PayPal NIGHTMARE!

Recently someone tried to send me some money and they were told my account was not accepting payment at this time. I really didn't think much of it and figured it was due to system maintenance or similar. 

Fast forward to today... I tried to make an online purchase with Vortek who only accepts PayPal and found my account was "Limited" which is PP speak for blocked.

I called and was told my account was permanently banned. I asked why and was told the reasons cannot be disclosed. I asked if I could appeal and was told no. These bans are permanent and cannot be discussed further. I went through all of the reasons in the user agreement and could find nothing. To make things even worse, any bank account you have linked cannot be linked to a new account. I am FURIOUS. You can't send a person to jail without telling them why. They are WAY to big and powerful when they can lock you out of your own banking with NO explanation of any kind. 

I bring this here in case they are now flagging our hobby as "Weapons" which is the only explanation I can come up with.

This is crazy!

i would 'guess' ANYTHING linked to a gun 'related' site is fair game for liberal targeting .. ive had no problem so far using ebay to buy scopes etc .. but yeah, id say going to 'joe shmoe tactical optics' etc and using paypal is asking for it these days ... certain places are flagging EVERYTHING gun related even airgun forums like this one, trust me .. i would go so far as to say we probably even risk being on some kind of list touching anything gun related online going forward ... sad state of affairs weve allowed to take root in this country ...

Reactions: 450BM
i would 'guess' ANYTHING linked to a gun 'related' site is fair game for liberal targeting .. ive had no problem so far using ebay to buy scopes etc .. but yeah, id say going to 'joe shmoe tactical optics' etc and using paypal is asking for it these days ... certain places are flagging EVERYTHING gun related even airgun forums like this one, trust me .. i would go so far as to say we probably even risk being on some kind of list touching anything gun related online going forward ... sad state of affairs weve allowed to take root in this country ...

This makes since. so they might start locking accounts for buying from any business gun related. it is sad indeed.

Reactions: 450BM

Don’t make this political. This is not “liberal” targeting. It’s a business abusing their power. Politics has nothing to do with it. It’s also against forum rules to mention politics!

Sorry to hear that.I read something of the same last week and tried to defend PayPal as I never had a problem.....now again I hear of a problem;something is not right and I can not defend any business that are such holes....I know you are a upfront person Lewis and I will take is as warning about PayPal and the disrespect you have received from them.

I hope all this gets straiten out;I will now use my bank card instead of PayPal for all hobby gun related purchases...

Old timers may remember when Marty , silverstreaksports , an excellent dealer and tuner was banned and locked down around 2003(?) by paypal. 

At that point I had only used them twice and never looked back.

I still use Postal (only!) Money Orders, personal check if we know the same people or Cash. In our small town the USPS may well not have enough cash on hand to cash one that day But they Can run it to see if it is genuine, and if not they will not be handing it back to you, then drop int my bank 2 blks away.

Paypal has never been good for the sport.

John

edit: just for fun I pulled up an old page from his website, check out the JSB prices. https://web.archive.org/web/20030920135935/http://www.silverstreaksports.com/

Recently someone tried to send me some money and they were told my account was not accepting payment at this time. I really didn't think much of it and figured it was due to system maintenance or similar. 

Fast forward to today... I tried to make an online purchase with Vortek who only accepts PayPal and found my account was "Limited" which is PP speak for blocked.

I called and was told my account was permanently banned. I asked why and was told the reasons cannot be disclosed. I asked if I could appeal and was told no. These bans are permanent and cannot be discussed further. I went through all of the reasons in the user agreement and could find nothing. To make things even worse, any bank account you have linked cannot be linked to a new account. I am FURIOUS. You can't send a person to jail without telling them why. They are WAY to big and powerful when they can lock you out of your own banking with NO explanation of any kind. 

I bring this here in case they are now flagging our hobby as "Weapons" which is the only explanation I can come up with.

This is crazy!

This is why I never keep any kind of a balance with PayPal. I’ve read too many horror stories where PayPal has, in essence, stolen money from people, and offers no way other than “arbitration” for those who may try to regain their funds. PayPal is sometimes a necessary evil, and it kills me to use them, but depending on the situation, it’s better than sending a USPMO.

Just remember at all times - PayPal is not your freind.

Don’t make this political. This is not “liberal” targeting. It’s a business abusing their power. Politics has nothing to do with it. It’s also against forum rules to mention politics!

Don’t kid yourself.

Reactions: Sicumj
I used to sell on eBay. I sold an item that was shipped USPS insured. The buyer paid with Paypal. I heard nothing for 4 months.

Then, I got a message from the buyer stating the item was received damage, and he wanted a refund. I told him it was outside the 60 days to make a claim and I would not honor his request.

The buyer filed a complaint against me with eBay, and Paypal. eBay withdrew the money the buyer had paid me via Paypal, from my bank. The buyer kept what he had bought from me, and got his money back.

I refuse to use either of the services.

Reactions: Senor Ramon
I do not believe it. No way you can talk to a human at a huge corporation these days. Obviously this thread is fiction.

/S

This was the result of talking to actual humans. They just keep repeating that they can't tell me why my account was locked and that I have no recourse for an appeal of any kind.

I wouldn't believe it myself if I were hearing it from someone else. I was very courteous and exhausted every avenue. I sent a letter to the BBB and the company president as I have heard some others have found success through these paths.

Paypal refunded payment to an Ebay purchaser from me when there was no money in my PP account leaving me with a negative balance. I was not given an option to refuse the refund, they simply stole the funds. I have closed my PP account without zeroing out the balance and will never use them again. PP can pound sand as far as I am concerned. I've used Venmo for some online purchases but there are a few entry fees for events I participate in that will only allow PP so I just don't participate any longer. 

Rick H.