paypal claiming air rifle is firearm

Recently bought an Eagle Claw .25 from private party. Rifle was not as described when arrived and filed a claim with paypal for misrepresentation by seller and rifle had damage not described by seller. Just got the denial claim from paypal on the grounds that the air rifle is classified by them as a firearm. In other words, any air rifle you purchase, or sell, through paypal is NOT covered under their purchase protection plan. Paypal is useless for any problems you may have with your transaction. 

People suck and the institutions people create suck. Everyone is greedy and screws everyone over. There's only about 2000 years worth of history to back up my statements if anyone disagrees. Very few understand the "civil" part of civilization.

Human beings are few and far between, but fortunately there are some left. Finding them is hard, surprising at times, and faith-renewing when it happens.

Sorry for you, my man. Hopefully you can correct the issues or the humans around here can help without you laying out too much more cash.

I for one, keep rolling the dice. As a man and a human, I always expect the like in return. Shame on those that fall short. Their shortcomings are more than just what they exhibit to me..

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/new-paypal-agreements-how-will-they-affect-your-business-here/

I talked about this and the other PayPal changes coming.

If ANY site isn't a PayPal hosted site, you're not protected.

That means no item you buy here or anywhere that's not a PayPal hosted site? You're out of the cash if someone sends you a box of rocks. 

AND, I had a guy who wanted my R1. Was mad because I wouldn't sell it to him. I wouldn't sell it to anyone. It was just in a picture near an item that was for sale.

My Mother whose now dead & gone helped me buy it many years ago. The guy calls me two days in a row. Yeah I hung up on him. Yup I told him that I wouldn't sell it not even for $650 because I wouldn't ever find another. He's mad and spiteful and puts this under my profile. Only negative I've had in 13 years. 
When I read the below I asked everyone if they were happy with sales. If not I would buy items back. 

(very dishonest seller .well play games and make up lies to get more money any way he can .very disrespecting person ,it was very disturbing to listen to him lie for 2 days in raw)

It's hard enough to sell stuff without negativity and fear of no protection.

• Wow
Reactions: uladz
Wow, that sucks. Keeping an eye on this, not using Paypal any more if they don't correct this.

Hey AG Brother Vince,

In PayPal's eyes, they have corrected it.

My above link was brought about, hmm, had to be around a month ago.

What I read & understood it to be is we're all not covered here.

A gentleman brought up the idea of invoicing. I have the ability to do that through my Wife's company Power Lotus Group LLC. as that's who I sell Alkin Compressors through. I'm a Marketing Rep. Not a Dealer. I am for every Dealer.
It wouldn't help her/me, buyer or seller unless seller is a PayPal hosting web site.

Now if say a fee were to be introduced to be a member here. To have The Privilege of being a protected member of The Greatest AG forum on Earth.
THEN, we would be protected. 
That's something I would have no problem with whatsoever as long as the classified section allows bumping of ad once evey 1-3 days. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks or more for the word to get out that something is for sale. 

I'm sorry fellas but PayPal is anti gun of any kind. I said this before I got PayPal. I KNEW airguns were going to be cut out; but I didn't see the must be a hosting web site thing coming.

I don't understand this. Paypal is merely a vehicle for transferring funds. They have no knowledge of what products and services are being traded. If your gun was damaged, isn't the shipping company liable?

Why would the shipping company be liable if the seller sent an item that isn't as described?

I'm not writing/talking down to you but words are easily misconstrued many times. The seller misrepresented the item.

Anytime you file a claim with PayPal they dang sure ask who, what, where you bought them from. 

Plain & simple, they're not going to cover ANYTHING FROM ANYONE (not yelling, stressing the point) that isn't paying them to have a link connected to them. They're eliminating anything that sends a projectile. I wouldn't be surprised if Archery items are next. EVEN if bought through a big hosting seller like Lancaster Archery or 3 Rivers.

They're not for Sportsman in any shape, form, kind, way. Period. 

We might have to go to what I said over 10 years ago.

An intermediary neutral trusted party that holds item until paid in full, and communication with buyer, testing is CRUCIAL to this working.

I'm a stay at home Dad who could do this. With nothing but 100% positive feedback from old Yellowforum BOI (Board Of Inquiry), GTA, & AGN. 
Until a spiteful person posted otherwise under my character profile. 
Notice I'm not naming names? I asked in a PM but they don't answer. Silence is admission of guilt. I'm willing to take it all public if the anonymous person is. 

https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/admission-by-silence/

When I filed claim with paypal, they asked for response from seller. He stated rifle was in excellent condition. Had wood chip in stock, gouge in stock and in forearm crack that went all the way through. He also showed pictures that had a bipod mounted on rifle. When it showed up, I asked him where was bipod. His answer was not part of deal. Then I asked him to provide insurance coverage. No response. He didn't bother to purchase insurance. Paypal is garbage. They sell you on the fact that is there is a problem they will take care of. If they are going to classify air rifles as firearms, paypal is worthless for us to us as payment.

