PCP air rifles and OIL

At the 10 meter range I listened to a conversation between two air gunners. One had a new FWB 10 meter rifle which was shooting off zero after an air charge. He couldn't understand why? Another air gunner stated that he needed to add a tiny drop of Pellet oil to he hole of the air bottle nipple port attached to the airgun itself. I shoot a LG 400 walther and have had the rifle shoot accurately for the past 6 years without any oil. My manual doesn't say anything about oiling the 'INNARDS" of the rifle. Am I missing something?

To the OP...

honestly, that really doesn't make much sense to me. Lubing orings is a good thing but if there is a leak you might buy a little time but you would really need a new oring.Otherwise the reg may not like the pressure he was filling to.

To other posters, a PCP will 'diesel' ie ignite petrol based oils under the right pressures and pellgun oil is basically transmission fluid and packaging says its it for 'seals, moving parts and pump actions' with a big caution that says 'not for use with break barrels or PCP' I can post a pic of crosmans packaging if you want But the bottom line is no petrol based oils in any pressurized chamber.

I heard for years that air guns should not use petroleum oils in the pressure areas but then I started hearing that PCPs did not have to worry about that after the valve or in the barrel because they were releasing air, not compressing it like the piston/spring guns and so no heat was generated to cause dieseling. That it would be too cold from gas expansion to ignite. Seemed to make sense and I did not worry about it since all I shoot is PCPs anymore.

So while testing everything I could to see how it shot in my .45 Texan I tried some cast black powder pistol bullets that had been pre-lubed in their grooves with a plant based oil 'paste' so some of it was on the bases too. Kind of sloppy all over them actually {On a previous post a year ago I told what it was and was asked to remove the blend information as it was feared some idiot would try to duplicate the effect}

Imagine my surprise when the first shot kicked my shoulder hard and the guy beside me on the range asked "I thought that was an air rifle, it just had a tiny flash of flame shoot out of the muzzle?"

It also showed about 400 FPS higher on the chronograph than any air rifle could ever be reasonably expected to do. And damaged the o-rings on the valve tophat plus cracked the hand-grip (and actually hurt my right thumb n wrist as I did not have a good hold going for that kind of recoil).

Sure proved to me that under the right circumstances even PCPs could diesel! Might have been a one in a million but nothing like personal experience learning the hard way to teach a lesson.

However, I DO use 10wt shock oil to lube my big bore bullets to prevent fouling but the flash point of those oils is high enough that the odds of another diesel event is basically impossible. I just learned to look at the flash point / combustibility of any oil I use first.

I'm guessing that the reason oil may combust in PCP guns is that the concentration of O2 molecules is much higher than normal. The general rule for chemical reactions is if you increase the concentration of reactants on one side of the equation you have a higher probability of the reaction taking place at an increase speed. Many people consider 100% O2 gas at low pressures like leaking out of a O2 gas cylinder dangerous. That's nothing compared the concentration of O2 from 200 bar of air! If the concentration of O2 is high enough many things will spontaneously combust without any addition of add heat.

Pellgun oil is not silicone oil. From the label of "Crosman Pellgunoil"- Caution -Petroleum based oil. Not for use with breakbarrel or pcp airguns..

Oops my bad I brain farted and was thinking of this stuff.

1556886995_15592828045ccc35d36a8945.87534219_20190503_053911.jpg

So,,,,it seems that putting “pellgun oil” into the airgun for o ring lubrication or regulator lubrication is a NO NO. Other than lubing pellets there should be NO lubricants placed into the air intake of a PCP air rifle. None of the Airguns manufacturers recommend it and they should know what they are doing. Lubing levers and trigger parts is reasonable with reason. Makes sense to me.

Has tried “Gunny Slides” (made by Scott Gun) as a PCP lubricant instead of 100% Silicone Oil? I assume that if an oil has a flashpoint high enough to be used with a powder burner, then there shouldn’t be a problem using it on/in a PCP… am I correct in this assumption?
Necro thread.

I would not use that stuff in a PCP. The issue is not just ignition/detonation but also compatibility with the internal components within the pressure chamber and valve and regulator. This is not difficult, 100% silicone oil and grease only, or per your particular manufacturer recommendation. If your owner manual or manufacturer recommended Gunny Slides I guess it would be okay, otherwise not and if you did then you need to get it all out of the gun.

Last edited: