• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

paypal is dead to me.

They will never live down their reputation for being among the first to try and sneakily enable a social credit score based financial system in the United States of America. PayPal has been and will continue to seize funds and ban accounts for thought crimes regardless of their public relations walk-back attempt.
Yep I have the same position based on what they did to me/my PayPal account for no reason whatsoever. That’s to say nothing of their outrageous fees vs service. I’m happy using USPS money orders or cash/checks.

Just a question for those who use PayPal for the “recourse” feature when purchasing airguns and related items. Given their fire arms policy, has anyone had good outcomes getting their money back when a transaction went bad?

Asking because if their fire arm policy makes recourse useless then there is no difference from using wires, eChecks or things like Zelle.

-Marty

Stick around, frogs. The water is warm and comfy.

For those who think moves like this will only penalize your ideological enemies, and mock those who stand for basic humanitarian principles such as an censorship-free financial system, they need look no further than everyday life for the subjects of China's CCP.

Or maybe just look at how quickly the definition of "misinformation" changes, possibly never more quickly in history than in the last few years with the weaponized coronavirus situation. We also learned that a subset of the population not only tolerates abject and authoritarian control, but welcomes it (brainwashed into seeing the stronger set as dangerous & evil) and then take part in enforcing it.

To succumb to this system willingly is to give ones self over to a total lack of values and principles, because the end game is you being forced to say anything to remain in compliance. A purely Orwellian near future, if we allow it.

Just a question for those who use PayPal for the “recourse” feature when purchasing airguns and related items. Given their fire arms policy, has anyone had good outcomes getting their money back when a transaction went bad?

Asking because if their fire arm policy makes recourse useless then there is no difference from using wires, eChecks or things like Zelle.

-Marty
Don’t forget the most always required friends and family option.

Lets just see if paypal issues 1099 tax forms for those transactions too

Sigh...

Man, life sure is tough for a lot of people. Then it gets even tougher when people start to make it tough on themselves. (and yes, Businesses do it too...)

Like most people, I have not had a problem with Paypal. Like some people, I do have issues with some of the things they do, or tried to do. However, again like most people, I don't live in a perfect world. If I tried to only do business with people who thought exactly like I did, or who felt about every issue just the way I felt, then I fear I wouldn't do much business at all.

Paypal is super convenient. Using it is, for me, very efficient and very effective. I have not had any trouble with it personally, and honestly, the majority of the time that I see complaints it seems to me that "User Error" is substantially, and sometimes, totally, to blame.

Do I like all of their policies? No. Do I like some of the things they try to do? No. But generally, they respond when the public makes noise and generally they adjust those policies to reflect the negative feedback. I'm not sure what else you would expect from a large corporation that depends on the goodwill of the public/customers to maintain their revenues.

So, they may be dead for some of you, but they're definitely not dead for most people, including most of "us" (whichever particular "us" you may be today). Is it possible that I may pull my business from them because of something they do? Sure. But it's not going to happen for something they screwed up and then rapidly fixed once it became clear to them what a cluster-f**K their new policy was.

And by the way folks, those of you who hate Paypal but like/love Venmo...PayPal OWNS Venmo. And if you think Zelle is super convenient (which it is, for some things), just remember that Zelle has no recourse. None. Nada. Zip. Once you send money via Zelle it is gone. For good, or bad, as the case may be.

As for the comment that big businesses don't do things by accident, well...Wrong. I've been a senior executive of large international businesses for much of my working life and I've seen a boatload of big mistakes. In fact, a big part of my past 15 years I have spent going around the world fixing "mistakes" made by various people who thought they were doing the right thing, except they weren't.
Excellent!!

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I use Paypal weekly for any number of transactions, it is the only way I will buy goods online from a stranger these days. 3% for securing my transaction if the deal goes south is a small price to pay. For face to face deals I will accept cash app, or google pay but thats it.
Will you sing the same tune when they lock your account and hold your money for 6 months after you pay or receive payment for something that is completely legal but they consider the bane of society?

Not trying to pick on you specifically, but many people are perfectly happy with a service until they get caught in the drag net of a firm’s ever changing policies on what is and isn’t ok to buy/sell.

We all take a risk when using PayPal. We are betting on the ease of use, flexibility, and hoping for protection. Yet, the unseen or unspoken danger is there. The only way to change it is to do business with services that align with our own values or have Congress pass a law that prevents payment processors from discriminating against legal transactions. I think the former is easier than the latter but I’d love to see the latter.

PS. This whole deal with classifying fire arm stores by credit card companies is part of the same trend.

-Marty

Reactions: standles
I keep telling my younger friends (which is most of them!), the day will return when a buyer and seller come to an agreement on a transaction without the need for third-party gadgetry. I've never used any payment service, and I've never been screwed on a deal. I have walked away from a few, but that's the nature of the game. There are a lot of folks out there in the fee collection business, and they usually have no risk in the transaction. So, I'm always guided by the old risk-to-reward relationship. If they have no risk, they get no money from me.

Do we all realize that you can buy guns from Pyramyd using Pay Pal right ?

I fail to understand what you all paranoia train starts from.
you must not know of this - "(j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law." directly from PayPal's latest "policies" which has been part of their policy for a few months now.

i have spoke with a couple of airgun stores on their opinion of PayPal's policies as of late, one of them being Pyramid Air. Their response was that they haven't made a decision yet if they will continue using PayPal. So there is concern across the airgun and firearms industry about PayPal's "over reach".

And if "we the people" don't pay attention... and keep supporting these "woke" and "anti-gun" corporations and groups, we are the one who will suffer the most.

At this point I deleted my account with paypal. I wish not to dwell on their policies, what they may do or not do etc. I prefer to focus on positive changes. So what are my options? Venmo is paypal light, Zelle is a possible answer that I will look into. USPS money orders and Personal checks. I believe I can make it work. Sure, I'll have issues buying stuff on delayed payment plans. I just can't have some entity hanging nefarious possible actions over my head. Someone screwed up there big time, Either the company approved asset seizure as part of their conditions of use to be arbitrarily applied as they see fit or some wingnut in their employ came up with that by mistake and a superior approved it! Either way , I can't accept that level of malice or stupidity.
I also deleted paypal. Zelle works great if youre sending 250 or less.