• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP BIG BORE RIFLES

What fpe can you get out of the pbba 308 ,,can it be filled to a higher psi than 3000?? I’m really debating on one right now but I want to get 300 fpe out of a 308 that’s not a Texan cause I already have it,, I’m thinking on the extreme big bore 308 but I really don’t want to spend 2000 an besides I think the pbba look a lot nicer,,

Kevin

sorry I haven't gotten back before now I just checked my notes the stock PBBA 308 shooting a 134gr cast BTFP 3200psi 889fps for 235fpe, 3400psi 900fps 241fpe, 3500psi 896fps 238fpe I don't have anything heavier at this time to try out but as Hobbyman pointed out some Helium would jump those numbers up, if your interested I'm probably going to sale the PBBA as I got my DAQ 308 back last week I had traded an always regretted doing so as I had gotten it from a friend.

Looking to do some hunting for predators and up to white tail deer probably more predator hunting than anything because in my state does not allow white tail hunting at this time. thinking .30 cal and up to .45 cal. Would like input on the top five guns and cal. for this use. thanks

Mod edit: moved to Big Bore Airguns forum

In my opinion, I would rate the American Air Arms Slayer at the top, awesome rifle. I have a .357 Slayer and it can easily be tuned to 300+ fpe. I have mine tuned for 950 fps with a NSA 142 gr for 285 fpe. I own a Bulldog .357 and it is currently being converted to a Pitbull to get the power boost I prefer for whitetails. I also have a .45 Texan and once I found a slug it likes, it consistently will group 5 shots around an inch at 50 yards and occasionally a 3 shot group will be 1 inch at 100 yards. The NSA 240 grain slugs are what my Texan likes and they produce 400 fpe. These three are the only big bores I have experience with so I cannot rank the many others on the market. I would rank these with Slayer #1, and Texan# 2 over a stock bulldog. Once I have the Pitbull conversion back, that may bump the Texan down to #3. I prefer the flatter shooting .357 over .45 and I like the compactness of a bullpup, YMMV.

Reactions: Hornclayton
I always chuckle when someone says 'predator hunting's because there are small predators up to large predators and the air rifle suitable for the bigger ones may be a bit overkill on the smaller.

I have a .357 Slayer, .357 Texan, .357 FLEX+ and a .357 Pitbull... Any capable and legal in Texas of taking a deer (or hog, coyote) but I'm not going to use one to shoot a (legal harvest) small feral animal or a raccoon, possum, fox, skunk, etc. light weight animal. For the smaller 'predator' at long range if 50 to 150 yards, I'm going to use my .257 Texan and it's preferred 85gr NSA BTHP. The various 40 to 65 FPE .25 pellet rifles I can grab out of the rack are used for short range or paid day/night neighborhood pest control, many times being those small predators listed above.

So what are y’all s thoughts on an extreme big bore for elk hunting in Idaho this year? I’m looking for something that can stretch out to 150yds and pack a punch when it gets there. I have a Texan LSS cf that I used to take an 8pt last weekend in Texas, but it’s a little too long for my taste. It’s dropped it at 140 yds though 

So what are y’all s thoughts on an extreme big bore for elk hunting in Idaho this year? I’m looking for something that can stretch out to 150yds and pack a punch when it gets there. I have a Texan LSS cf that I used to take an 8pt last weekend in Texas, but it’s a little too long for my taste. It’s dropped it at 140 yds though

I'd give AAA a call and ask if they will make a .452 Slayer for you for the hunt. Engineered for power, accuracy, and field toughness.

Nolachef,

I have been lucky enough to hunt and harvest elk on multiple trips out west. I am highly recommending against attempting to killing an elk at the distances you are inquiring about with an air rifle, no matter what caliber you choose. The ballistics just don't lend themselves to a quick end to the hunt on an Elk. I don't know if you have had the opportunity to elk hunt before, but these are majestic, big tough critters that can take a wallop from the most powerful centerfires and keep on going for miles if shot placement is not in the vitals.

Cowley