellets drop fps considerably faster than slugs, but at 50 yds, I'd cut 25- 30% off fpe to be safe no matter what ammo or gun your using.. Now using 145gr Nosler slugs bulldog can push closer to 200fpe stock, and with some tweaking and a bore increase, 300 FPE. Much more reasonable for bigger game..

But Humanely ... 220+ FPE is what many southern and western states (Texas for example.) Require for a minimum..

Not to get off topic, I got a whitetail, last fall 2019, with my Air force Texan .45. 411gr slugs that i hollow point myself, perfect heart/ lung shot.. she still ran 600yds through the woods.. that's 660 FPE at 35yd shot...

Even firearms. 30-06 or .308. Pushing 2600- 3000 FPE. 200 lb deer will still run a few hundred feet then drop and die..

Now what do u think 65 FPE will do to a reasonable sized deer. peirce it skin, and get stuck in its shoulder so it can walk for a week,, or hit a lung, so it can breathe for a day,, before finally dying..

It's like shooting a dog in the ass with a bb or airsoft gun..

Iike I said,, I'm not knockin anyone,, not discriminating,, just information for you's..Sorry for length. 

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
Im not knockin the original post,, I know your just looking for information..

( I am how-ever on you VDWB. Come-on on your "Id give it a nod" If your shooting a fawn maybe 

Remember this when were talking about Foot pounds energy FPE.. a .22LR (firearm) makes approx 130 fpe at the muzzle, while using a lighter 40gr slug than a .30 cal pcp - standard 44.75gr Jsb up to 66gr NSA slugs if they fit in an impact magazine, idk,,,, but it Carries that 40gr slug faster (fps) than any .30 cal pcp I know of... 1220-1280 depending on brand. That's why its got a 50 FPE advantage over a stock .30 pcp.

Anyway,, a .22LR will kill a deer, but you'll chase it for a mile in the woods while it suffers and dies..

Your making approx 80 fpe at the muzzle on a "stock" .30cal impact. At 50yds hard to say but roughly drops to 60-65fpe,, even with slugs .

150 FPME(at the muzzle) is what the .357 bulldog hits with using 81gr pellets,, that you mentioned.. Pellets drop fps considerably faster than slugs, but at 50 yds, I'd cut 25- 30% off fpe to be safe no matter what ammo or gun your using.. Now using 145gr Nosler slugs bulldog can push closer to 200fpe stock, and with some tweaking and a bore increase, 300 FPE. Much more reasonable for bigger game..

But Humanely ... 220+ FPE is what many southern and western states (Texas for example.) Require for a minimum..

Not to get off topic, I got a whitetail, last fall 2019, with my Air force Texan .45. 411gr slugs that i hollow point myself, perfect heart/ lung shot.. she still ran 600yds through the woods.. that's 660 FPE at 35yd shot...

Even firearms. 30-06 or .308. Pushing 2600- 3000 FPE. 200 lb deer will still run a few hundred feet then drop and die..

Now what do u think 65 FPE will do to a reasonable sized deer. peirce it skin, and get stuck in its shoulder so it can walk for a week,, or hit a lung, so it can breathe for a day,, before finally dying..

It's like shooting a dog in the ass with a bb or airsoft gun..

Iike I said,, I'm not knockin anyone,, not discriminating,, just information for you's..Sorry for length.

Didnt take it as a knock at all. Havent bought any gun yet to do so. It is a question of information gathering and you explained well. Thank you. It was also a question of if we were to try with Air Rifles then what calibar would folks recommend. It seems you have attempted it with a Air Force in .45. So that helps my thought process. I was thnking of going minimum of .357, but i am also unsure of the quality of the Bulldog platform.

That being said, it is all theory right now. If i need to i will grab my 30/06 that was made by my friend who is a gunsmith (centerfire) and it is a dream for a large calibar to shoot. With the Leupold he put on it even makes my dumb ass look good on paper when at the rifle range. lol. He built it on a savage action. Very smooth and crisp. Best trigger out of any bolt action i own. Now i am veering off the topic lol.

