• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP filter EXPLOSION experience

I was messing around with a MK1 spare mag, with a HPA adapter, just cheking leaks at 500 PSI (I was exploring the idea of designing a 3d printed pistol with integrated pump, the working presure of green gas mags are 150, so a 400/500 will produce much better results and the Mk1 Mag seem capable to take those pressures cause it's basically the same as the Co2 counterpart).

Well... test passed, I was about to bleed the valve but... meh... it's just 500 PSI, it will be a funny puf.

It is not...

A fraction of a second later, I, plus the walls, are covered in what can only be pulverized traces of the PCP filter, I can only assume that the air left on the pump, destroyed and expelled the compacted cotton filter, that encountered the air getting out of the mag in a tiny sport, creating a singularity. I never imagine that so little cotton matter, could make that much of a mess.

Pressurized air it's scary.

Glad you're okay.

Which pistol are you talking about. Green gas mags? Sounds like an airsoft gun. Green gas and CO2 in airsoft user different valves so maybe not quite the same.

KJW MK1 pistol, its a green gas airsoft pistol, curiously, when used with the old mag (present on the carbine version now and sold indepently), it performs equal and even better than its Co2 version. And yes, there is a 4.5mm Co2 version of the pistol as well, so... theoretically, you could do a green gas 4.5mm pellet pistol just for the sake of it.

I want to finish mi ultracheap 3D PCP pistol before: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/3d-printed-air-guns-are-here.1291911/

But I have some crazy designs in mind. I wanted to test high pressure on the MK1 mag because you can get the HPA adaptor, plus a 500 psi 2 stage mini-pump:

Imagine to have it all integrated in a pistol, that would be like a repeating 1377, will 500 PSI be enough to push some respectable fps? I want to find out.

Big companies never come with this type of stuff, they just keep trowing barely functional oversized monstruosities, and when they produce something half good, they have the balls to overprize it to 1300 bucks like what has happened with the Hubben pisto, so, F you, a big F you!! I will prove that any idiot can do it better with a 3d printer for the price of a bag of peanuts.

3D printing is impractical for firearms, the materials start to degrade at low temp and are too fragile, but for air weapons there is a world of posibilities, it is time to take revenge on greedy companies.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
There's these CO2 to HPA adapters too, maybe worth looking into.

500psi is not much for pellets. CO2 will push 800psi on a 70 degree day.

Sounds like a fun project and curious how it works out.

It happened to me once. I was using my compressor to fill a 6.7l air tank to 300BAR. You need to equalize the line pressure so that it doesn't blow your compressor gaskets (or use a one way valve). Well I was using the red filter that you get with a handheld pcp pump to connect them both just so I can have some extra clean air (I had extra filteres on my line anyway).

Well it turns out that these chinese hand pump filters are really bad for this and the thing blew up at 200BAR or so (give or take a few bar). It was LOUD! The foster fitting I was using got shot out and the threads on the flimsy filter were destroyed. The white cotton was everywhere. The line whipped one of the plants and cut it cleanly it also broke where the fitting was connected to it. Plant matter was splattered all over my house and my neighbours still avoid me to this day as they think I'm making explosives. I was lucky as the compressor cuts out at a set pressure and it was set to equalize it with the air tank so I was not near the line when it happened. I was near enough that my ears hurt and I had tinnitus for a day or so.