PCP air rifle setup

Hello everyone. First timer here and pretty new to airguns in general but have decided to get into one for shooting in my back yard and for small to medium game. My budget for getting started is around 1000. I have been leaning towards an air venturi avenger and decking it out but I've heard arguments for a Benjamin marauder as well. Kind of a big purchase for me so trying to get informed as much as I can. I appreciate any advice.

Have you considered a nice springer: e.g. Weihrauch, Diana, or TX200 (Air Arms)? $1000 is a tidy sum, however getting started in air gunning with a quality PCP and the necessary accessories can be quite expensive. Consider the cost of the following:

* Rifle

* Scope

* Filling tank (carbon fiber, preferred)

* Filling source- Compressor or hand pump😩.

* Ammo

These items can add up to cost you thousands.

I don't mean to dampen your interest in this hobby, as it can be very rewarding. I'm simply trying help you avoid the pitfalls I experienced in my introduction to airgunning, i.e, cutting costs and ending up with nearly worthless equipment, then moving on to better-quality gear than retains its value.

I must say, you've gotten off to a great start by utilizing this forum and its many knowledgeable and experienced members. I wish I had known of its existence years ago, when I got my start in serious airgunning.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Al

@Gerry52

That would be for everything. This is my first air rifle besides an old red rider I got as a gag a long time ago.

@bamavet55

I have considered them yes. I've just heard the pcps tend to be easier to shoot accurately with. Maybe you can convince me otherwise? (My wife would appreciate a smaller budget). One perk I do appreciate from springers is having iron sights. Those are just fun for me.

@Gerry52

That would be for everything. This is my first air rifle besides an old red rider I got as a gag a long time ago.

@bamavet55

I have considered them yes. I've just heard the pcps tend to be easier to shoot accurately with. Maybe you can convince me otherwise? (My wife would appreciate a smaller budget). One perk I do appreciate from springers is having iron sights. Those are just fun for me.

Do you have a scope for your Marauder or Avenger?

Do you have a fill source for this rifle?

How close are your neighbors? I imagine you will want to be as discreet as possible to avoid becoming a nuisance. In which case, a quality moderator/LDC is a necessity on most PCPs that I've used.

What pellets are you planning on using?

Check the cost of the required accoutrements for the PCP and decide which way you wish to start out.

@Gerry52

@bamavet55

Do you have a scope for your Marauder or Avenger?

Do you have a fill source for this rifle?

How close are your neighbors? I imagine you will want to be as discreet as possible to avoid becoming a nuisance. In which case, a quality moderator/LDC is a necessity on most PCPs that I've used.

What pellets are you planning on using?

Check the cost the required accoutrements for the PCP and decide which way you wish to start out.

I don't have anything currently. Brand new to all of this.

Noise isn't really much of a concern where I'm at so lucky there.

either one should suit you fine .. caliber will affect things, any of them are gonna work on things up to medium rabbits/ possum size, but heres how id persinally choose - mostly hunting 25 ammo is pricey, mostly plinking targeting 17, mostly pesting around the home 22 but id do 17 still if theres going to be alot of plinking to, 17 generally will do anything 22 will in a decent gun and shoots flatter and ammo is the easiest to find ... so, that suggestion covered id get 50$ amazon handpump and id take a good long gander at a westhunter ffp 4-16x on ebay for 120 .. got 4 of them now and no regrets, theyre jam-up for the money ..

I'll offer 2 suggestions, either put the $1,000 away and keep adding to it until it's $2,000, or, start looking for good used equipment. IMO, you are unlikely to put together a PCP package for that amount, consisting or equipment that will be satisfying long term. I believe it will be a challenge even with good used stuff. It's kind of like home renovation, figure an all inclusive budget, being sure everything is covered, then double it! It is what it is, good luck, and welcome to the disease.

My picks for you are a Benjamin Marauder, Four Brothers hand pump, and a Hawke Vantage scope.
This package comes in way under budget and these items are tried and true

1C4D3A6D-54C8-41CD-8B60-BEC7ED527ED6.1647375000.png

I started a couple months ago with an Avenger, cheap Amazon hand pump and cheap scope. There's nothing wrong with the Avenger, less then 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards. I don't have a problem pumping mine up from 2000 psi to 4350 psi. Going from 0 to 4350 psi is a grind the first time I degassed and set the reg to min psi so I could find my preferred reg psi. 

I won't purchase an unregulated pcp, I don't want to deal with the shot pressure bell curve. With my .177 Avenger I get 80 1900 psi shots which will all drill into a 1/4" hole.

Welcome to a wonderful forum and a great sport! It is a rather pricey thing to get into.

I know you said your were new to air rifles. I'm wondering if you might want to stick your toe in the water by starting with a springer as @bamavet55 mentioned. The Weihrauch HW30s in .177 is light weight, quiet, one of the easiest springers to shoot, a heck of a lot of fun--and no scope necessary. (Add one later if you wish.) The action is smooth as butter and the trigger is amazing. It's a classic one-shot-at-a-time break-barrel rifle that you can pass onto your kids. While I've shot many squirrels with mine, the 30s is definitely not my idea of a hunting rifle.

Krale (Netherlands) sells these for under $250 plus shipping, and shipping charges are not bad. Their service is great. Just a thought. 

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/weihrauch-hw30s-test-review-177-caliber/

https://www.krale.shop/us/weihrauch-hw30-s/ 

That cheaper pump does make it easier to get into budget. How are those in comparison to like the more expensive hill hand pumps?

I personally believe it depends if you'll be in this hobby for the long haul. If you do see yourself doing this for a while, I would just pick up the cheaper hand pump to start off with and save up for a compressor or tank. When I first got into PCPs', I purchased a Hill hand pump. That held me off until I got more PCPs'. Pumping got old and tiring so I decided to pick up an SCBA tank. I have a few dive shops near me so it's convenient. My Hill hand pump just sits in the corner now.

dcimonline,

Your question is a great one and deserves a serious answer as it is your intention to get started in pcp. First off, no matter how much fun they are to shoot hand pumping is not fun and detracts from the pleasure. With a compressor you won’t find yourself conserving shots. Plan on buying a compressor, and modern self contained ones that work can be found on Amazon and elsewhere for around $350. Scopes from $50 to $500 should be considered but don’t cheat yourself by saving a few dollars so plan on at least $150 to $250 for one you will be pleased with and not find the need to upgrade later. The Air Venturi Avenger with plastic stock is light enough to be used afield but also makes a good bench gun and has all the desirable features of a modern pcp rifle though there are other fine choices as well. All said and done after finding other accessories you didn’t know you needed you are still well under the $1K note and have some change leftover.

Tom