Paypal quietly added the $2500.00 fine back in its policy - 2 weeks after the backlash

If you collect money on goods and services or if you collect friends and family from numerous sources they assume you are selling.
If you collect money for "goods and services" PP always assumes that you are selling anyway, and it's your income that gets reported to IRS on 1099-K. If you collect money via "friend and family" it is not income and not reported to IRS. Also, business PP accounts can't accept FF payments at all. It really doesn't matter how many transactions you have and from/to whom because it's designed to replace cash. I can have 10+ PPFF transactions a day with my friends back and forth no problem. People are sending money to their family in $10K via PPFF instead of mailing checks. From what I read, you can get attention of PP only if you really abuse PPFF and start moving $100K+ and having 1000+ transactions. Occasionally selling something on AGN and using PPFF will not get their attention for sure.

How does Paypal know what you are buying or selling? They just transfer money.
When you are paying via PP, you can put in a description about what you are paying for, it's just below the $$ amount. It's really optional and can be omitted. But I prefer to write what I'm paying for because I will forget it in a month or so. The description goes into the "Notes" section of the transaction, if you open it up later you will see a line saying: "Note to <recipient name>: <what you wrote before>". For goods and services, it would better match to the item that was listed for sale if you file a claim that the received item is not as described because in case of a dispute you'll need to provide proof of what you expected to receive and what you actually got, but it's still optional, and you can leave it empty if you want. For friends and family, it doesn't really matter at all, it's only for you and the recipient of the payment to remember later what this payment was about. It's like the note you write in the bottom left corner of a personal check. The only time when PayPal really looks in the transaction purpose is when you have a dispute and have to provide documentation to support your claim.

Last edited:
Not my intention to bash anyone that prefers paypal or similar services. And I understand the buyer assistance those services offer in the case of a unhappy buyer. If that protection is a deal breaker for you then you have no recourse than to buy face to face for a used item or buy new from a dealer. I do not know if resolution of unhappy purchases is successful as I have never heard of any instances when using PP or similar.
Last week I posted an item in classifieds and stated that I do not use PP or similar. An interested party from CA PM’d me and we agreed to talk via phone. We chatted, sent additional photos and arranged the purchase. AGN, somewhere, discourages phone calls because there is no retrievable record of conversation. I advised buyer that I would post pertinent info that was discussed in our original PM so that there was record of our conversation. Buyer sent USPS Money Order via US Mail. Received letter today. Went to USPS website that allows verification of Money Orders and everything checks out fine. Buyer does not have to wait for MO to clear my bank and I drop off his package this morning. Simple transaction and only added about four or five days on the buyer receiving the item.
I have been on both sides of similar transactions and both parties, being complete strangers, have to rely on trust to some degree and to the sellers feedback from other transaction history provided by buyers from previous sales on AGN or other forums.

Agreed. I'm totally fine with money order or cashier's check, and I paid and accepted them many times if buyer/seller prefers this method of payment. I personally prefer PP just because it saves me an hour driving to the bank and/or post office to get a check and to mail it out. Plus, you don't need to pay fees for the check and postage. I am happy to work out any form and terms of payment which is convenient for both parties, as long as the other party is reasonable and does not ask for some nonsense payment conditions :).

BTW, check out the other discussion on AGN about fraudulent money orders here https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/usps-money-orders-imo-do-not-accept-unless.1296701/, it's not 100% safe either. PP electronic transaction still feels safer for me, but it's my own opinion, as I said, I'm very flexible about payment terms ;).

Agreed. I'm totally fine with money order or cashier's check, and I paid and accepted them many times if buyer/seller prefers this method of payment. I personally prefer PP just because it saves me an hour driving to the bank and/or post office to get a check and to mail it out. Plus, you don't need to pay fees for the check and postage. I am happy to work out any form and terms of payment which is convenient for both parties, as long as the other party is reasonable and does not ask for some nonsense payment conditions :).

BTW, check out the other discussion on AGN about fraudulent money orders here https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/usps-money-orders-imo-do-not-accept-unless.1296701/, it's not 100% safe either. PP electronic transaction still feels safer for me, but it's my own opinion, as I said, I'm very flexible about payment terms ;).
And you help support the anti-gun community. 👍👍

Reactions: baranjhn
And you help support the anti-gun community. 👍👍
No, I don't. Period. But 90% of the time people prefer to use electronic methods of payment instead of mailing checks just because it's much more convenient. If you read my whole post, then you see that I say that I try to accommodate buyer/seller the best I can and that I'm totally fine paying and receiving payments in a form of MO or CC if buyer or seller wants it and agrees to it. In most cases people want to use PP, what can I do.

Said that, every single major online payment platform has "no firearms" policy, check out GunBroker list of prohibited methods here https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en...yPal-Venmo-Zelle-Apple-Pay-Policy-on-Firearms. I found only one payment platform that is specifically geared toward firearm sales called GunTab and they tout themselves "The PayPal for guns" https://www.guntab.com/. Never tried it though, if anyone has any experience with it I'd be happy to hear.

I have just discovered that the British taxpayer is funding £265,000 to cover Boris Johnson’s legal fees over lying through his rusty sheriff’s badge over holding drinks parties at Downing Street whilst applying fines to the public for meeting up for a funeral. Works for me. I hate eBay so will never use again, and will see how much tax I can weasel out of at the same time (for far better reasons)

I have just discovered that the British taxpayer is funding £265,000 to cover Boris Johnson’s legal fees over lying through his rusty sheriff’s badge over holding drinks parties at Downing Street whilst applying fines to the public for meeting up for a funeral. Works for me. I hate eBay so will never use again, and will see how much tax I can weasel out of at the same time (for far better reasons)
Ditto what he said. I was not aware PP owned ebay. I have only bought from ebay two or three times. No more. Amazon has been on that list for years. If Amazon is the only place to buy an item, I don’t need it. I’ll pay extra from a non-Amazon company first.

Everyone knows PayPal's anti-2A stance by now. And anyone who believes they side with your argument "it's an airgun" is just being ignorant.
Yes, PayPal is anti-gun. Just like every other online payment platform has prohibited transactions involving firearms and ammo. Every single one. It's not just PayPal, check out the link I have posted above to GB with the list of prohibited forms of payment https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en...yPal-Venmo-Zelle-Apple-Pay-Policy-on-Firearms. And yet every of them allows you to pay for airgun and pellet purchases you can make in any online store like eBay and Amazon. Heck, even Pyramyd AIR, who sells all sorts of airguns, pellets, and accessories, accepts PayPal. Am I going to get banned by PayPal if I pay for Pyramyd AIR order? I understand why the gun community does not like PayPal and I don't like their anti-gun position either but let's not mix up feelings with terms of service. That's what I'm trying to explain.
But feel free to test how accommodating and understanding they are. Just don't whine about it when they burn you.
And I would definitely test how accommodating and understanding PayPal is if I ever had any issues with them due to airgun related payments, or if I heard of anyone getting into trouble for this reason. When I called them this weekend to inquire about their gun-related payments policy, they were quite reasonable and replied to all my questions. I have already posted before in this thread that they unequivocally confirmed to me that payments for airguns are allowed and do not violate any of their policies.

1695175418758.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: uladz