PayPal fees 3.5% ?

I’m just wondering why everyone is over charging on PayPal fees.... I just sold a gun on the forum and PayPal only charged me 2.9%+ $0.30. I read thru the list of fees and the only time PayPal charges 3.5%+$0.15 is when a transaction is manually entered into a PayPal Here card reader. The only time it is higher than that is on international transfers. I was charged $32.20 and at 3.5% it would be $38.50. That’s a $6.30 difference. Which doesn’t seem like much on one sale but there are guys on here that probably sell ten guns a month. Also adding fees to the sales price also raises the fees. But not 6 dollars. It’s about $1 on my transaction. Which is what I used for a base line. I understand everyone has a bottom line and a bottom dollar they are trying to get. I just don’t understand why we are overcharging our fellow airguns.... From what I can tell the fees have been this price since May of 2019. So they didn’t just lower them. Not that we should be charging fees in the first place.....

Happy Shooting,

Phill

I have no idea what the fees are. I have seen 3%, 3.5% and 4%! According to my calculations, that can add $30 to $40 dollars onto the transaction for a $1000 air gun, and mane sold are around that price and higher. Add to that the cost of shipping (I've paid over $50 to ship to some locations) and that really starts to eat into the bottom line! I know I've been bitten in the past if I did not ask for the fee be added, so now I do...

Here are the actual fees... https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

I understand where you are coming from. After $32 in fees and $71 in shipping I’m more than a hundred just gone from the sale. But that is kinda the nature of the beast selling online. That’s why you either have to figure it into your price and hope someone will pay the higher price you’re asking or eat the cost of DOING BUSINESS ONLINE. Really my post isn’t even about the charging of fees. It’s why are we over charging?! Just to make an extra five bucks!? Like I said there are people on here that sell 10 guns a month. That’s an extra $50 for just overcharging.

Those thieves charged me 80€ on fees for handling the transaction and for exchanging the valuta from euros to pounds when i bought an athlon ares scope from opticswarehouse in the UK to the Netherlands.

The scope came and had a defect so i returned it and when the money was returned the fees were not returned, paypal keeps any fees they charge in the case of returned goods.

I went to research and they started doing this from late last year as they used to do before.

That is straight up robbery and i could do nothing about it. Unbelievable.

Yeah international transfer fees are ridiculous! I wouldn’t even do it! It’s all about convenience like Spingrrrr said. Maybe a little added security to the buyer but that’s not there if you’re sending it friends and family anyways. I’m sure this is an old topic. I just noticed I was charged a lesser fee than most people are asking for and I thought it was odd. 

Those thieves charged me 80€ on fees for handling the transaction and for exchanging the valuta from euros to pounds when i bought an athlon ares scope from opticswarehouse in the UK to the Netherlands.

The scope came and had a defect so i returned it and when the money was returned the fees were not returned, paypal keeps any fees they charge in the case of returned goods.

I went to research and they started doing this from late last year as they used to do before.

That is straight up robbery and i could do nothing about it. Unbelievable.

I am not a big fan of PayPal by any means and only use them as a last resort. But maybe I am missing something here about returning goods for a refund. The fees you pay to PayPal are for using their service to transfer funds. If you return something to a vendor or seller why should PayPal be expected to return the fees? They did what they were supposed to do. Whatever money gets refunded for returned merchandise should come from the seller.

With those fees, it surprises me that they have come this far. Convenience it the answer, added to e-bay and a few others that keep them going.

On top of that, they are anti-gun

You do know that eBay founded PayPal and owned it for many years as the transaction system for eBay. I believe the split into two separate companies was about 8-10 years ago. Yet eBay still has a deeper integration with PayPal than any other site. I certainly don't see Venmo stepping in to take its place. 

But if you read the other thread currently going on PP no longer covering air rifles this whole topic becomes a moot point. Just use F&F moving forward.

Unless someone starts up a AirGun Broker business to mediate transactions there's always going to be significant risk in transactions. But no one is going to that for free - there's going to be double shipping costs, broker transaction fee and also legal agreements for both buyer and seller to sign to absolve the broker of liability and also respect decision on gun condition as mediator, as well as standards to be set to judge gun condition. Wait - sounds like the fleabay.

I just feel I need to point out again. That what you guys are talking about is not what I started this thread about. IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY OUR FELLOW AIRGUNERS FEEL THE NEED TO OVER CHARGE ON THE ALREADY HIGH FEES. PAYPAL ONLY CHARGES 2.9%. + 30 cents. Yet everyone who is asking for fees on the forum is asking 3.5%?!?! People are making money off of asking for a higher fee than PayPal charges... I felt like this wouldn’t be a welcome thing and other people might want to know about it...

I think it's because no one is ever really sure about the fees. Unless it has changed, the fee structure did change depending on the dollar amount. 

Also there are PayPal fee calculators out there and they might not be using the most up to date information. 

At the end of the day, yes it is unscrupulous and against the PP TOS to request and additional fee to use purchase over f&f. I had to look up my date, but I've been on ebay since Dec, 2002 so I guess Ive been doing this a while. Who knows, maybe I'm too much of a rule follower or maybe I am that good of a seller but I have never had a bad transaction that went unresolved or not in my favor. I think working in IT since 1997 I see more of the industry details on the goods and the bads of the Internet, maybe this has helped me avoid pitfalls others have fallen in.

What I am getting at is my asking price always includes PP fees if the buyer chooses to go that route and I always include CONUS shipping. Sometimes I've had people throw in the fees as a kind gesture since I didn't ask for shipping fees. I kinda all works out and I've never had anyone ask me if I would subtract 3% if they use F&F (obviously the answer is no as I prefer(ed) you to use purchase option).

And Phillk83 - I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. It's a couple of bucks here or there on an airgun that has a questionable used value range anyway. Be glad the moderators of this forum have given us a relatively safe place to buy and sell our hobby. 

I understand that and good points. Not really bent out of shape. Just wanted to bring to someone’s attention if they cared to listen. And yeah it’s just a couple buck here and there... but to the guy who is always selling that money adds up. I feel the fees are the cost of doing business anymore online. If you don’t like paying them maybe find a different venue or follow the rules. I agree with you totally there.

When I sell something it’s always to your door, includes estimated shipping and pay pal fee in the price I list. It bugs me when I want to buy something and it’s plus 3% pay pal, and shipping. Just add it in to your asking price and keep it simple. I normally won’t buy when they ask for additional fees, unless it’s a really really good price.