Reactions: JamesD.
As stated above, your best course of action is to dispute the charge with your credit card company. They will credit your account and charge back the seller's account until the dispute is resolved. Yes, the Paypal definition of air gun as a firearm is frustrating, but since it is a company policy, they can do as they wish. I wonder if there is a stated exclusion anywhere in the Paypal documentation for firearms. If not, and the transaction is not otherwise illegal, you might have a case with some meat, but probably not worth the cost to pursue. 

Gawd, I hate having to pull information out of an onion. You have the chance to increase the body of knowledge and benefit all the members of AGN who wish to continue to buy from our fellow hobbyists. By being tight with the information, you deny us the ability to learn from your mistake. Do you want others to suffer the same loss you have?

WHERE DID THE DEAL GET NEGOTIATED?? - Gunbroker, Ebay, straight from email, other want ad sources?

I start to believe that you were emailed, or were referred to a "friend" of a guy who had what you wanted. That is a classic scam technique. If I presume wrong, please set me straight about how the deal went down. 

WHAT WEB SITE was the source of your contact?

DID YOU TRY to solve the issue with the seller?

HOW DID YOU FUND the paypal? Did you use Friends and Family or did you pay for GOODS and SERVICES??

Does Ryan Lindsay have an AGN user name?

Reactions: Airgun Al
Gawd, I hate having to pull information out of an onion. You have the chance to increase the body of knowledge and benefit all the members of AGN who wish to continue to buy from our fellow hobbyists. By being tight with the information, you deny us the ability to learn from your mistake. Do you want others to suffer the same loss you have?

WHERE DID THE DEAL GET NEGOTIATED?? - Gunbroker, Ebay, straight from email, other want ad sources?

I start to believe that you were emailed, or were referred to a "friend" of a guy who had what you wanted. That is a classic scam technique. If I presume wrong, please set me straight about how the deal went down. 

WHAT WEB SITE was the source of your contact?

DID YOU TRY to solve the issue with the seller?

HOW DID YOU FUND the paypal? Did you use Friends and Family or did you pay for GOODS and SERVICES??

Does Ryan Lindsay have an AGN user name?

The OP posted merely to state the Paypal "firearm" policy as it relates to air rifle transactions. The details of his transaction with the seller are not public information. I assume he is continuing his attempts to resolve the situation, which would probably not be enhanced by disclosing details on the forum. DEMANDING private information from him seems a bit out of bounds. Just my opinion. 

Public forum... Post about it and we talk about it. Got it?

The first step in resolving problem.s is to work with the other party, not jump to a SNAD claim. I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the OP tried to work with the seller before escalation to PP. Given the SNAD issue, we are left to presume that the seller will not work it out. Ipso Facto, I don't want to make a deal with that kind of seller.

Wanna talk about it?

OPs problem sucks and I was unaware of the PP policy changes regarding coverage on air guns. Thankfully my CC company had my back on a pre-order I had placed with a particular custom airgun company that was completely past the PP 6 mo timeframe. 

I regards to the cause of the OPs problem, it seem worth discussion for several different reasons:

• If we can't use PayPal what is our trusted source of payment for coverage if not buying from a PayPal billed storefront. 
  • Does this mean PayPal will still cover firearm accessories? They can't say a scope is a firearm, can they?
  • An important reminder for people to do their diligence when buying used. If I'm buying something from someone I have no idea about, like a Classifieds seller who never really posts much so you don't have a vibe about them, I need to see pictures (good quality ones) of both side of the gun, close-ups of stock and action. If I'm still not convinced a picture with a custom requested object in it. Still not convinced request a short shooting video of the air gun. Long and short - if something doesn't feel right there's probably a good reason. 

Reactions: scottblair
I found this disclosure in about the second layer of "fine print" on the PP site. I would say there is a good chance that a rifle scope would be claimed as a similar "Prohibited Activity". It seems, not only is the protection plan excluded, but the transaction itself is prohibited by PP policy. They may not deny the transaction on its face (they want the fee), but if anything goes wrong, they will be quick to say, "well, it was a transaction prohibited by our policy, sorry, and don't to that anymore."

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
  2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
    [/LIST=1]