Pcp and kestrels

I asked recently at Snipers' Hide about the newest version of the Kestrel with the ballistics app, and I received a disappointing answer — but super quick answer, super open (no tricking me into buying one). Just excellent(!) customer service by a company — and I wasn't even writing to the company(!), it was just a post on an independent forum!

🔶 So, the answer for me was a clear for me — the wind meter is great — and the ballistics app that come with some models is NOT for airgunning.

➔ Sorry if I don't remember the details, but I think the minimum range or the minimum muzzle velocity was not suitable for airgunning. It was a clear NO for me. And the Kestrel rep I think knew that when he wrote his answer on the forum....

🔶 I use Strelok Pro, that via bluetooth can connect to the Kestrel and several other brands of wind meters and feed the info directly into Strelok Pro. 😊

Strelok Pro is so wonderfully customizable, something that is hard for the Kestrel, that has the ballistics as an add-on, not as its core.... .

Just my 2c... 😊

Matthias

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Wind at shooter location and wind at target seldom are the same. Why most competitive BR shooters use wind flags.

☝️

This. I do have a Kestrel but not the one with the Applied Ballistics. It's good to have one just to know what the actual wind speed looks like in your shooting environment based on nearby vegetation or other objects around.

The real value of a kestrel is learning to read the wind - carry it around, feel the wind, see what it's doing to trees, grass, etc around you, then measure it. Eventually start guessing the wind speed, then measuring it. 

The software that you can get built-in to the Kestrel is from Applied Ballistics - it probably does not use the best drag models for pellets and may even have problems with the low-BC as it's optimized for long-range centerfire.

GsT

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Thanks for the response everyone. I do already have one for my long range center fires so guess there's no loss there. After putting some numbers in mine it seems to be reasonable. Guess I'll have to test it when I get a pcp lol.

I'm curious to what the reason it would be. Do you know if it was applied ballistics, they also come with hornady horius and one other software program I believe. I'm also a member at snipershide I'll have to search for that post.

Any one care to share thier slug/pellet weight , bc , mv, and dope?

Thanks for the response everyone. I do already have one for my long range center fires so guess there's no loss there. After putting some numbers in mine it seems to be reasonable. Guess I'll have to test it when I get a pcp lol.

I'm curious to what the reason it would be. Do you know if it was applied ballistics, they also come with hornady horius and one other software program I believe. I'm also a member at snipershide I'll have to search for that post.

Any one care to share thier slug/pellet weight , bc , mv, and dope?

I do and I use SHOOTER app in my phone like I do with my rimfires and centerfires. The farther away the projectile gets from the barrel the more using DA will help with providing a better solution.

I use DA/Density altitude which a Kestrel provides. Yes the Kestrel does work for airguns. I live at 6640 ft elevation and when I go to Phoenix/1500 ft elevation to shoot, my drop is .1 mil more at 55Y and that's after a .1 mil higher rezero at 30Y. So if I didn't rezero I'd hit .2 mil lower at 55Y. It makes the difference between a hit or a miss sometimes in FT if I were to get the wind slightly off since we shoot at circle shaped KZ's.

I use this...no batteries no software.

IMG_0578 1.1615827361.JPG

I dug through my files, here is what the super helpful Kestrel representative on Sniper's Hide wrote in answer to my questions. 

I'm profoundly impressed by the depth, detail, and honesty of the Kestrel rep's answers, and the speed was lightning fast. Wow, so that's where the money goes that these tiny machines cost -- customer service...! 😊 👍

Post from Oct 28, 2019

Posted here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/kestrel-with-applied-ballistics-for-airguns.6967911

So far I've been using Strelok Pro to do my ballistic calculations when shooting my AIRGUNS.
Now, I'm looking to buy a used Kestrel — and I'm wondering if I should get one with the Applied Ballistics. However, before plunking down the extra cash I need to know:

Will the Applied Ballistics in the Kestrel give me what Strelok Pro has been giving me — for my AIRGUN shooting?
Specifically I'm looking for the following functions:

(1) Does AB calculate trajectories down to 10 yards?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: No, down to 25 yds

(2) Does AB calculate trajectories for projectiles with velocities down to 300fps, weighing 7 grain?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: You can enter manual bullet data with these values.

