• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP compressor options (noob warning)

I've owned break barrels, pumpers and many many powder guns but PCP is new to me and I'm sad to realize that my porter cable pancake won't cut it with filling a PCP *150 psi durr*

What sort of budget options are out there for someone getting into PCP? I'm too lazy for a hand pump (have built a 1322 recently and want to get away from all that pumping)

Would this work for me without killing my gun budget?
*removed link suspected scam site*

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. When I started getting into pcp airguns I researched all that's involved. First I decided that hand pumping is a big NO from the start. That left me with two options basically. Buy a compressor to use to fill guns, or buy a tank and then figure out how to fill that. With a tank you would need to find a place to get them filled and all thats required to do so such as being current on hydro testing and DOT certified. The other option is to fill it yourself with your own compressor. So thats exactly what I went for. I first looked into the compressors and one of the best (cheap/inexpensive) options is a young heng. You can use this compressor to fill guns directly or fill up a tank and then use the tank to fill your guns. In my opinion and what I did is I got the young heng and a tank. Its a 45 min SCBA Fireman tank with still current hydro. I use the compressor to fill it up then just use the tank to fill up my guns whenever I need. With the tank you don't need to always run the compressor and its way faster to fill guns from the tank rather than the compressor.

Welcome to the forum. When I started getting into pcp airguns I researched all that's involved. First I decided that hand pumping is a big NO from the start. That left me with two options basically. Buy a compressor to use to fill guns, or buy a tank and then figure out how to fill that. With a tank you would need to find a place to get them filled and all thats required to do so such as being current on hydro testing and DOT certified. The other option is to fill it yourself with your own compressor. So thats exactly what I went for. I first looked into the compressors and one of the best (cheap/inexpensive) options is a youn
heng. You can use this compressor to fill guns directly or fill up a tank and then use the tank to fill your guns. In my opinion and what I did is I got the young heng and a tank. Its a 45 min SCBA Fireman tank with still current hydro. I use the compressor to fill it up then just use the tank to fill up my guns whenever I need. With the tank you don't need to always run the compressor and its way faster to fill guns from the tank rather than the compressor.

Ah cool, thanks for the detailed reply. Damn it seems I'm going to be into some significant money, not a good time for me to be dropping over a grand on a setup. I thought I would be buying a gun and a suppressor and having at it. This may be a project for another time, unless I shoot for a hand pump and gym membership lol.

Reactions: 450BM
Young heng compressors are around $250 or so, bottles you can find cheap on ebay, (where I purchased all 3 of mine) and its a good idea to get an additional filter. You want dry air or as dry as possible.
That's not a deal breaker. I see a bunch of bottles on letgo too.

I just don't want to have a bunch of money tied up in another hobby so keeping costs down. I'm a serial hobbyist and we need a bigger house so I'm riding that 'line' with the wife currently.

Thinking a budget of $500 for the gun, $150 adapter and suppressor, $250 will buy a compressor as above maybe $60 on a tank. Optic and rail $60-$100

Broke the $1k

Why are my interests so expensive ha

I use the GX-CS3 and love it. Zero issues. I started with a Yong and had nothing but problems with it. Really just a pain in the ass to use. I smashed it in several pieces!! Felt great. The main thing I Iike about the GX is being able to take my compressor and shoot anywhere I can drive my Subaru.

View attachment 315049
That's some serious frustration!
Leaks or what was the problem?

Reactions: 450BM
I've owned break barrels, pumpers and many many powder guns but PCP is new to me and I'm sad to realize that my porter cable pancake won't cut it with filling a PCP *150 psi durr*

What sort of budget options are out there for someone getting into PCP? I'm too lazy for a hand pump (have built a 1322 recently and want to get away from all that pumping)

Looks like that site you linked is a scam.

Reactions: mr_nom_noms_
FWIW, I'm a newbie to PCP as well. I just posted my break barrel to Craigslist this morning. My fiancee has a hard time with that gun anyway. I was going to splurge and spend about $1k on a higher end gun via the classifieds here, but the 10 day waiting period here to PM and my impatience got the better of me. I ordered a Benjamin Marauder with the Lothar Walthar barrel on Friday and it arrived in less than 24 hours, props to Airgun Depot.

Like you, I said no to hand pumping from the beginning. I bought a GX-CS2 on Amazon. I'm sure that there are more differences from the CS3, but the most glaring one is that it does not have an auto-shutoff. It was about $300 after the clipped coupon. I would say that it took 7-8 minutes to fill the Marauder which was obviously shipped empty. The pump never got uncomfortably hot, I could keep my hand anywhere on the pump when it was finished pumping.

I think I'm also going to sell a powder gun, I haven't shot my 22 rifle since I bought the 22 break barrel. While I have a decent amount of land and everyone shoots, it's nice to do pest control pretty much silently which is what air brings to the table.

Last edited:
I picked up this 1322 two weeks ago now there's a bunch of money in it. (Folding stock on the way) but the pumping is annoying and accuracy at higher powers took a dump (it has piston, spring and port work)
20221214_181918.jpg

Reactions: Mr303
There's a large percentage of us here who have Yong Heng compressors & SCBA carbon fiber tanks. For most of us the YH does what it's supposed to. Once set up the correct way they're NOT the pain in the butt that some claim them to be. Mine has delivered faithful service for near upon 3 years. Research Biohazardman's YH posts & make up your mind to to not ask things of it that they're not intended to do (baby it & you'll be fine). IMHO a majority of problems stem from user error more than equipment failures. They're better now than when 1st released & if SOP is followed problems are minimized. A few basic rules followed faithfully should reward you with "air independence ". Again, read Biohazardman's posts.

*removed link suspected scam site*
I got an Avenger first, then a Maverick. I, too, had ZERO interest in hand pumping. Got an orange cheap compressor that was about $00 first. Repaired it a few times by replacing rings. Started to get concerned about the amount of moisture I was putting in the expensive airgun, sooooooo.
Earlier this year saw a video on Target Forge Youtube channel about the GX CS2. It appears to be way better designed (with roller bearing and much less generated heat on the pump cylinder--at $350)and, while slower, it worked pretty efficiently. I paired a moisture scavenging filter that was suggested(by Target Forge) with the GX CS2 and it seems to be working very well.
While the moisture filter was expensive and the support, not so great( no instructions, how-to videos, certifications of pressure limits, etc.), the system works well. You can probably tell I'm not a "fan" of the moisture scavenger's vendor, but the filter is working well. The CS2 is NOT a replacement (Yong Heng "killer") of the Yong Heng, it's just a different approach that, to me, is easier to use than a bottle with another pump.