• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning PCP CF Bottle Retest? - Bottle out of date

Hi All,

My Google-Fu is not helping so far to answer the question of where do I get my FX Korean made CF bottle retested @ 5 years? Unfortunately it is 6 years now from DOB of the air bottle. I do realize some folks ignore the passing of the test date on the bottle. My safety advisor, the one I live with, informed me that if I blow myself up not to bother coming home (same goes for if I get struck by lightning).

So far the only option I've found is to buy a new bottle. Does FX provide testing service in the CONUS? Seems like the small bottles would be easy to ship empty.

All information welcome. Prefer someplace that knows about testing these little .4L and .5L pressure tanks. There are some cylinder recertification folks near by but I've thought they only do DOT tanks.

I know about the 2" ODx24" long rule. It doesn't help me much in this case.

TIA,

Nugria

Correction: you are right, the first inspection should be before 5 year of MF date...

It says nothing of test pressure, only inspection, so I guess a visual inspection inside is enough

I think the "inspection" is a pressure test, at least that is the case with scuba tanks. My local dive shop had to have an old tank of mine tested before they would refill. 

It can be so in other countries that every bottle of any small size need to be pressure tested to get approved, for what I know some countries have rules that "bottles under 1 Liter" dont need to be pressure tested, just a good advice to visually inspect..

If you are careful of course you can do any test often as you will, Im talking about Laws and rules, it differs

Here where I live I have never heard of someone pressure tested a small pcp bottle, I wouldn't dare to pressure test my FX CF bottle to 400 bar then use it, I think it would be safer to open it up and check inside, then use it as suggested(max 250 bar) if everything looks perfect... Thats just me

Small bottles use on guns do not need to be tested. Only larger suba bottle need to be tested every 5 years and has a 15 year life. Small bottle should last for the life of the gun. Same as airtube on guns like marauder etc.

I wonder then, why the bottles clearly require 5 year inspections, and give the date the first inspection is due?

Because DOT requires it if they're transported.

The same exact SCBA cylinders are good for 30 years in Europe with 5 year intervals. 

Correction: you are right, the first inspection should be before 5 year of MF date...

It says nothing of test pressure, only inspection, so I guess a visual inspection inside is enough

I think the "inspection" is a pressure test, at least that is the case with scuba tanks. My local dive shop had to have an old tank of mine tested before they would refill.

Inspection is a pressure test along with visual inspection inside and out. 

inspection is one thing, but pressurize the bottles on PCP guns like twice the working pressure isnt anything I would like to do any way, I would feel more safe just inspect in visually, and keep to the working pressure after that, especially CF ones..

The best way is to visually inspect everything that is possible like each 3rd year, for your own safety, dont matter if it is a small tube or bottle or other parts that keep pressure, make it a routine and you will stay safe.

Last time i did take apart my Maruader tube and exchanged all orings I did visually inspect the tube carefully, this is the only way... If there is to much rust or corrosion , exchange that tube/bottle, otherwise it should be fine to use a couple years more.

Most important is to fill with DRY air..

inspection is one thing, but pressurize the bottles on PCP guns like twice the working pressure isnt anything I would like to do any way, I would feel more safe just inspect in visually, and keep to the working pressure after that, especially CF ones..

The best way is to visually inspect everything that is possible like each 3rd year, for your own safety, dont matter if it is a small tube or bottle or other parts that keep pressure, make it a routine and you will stay safe.

Last time i did take apart my Maruader tube and exchanged all orings I did visually inspect the tube carefully, this is the only way... If there is to much rust or corrosion , exchange that tube/bottle, otherwise it should be fine to use a couple years more.

Most important is to fill with DRY air..

It's called a hydro test because they fill the bottle almost full of water then pressurize it to double the working pressure. If it blows there's not very much volume that is released. Water doe not compress. They test how much the dimentions of the bottle expand and if it expands to much it fails the test.

my point was: I would not expose my CF bottle to that presure then use it, I think its more safe to visually inspect it, then stay with max working pressure,,,,,,,

A visual inspection is not going to detect the kind of potential material weak spots that could fail. Kind of like an orthopedic surgeon skipping the MRI and diagnosing from the office exam. 

my point was: I would not expose my CF bottle to that presure then use it, I think its more safe to visually inspect it, then stay with max working pressure,,,,,,,

A visual inspection is not going to detect the kind of potential material weak spots that could fail. Kind of like an orthopedic surgeon skipping the MRI and diagnosing from the office exam.

on the other side, pressurize a CF bottle to twice the max working-pressure could also make a crack, well I dont know, as I said, I have never heard of anyone here where I live that did hydrotest small PCP bottles, dont know if there is anyone doing it to be sure... 

Best thing to do is to ask for example FX, what they mean with inspection after 5 years, do they really mean hydro test?

Paintball shop is the answer for (convenient) testing. Naturally your dropping it off and it goes to a certified test center for hydro. You might get lucky and be closer to one than the paintball shop. Also many mail it off places. Ninja's page(not sure if they do all bottles?) https://www.ninjapaintball.com/hydro

And if it works a searchable list of testers: 

https://portal.phmsa.dot.gov/analytics/saw.dll?Portalpages&PortalPath=%2Fshared%2FPublic%20Website%20Pages%2F_portal%2FRIN%20and%20VIN%20Locator

Costs less than a pair of shoes for the safety inspector (which perhaps you should purchase at the same time?).

John