Thanks again for your input.

Benjamin in general is American made quality. 

My bulldog was great, as always tho there are some bad ones produced.. like everything. 

Stock form it was right on the money of what Benjamin says it produce's for fps and FPE. 910 fps w/ 81gr - 149 fpe. And 820 fps w/ 145 gr Nosler - 190-200 FPE. 

But the rifle can ( safely and reliably ) produce double those numbers with just a drill bit and flat head screwdriver..

Pitbullairguns.com youtube channel. Shows you the basics. 

I made over 320 FPE using heavier 167gr hollow points. 

200 FPE using just 81gr polymags. Over 1,060 fps.

I never liked the look of the rifle,, (ultimately why I sold it, and because I upgraded to .45).

But solid gun. Quick, smooth, 5 shot repeater. Not overly heavy when compared to other guns for the price. The magazine can also fit any .357 pellet or slug made (except 212gr) unlike other .357 magazine fed rifles..

For if money were no object,, a .357 impact would be a nice rifle.. I dont think the magazine is wide enough for heavy slugs tho ( like 127 up to 145 noslers, ect..) so limited on FPE.

Bulldog was a 5 shot repeater..

I was gonna add. If you like the Air force Texan. The .308 .357 are great guns too.

.308 for better accuracy and faster flatter travel. Since your state allows for deer with a .30,,, or,,,

.357 for power,, stock in 300fpe area,, still excellent accuracy. And Can shoot pellets for cheap plinking and slugs for hunting, but limits you to single loading.. not as bad as it seems, I thought I was gonna hate single loading.. but I got used to it, and now can wrap 2 shots in just a few seconds. I got a semi auto Evanix, (with a AR spec receiver) for the fun shooting

Or like me a .457. I shoot 150gr pellets over 1130 fps,, 400fpe. Well into the power range for deer, and there very cheap to buy... plinking having fun.. or hunting I like 411gr FP I hollow point then.. accurate to an inch at 100yds. 

500 spire pt. Next best I've shot.

Anyway heavy slugs are 660 to well over 700 FPE. For hunting anything you want to hunt..

150 gr pellets are wicked for coyotes. At 100-150 yds across a farm field. It's like shooting my .22 mag or .223.

No way I would even think about shooting a deer with your 30 cal. Not enough energy unless you put it in the brain from 50 yds or closer. 

Have you ever shot and killed a deer? They are tough animals and they deserve more. I would consider one of the larger bore pcps to kill with but nothing less. My opinion...

No I have not. And that is why I asked for advice. In order to start in the right direction and the right thing. Just because that is the minimum does not mean it works.
then again I have friends who now hunt all the time. I listen to their stories, see the smiles on their faces as the tell of the adventure of tracking the injured deer and getting it. So hunting appears to me to be a very spread notion as to what is humane. I am still practicing on shot placement and accuracy. I would prefer to drop the animal as fast as possible. If I can get to that skill level. So I am asking for guidance. Thanks.

Bulldog was a 5 shot repeater..

I was gonna add. If you like the Air force Texan. The .308 .357 are great guns too.

.308 for better accuracy and faster flatter travel. Since your state allows for deer with a .30,,, or,,,

.357 for power,, stock in 300fpe area,, still excellent accuracy. And Can shoot pellets for cheap plinking and slugs for hunting, but limits you to single loading.. not as bad as it seems, I thought I was gonna hate single loading.. but I got used to it, and now can wrap 2 shots in just a few seconds. I got a semi auto Evanix, (with a AR spec receiver) for the fun shooting

Or like me a .457. I shoot 150gr pellets over 1130 fps,, 400fpe. Well into the power range for deer, and there very cheap to buy... plinking having fun.. or hunting I like 411gr FP I hollow point then.. accurate to an inch at 100yds. 

500 spire pt. Next best I've shot.

Anyway heavy slugs are 660 to well over 700 FPE. For hunting anything you want to hunt..

150 gr pellets are wicked for coyotes. At 100-150 yds across a farm field. It's like shooting my .22 mag or .223.

Thank you. I haven’t seen those up for sale in the classifieds but will add them to the list. But I haven’t seen a bulldog either lol.

I did not know the .357 was going to be a option on my current Impact. That is good to know. I need to get the power plenum for sure.

I should have clarified, I would only use a .30 cal w/ slugs with a shot to the HEAD. Shot placement needs to be perfect. A fawn is just as tough as a full grown deer but their sculls are not any thinner. I doubt that Florida deer are any bigger or tougher than the whitetail here in South Dakota. All this being said, I would just use my 30.06, it has never failed to drop a deer. I do think anything less than a 6mm/243 cal PB is unethical to hunt whitetail but people legally use their .223s all the time. Shot placement is critical with underpowered guns.

To the OP. First of all sir I commend you for seeking advise before you start taking shots at live animals. You say you have no experience at killing deer. I have over 60 years with a variety of weapons and will share some facts. If you are hunting thick cover you want your projectile to exit on the lower half of the body in the heart/lung area to give you an immediate blood trail because a mortally wounded deer can cover 200 yards in seconds and without a blood trail they very hard to find. One time I shot a buck in the snow with my bow. I hit him through both lungs but the arrow exited on the upper half of the deer. As I tracked him in the snow I noticed there was no blood trail and couldn't believe it. After about 100 yards I looked back toward the tree I shot him from and noticed my boot prints were pink, He was blowing a very fine spray through his nostrils. That is why I say go for a low exit. If you have a weapon heavy enough to drop them with a shoulder shot immediately then you can take it but you will ruin a lot of meat. I know as I process my own. The trouble with a shoulder shot is if he doesn't go down immediately he may be hard to find because the blood seems to clot very quickly on shoulder shots. I have shot deer through the front shoulder and got both lungs leaving the arrow sticking in the ground and had no trail because all bleeding was internal. Head and neck shots are off limits for me because I have seen deer with arrows through their head because guys thought they would drop in their tracks. I had a hunting partner shoot a buck one day and as we were dragging it out a group of guys that had shot it 5 hours earlier and were tracking it in the snow stopped us to see where the hunter had hit it. He aimed for the head and blew it's windpipe off. You say you are starting your kids off hunting which is great so start them off right. Since recoil isn't a factor like on a powder burner why not go with a heaver caliber. I am sure you don't want to start a thread a year from now asking us whether we think a .30 is too light because one of your kids crippled a deer. That can happen with any caliber but if you use a heavy caliber your margin for error increased greatly. IMO if the tool of choice will not exit the boiler house right behind the front leg, you need a bigger gun. And always remember you may get a quartering away shot which most guys like but you need more gun because your will be projectile will have to penetrate more tissue because of the angle. Whatever you decide, have fun because the only thing better than hunting is hunting with your kids.

Air guns haven taken much larger then deer sized game in past few years , many states it is legal now , Fx impact I dont think can meet FPE requirements , But hatsan and air force and other guns have many producing over 700 fpe , I agree with profsgary deer can travel along way shot with a much powerful gun and run very far , Shot placement is everything If you practice alot and can hit a 2 inch target 10 of 10 times and have over 200fpe at that distance , I believe most states are 35 cal and above , yes , but only shoot with in your limits , with proper ammo , I my self hunt deer but with center-fires not PCP guns , I do have accurate enough guns and powerful enough but I prefer powder burners for this type of hunt , , If I were to buy one one though for strictly big bore Id buy the Hatsan Pile driver with 700 to 800fpr with 45 or 50 cal with a 500 gr slug , and the gun can shoot very well at 100 yds .This has plenty of power for even an elk or bison

LOU

Love my Bulldog.

1588798625_1527875885eb324a1a67689.16226789.jpg