PayPal DOES give Purchase Protection on Air Guns

I was recently told by a guy that has bought and sold over 200 air guns that PayPal considers air guns to be firearms and does not cover them under their Purchase Protection Policy. 

I was pretty sure this was not true. I have had Airguns that were misrepresented and PayPal has given me up to $1500 back. So I just called PayPal. The lady on the phone said that Airguns are covered by purchase protection. They are not considered firearms. She even said that she had personally always covered them when there was a dispute. 

The key is that you have to pay for goods and services and list the air gun that you’re buying, and everything that comes with it. The other option is if you have the seller send you an actual invoice through PayPal for goods, again, listing what is being sold. 

So I encourage you all to continue to buy and sell used Airguns on this forum and others. Have no fear of getting ripped off as long as you use PayPal and pay for goods, or get an invoice. Here is their actual policy copy from their website. The lady on the phone said Airguns fell into the paintball gun airsoft gun category.

-Nate @ Youtube’s Airgun Channel 

Paypal Policy: 

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

• Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition.

Fokuchan is one of my favorite members.

I think he nailed it when he said "So I am warning you all that paypal will not or might not protect your used airgun purchases. 

Thanks for posting the link...good reading. 

I would say a good way would be to buy from trusted Forum members on the BOI...AND pay using the Paypal Goods and Services link. 

If you can buy or sell to a trusted Forum member than that's always the best. Many old timers rely only on the BOI boards and have been doing just fine for years. I have had old timers send me Postal Money Orders for over $1000 before. ...a few times. That makes me cringe...but they probably checked me out and for one reason or another they knew they could trust me.

Here is a link to the Yellow BOI: Yellow BOI

and AGN "BOI" called Member Feedback: AGN Member Feedback

and American Airgun Classifieds Scammer Listings: AAC Scammer Listings

...and good luck! -Nate 

If you can buy or sell to a trusted Forum member than that's always the best. Many old timers rely only on the BOI boards and have been doing just fine for years. I have had old timers send me Postal Money Orders for over $1000 before. ...a few times. That makes me cringe...but they probably checked me out and for one reason or another they knew they could trust me.

Here is a link to the Yellow BOI: Yellow BOI

and AGN "BOI" called Member Feedback: AGN Member Feedback

and American Airgun Classifieds Scammer Listings: AAC Scammer Listings

...and good luck! -Nate

Hope they weren't fraudulent as the USPS does NOT issue money orders for over $1000. $1K is their max

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

OIK guys, I just got a dispute for an airgun I sold. After contacting Paypal, The Dispute was from the Bank and not the PayPal account holder. My assumption is the buyer disputed it with his bank. The transaction was 6/28/2018. I have text messages and PM's from this forum to back me up. I also have messages today fro the buyer stating he did buy the gun and was trying to correct the issue. The gun was hand delivered to a friend that I had all the info and also have text messages from. I also contact his friend and told him that if I didn't get paid, I was going to file a Police report.

I hope you're right that Paypal DOES give Purchase Protection on Air guns. I'll be sure to let all of you know the outcome.

Check this out. This guy on airgun Warriors may have solved the problem

QUOTE: 

I think you might not have mentioned that if you use Pay Pal and put the item on a credit card you can just complain to the card company and that forces Pay Pal to get your money back and that works with a transfer

I have had to use it and had no problem

the bottom line is some people don't like Pay Pal and never shop on Ebay but some of us do like both

those of us that do will continue on, those that don't will never change there minds and in reality does it matter

I am toward the end of a disputed Airgun sale with me being the seller. To shorten the story, I invoiced the gun and was paid off the invoice. To save the $120 shipping, I agreed to personally give the gun to a friend that would hand carry it. Of course I got his name, rental and Airline he was departing on and including his cell number. Two months later(this past Monday), I receive a dispute. I text the guy back and forth and I find out Bank is the one that filed the dispute, Not the buyer. The Buyer stated that someone hacked his bank account and the bank put a dispute on my sale. I have BS emails and the buyer admitting he has the gun and bought other items from forum members here. I texted the guy that picked up the gun and he was pi$$ed. I told him that I personally handed him the gun and I would press charges if this wasn't taken cared of by Friday (today). All texts from both the buyer and the buyers friend was sent to PayPal charge back email address. I was asked by the buyers friend to invoice him. He just paid it tonight and said he was going to take it out on the buyer as he is a good buddy of his that has just hit hard times. Prior to sending this invoice I forgot to mention that I also called PayPal to confirm that this was OK with them, and I was given the go ahead. There is a whole lot more in this saga. 

The dispute stands and the buyers friend will get his money back from me if PayPal decides in my favor. I'm not sure how long it will take, but at least I will have my money one way or another!!

Anytime you have a disputed case, document, document, document!!! Email all documents as soon as you can and include your case number in the Subject line. If you have to send 50 emails, send 50 emails. PayPal's decision is based on what you send. Once they make a decision it's too late to send your documentation. Luckily my email and text trail started well before the sale and after the dispute. (I sent 20 text print screens and a number of emails)

One thing I made sure of was to send emails and texts to the buyers registered PayPal address and make sure the reply's are also the same registered number or address. 

Will update the outcome when the decision is made.

Duanen, Bummer, hope it all works out well for ( the honest people) you.

Very thoughtful non offensive post which is nice and hard to so while "contesting" your transaction. And while you are being so thoughtful as to give the other party every every chance and not say an unkind word about them, you did say a forum member here and I can not be the only one who wouldn't mind knowing who this person is who " has just hit hard times " . I'm sure you could craft something not worded the way I might ( ie" " has just hit hard times " - intentionally committed bank fraud...). This person is very likely on every forum having the same "hard times" and/or they'll have another,ummmm, mistake.

Documentation is good and key. I got ripped off by Chris Teodoro of Filarms. Was certain no money would be returned but had the documents to easily get charges files and did file charges. Now that was years ago and Mr.Teodoro and his green card now own a food truck in CA , have criminal charges filed and the poor fellow just may "fall on hard times soon".

Last harp,

IF people used REAL names in the buyers/sellers section the buyers/sellers section MIGHT be of use. Uba buddy giving cman a "reference" w/not even any email much less a name is not a usef tool against scammers.

John Blount

John

Fokuchan is one of my favorite members.

I think he nailed it when he said "So I am warning you all that paypal will not or might not protect your used airgun purchases. 

Thanks for posting the link...good reading. 

I would say a good way would be to buy from trusted Forum members on the BOI...AND pay using the Paypal Goods and Services link. 

Thank you for the compliments. I can say paypal does give protection with airguns as long as you make it very clear that it is not a firearm and that others have been protected by paypal. Also point out that airguns are able to be purchased without any sort of background check or license(some may need to be over 18). People can also buy airguns through ebay. You do these things and then will be able to get a fair dispute. 

Reactions: Bernie7