PayPal DOES give Purchase Protection on Air Guns

I am toward the end of a disputed Airgun sale with me being the seller. To shorten the story, I invoiced the gun and was paid off the invoice. To save the $120 shipping, I agreed to personally give the gun to a friend that would hand carry it. Of course I got his name, rental and Airline he was departing on and including his cell number. Two months later(this past Monday), I receive a dispute. I text the guy back and forth and I find out Bank is the one that filed the dispute, Not the buyer. The Buyer stated that someone hacked his bank account and the bank put a dispute on my sale. I have BS emails and the buyer admitting he has the gun and bought other items from forum members here. I texted the guy that picked up the gun and he was pi$$ed. I told him that I personally handed him the gun and I would press charges if this wasn't taken cared of by Friday (today). All texts from both the buyer and the buyers friend was sent to PayPal charge back email address. I was asked by the buyers friend to invoice him. He just paid it tonight and said he was going to take it out on the buyer as he is a good buddy of his that has just hit hard times. Prior to sending this invoice I forgot to mention that I also called PayPal to confirm that this was OK with them, and I was given the go ahead. There is a whole lot more in this saga. 

The dispute stands and the buyers friend will get his money back from me if PayPal decides in my favor. I'm not sure how long it will take, but at least I will have my money one way or another!!

Anytime you have a disputed case, document, document, document!!! Email all documents as soon as you can and include your case number in the Subject line. If you have to send 50 emails, send 50 emails. PayPal's decision is based on what you send. Once they make a decision it's too late to send your documentation. Luckily my email and text trail started well before the sale and after the dispute. (I sent 20 text print screens and a number of emails)

One thing I made sure of was to send emails and texts to the buyers registered PayPal address and make sure the reply's are also the same registered number or address. 

Will update the outcome when the decision is made.

The title of this thread is partially true, but I don't think I will be doing future business with PayPal for Expensive items, namely Airguns.

With all the information I sent to Paypal, The bank has continued the charge back and on top of that Paypal is charging me 20.00! 

Clarifying PayPal Seller protection......

PayPal will fight for you with the Bank. BUT if the bank does not reverse the chargeback you are still out your money. Under the seller protection in this case, Paypal will gather all the documentation so far, and will "Mail you the Hard copies" so you can persue legal action against the Bank. That is as far as Paypal will go under this "Seller protection." Seller protection does not mean money back! 

Things I learned:

1) Dealing with someone with little or no post on the forum you're selling your item is a higher risk.

2) Use your Credit card for additional protection from fraud as well as this situation I'm in. I couldn't because I had a balance and PayPal took the funds out of that.

3) DO NOT face to face sell with Paypal. Shipping and tracking number are a requirement!!! You're screwed without this type of paperwork. Read the Seller protection section in PayPal. 

4) Seller protection does not mean you will get your money back. It's more of: We'll give you additional help "trying"to get your money back. If not, we'll give you all the documentation so YOU can pursue legal action.

5) I need a go fund me for an expensive learning lesson.

I'm hoping this will help you guys in future sales. I'll chime in if I can think of anything else, . Also, if you guys have any questions, Post them here and I'll answer them here.

If you can buy or sell to a trusted Forum member than that's always the best. Many old timers rely only on the BOI boards and have been doing just fine for years. I have had old timers send me Postal Money Orders for over $1000 before. ...a few times. That makes me cringe...but they probably checked me out and for one reason or another they knew they could trust me.

Here is a link to the Yellow BOI: Yellow BOI

and AGN "BOI" called Member Feedback: AGN Member Feedback

and American Airgun Classifieds Scammer Listings: AAC Scammer Listings

...and good luck! -Nate

Hope they weren't fraudulent as the USPS does NOT issue money orders for over $1000. $1K is their max

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm Big Tin , thanks for the links, roger

Hey, I started this thread and I just got screwed on Paypal....probably my fault.

I didn't test a gun for 3 months, then sold it, then got it returned (on eBay), then discovered the barrel had been cut and re-crowned, the gun hits 15 yards left at 50 yards, 

Paypal told me to shove it. So after I sell the gun for $500 to a barrel fixer : I'll loose around $200 on the "Benjamin Bulldog deal". Not the end of the world, but lame. 

Next gun I buy through Paypal:

WILL GO ON MY CREDIT CARD 

and 

WILL BE TESTED THE SAME DAY I RECEIVE IT. 

Then I should be fine. -Nate 

Documentation is good and key. I got ripped off by Chris Teodoro of Filarms. Was certain no money would be returned but had the documents to easily get charges files and did file charges. Now that was years ago and Mr.Teodoro and his green card now own a food truck in CA , have criminal charges filed and the poor fellow just may "fall on hard times soon"

He's still running an airgun biz in the PH. Even I am surprised. Lookup air power engineering on facebook if you have it

While this may be good for airgunners, right now, I personally won't use any company that attempts to curtail my 2nd Amendment rights by any means. Like you are saying, right at this moment they don't realize what they are doing, but look for them to attack us as soon as they do. You might as well let Michael Bloomberg decide what you can purchase. We are in for a very serious fight for our constitutional right in America and I draw the line anywhere I can with my dollars spent.

I also talked directly to a Paypal representative recently and what he told me was similar to what Nate said. The representative said you do not mention "firearm" and you can not use F & F. The transaction must be for goods and services which means there will be a 3.5% charge. Personally I would require an invoice listing the item and probably describe the item by name only without saying "gun" or "airgun" and definitely do not say "firearm".