(3) Does AB allow me to enter custom BCs — coded to different velocities?
Example: 500fps = BC 0.020
700fps = BC 0.025
900fps = BC 0.034
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: No there is only one BC per profile. You would need to build a profile for each MV.

(4) Does AB allow me to enter a custom drag model?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: If you had an Elite model, you could do drop scale factor to improve the sub sonic model but it would not be a custom curve.

(5) Does AB give me at least 10 user-defined "rifles" — where I can define the scope—rifle — and combine that with c. 20 user-defined "cartridges" each with its own muzzle velocities and BCs?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: You can build as many profiles as needed, but only transfer 3 or 30 to the Kestrel, depending on if it is a 5700 or an Elite model.

Matthias

I dug through my files, here is what the super helpful Kestrel representative on Sniper's Hide wrote in answer to my questions. 

I'm profoundly impressed by the depth, detail, and honesty of the Kestrel rep's answers, and the speed was lightning fast. Wow, so that's where the money goes that these tiny machines cost -- customer service...!
1f60a.svg
1f44d.svg

Post from Oct 28, 2019

Posted here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/kestrel-with-applied-ballistics-for-airguns.6967911

So far I've been using Strelok Pro to do my ballistic calculations when shooting my AIRGUNS.
Now, I'm looking to buy a used Kestrel — and I'm wondering if I should get one with the Applied Ballistics. However, before plunking down the extra cash I need to know:

Will the Applied Ballistics in the Kestrel give me what Strelok Pro has been giving me — for my AIRGUN shooting?
Specifically I'm looking for the following functions:

(1) Does AB calculate trajectories down to 10 yards?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: No, down to 25 yds

(2) Does AB calculate trajectories for projectiles with velocities down to 300fps, weighing 7 grain?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: You can enter manual bullet data with these values.

(3) Does AB allow me to enter custom BCs — coded to different velocities?
Example: 500fps = BC 0.020
700fps = BC 0.025
900fps = BC 0.034
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: No there is only one BC per profile. You would need to build a profile for each MV.

(4) Does AB allow me to enter a custom drag model?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: If you had an Elite model, you could do drop scale factor to improve the sub sonic model but it would not be a custom curve.

(5) Does AB give me at least 10 user-defined "rifles" — where I can define the scope—rifle — and combine that with c. 20 user-defined "cartridges" each with its own muzzle velocities and BCs?
➔ ➔ Kestrel’s Answer: You can build as many profiles as needed, but only transfer 3 or 30 to the Kestrel, depending on if it is a 5700 or an Elite model.

Matthias

Yes an is great customer service. 

I have the kestrels 5700 elite with applied ballistics and I agree with everything said.

But they are instead confirming the use just under seperate profiles. And also saying they dont preload custom curves for a specific brand of pellet/slug and weight like they would say a .308 hornady 200gn eld bullet.

But I believe that confirms that I can use it to find my drop scale factor and retained energy at a distance!

Obviously the applied ballistic part won’t ever be used but the standard G1 calculation should get you would get to within a click or two at even 100 yards with pellets and dead nuts on with slugs. It’s a great tool and extremely precise, you already know how to use it so its amazing!!! Paired with a sig killo3000 or 2400 it’s a potent package especially with slugs. 

I've been using a SIG Sauer rangefinder with a version of Applied Ballistics for 5 years now and it has been extremely accurate for me. Of course you have to know your gun and projectile and enter the correct data to get good calculations. I'm using G1 for my pellet of choice in the AB app and I did have to massage the BC of the pellet a tiny bit to make the graph correspond to what Strelok Pro was giving me. Once that's done though, the holdovers (to the maximum 100 meters I did) are all within just a few millimetres between Strelok Pro and Applied Ballistics.