Paying Rent

If you think federal regulation definitions are the same between all government agencies, you would be wrong. As a federal employee for 37 years, I know this to be fact. You are probably referring to definitions under the Alphabet org (BATFE) which is a bureau under the Justice Department. They have nothing to do with migratory bird hunting regulations. Those are determined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the Department of Interior and your states local Department of Natural Resources. Good luck in trying to use Alphabet org rules in your defense of shooting Mourning Doves with a pellet rifle. If your states regulations specifically state that you may hunt them with an air gun using pellets, then your ok. In my state of Maryland, the penalty for hunting dove with other than a bow or shotgun is a $1500 fine and/or 1 year in jail as per DNR regulations.

Here in New Mexico, regular dove season is over. However, the dove season for Eurasian doves (collared or Streptopelia Decaocto) is never closed, and there are no bag limits. I believe this is true of every state in the union. 

While I like dove, preparing doves to eat is a real pain, and you can eat too many! I finally started boiling them, and feeding the meat to our dogs. They got tired of them too! So now, I just pick them up, and toss them out in the trash. I'm sure PETA will hate me, but both of my permissions have so many, it is easy to shoot 50 or more every day! My yearly total? Don't ask as I don't want any hate mail from PETA!

Thanks for everyone's input on hunting dove with an air rifle. I've hunted them for years with an air rifle. I had no idea it was against the law. At least I can still hunt tree rats with my air rifle. It's a whole lot easier to bag dove with my shotgun anyway. Just was cheaper with the air rifle. It would have really hurt for a game warden to take my HW97KT 😩

As others have stated, know the law before you go out as they vary from state to state. Penalties can be excessive. I was checked by the DNR in the middle of the wilderness (we were "out there") yesterday quail hunting in New Mexico ( no problems), so you never know when you will be faced with the law. Although most DNR officers are very friendly and helpful, I did have one young officer threaten to write me a citation for not signing my Federal Duck stamp until her senior partner stepped in. My personal opinion is it's bogus that we cannot shoot doves with an air rifle. If you do decide to shot them anyways, know there can be consequences.

Shot my first White-winged doves in that picture, they are about 1/3 larger than the Mourning dove. Haven't cooked them yet, waiting for my kids to be home. I find they are easy to clean and prepare. I can pluck/gut 30 in minutes( you can breast them even faster ).

I soak the plucked birds in Italian dressing for at least 4 hrs. I create an aluminum pan and put them on the grill with green/red bell peppers,onions, and Green Chili. If you breast them, you can soak them and/or wrap them in bacon so they don't dry out. My kids love this and they NEVER go to waste!

Alan, I wish I had your problem! The Anti's have blocked us from hunting in the Entire central counties of Sandoval and Bernalillo where of course the Eurasians are located.

Maybe I missed something here, but in New Mexico, it is legal to shoot doves with a pellet gun. In fact, you can use a pellet gun for all non game species, and all non protected species. This includes all doves, feral pigs, coyotes, squirrels, skunks, raccoon (if you have a permit), rabbits, hares, tahr (some areas have tahr seasons, some don't), armadillos, and a few others. 

Eurasion collared doves, yes, but not Mourning doves.

From the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish 2016-2017 Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement publication: 

Legal Sporting Arms

Migratory game birds may be taken with a shotgun fired from the shoulder, provided it is no larger than 10-gauge and incapable of holding more than three shells, or it is plugged with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembly which renders it incapable of holding more than three shells. Migratory game birds also may be taken with muzzle-loading shotguns firing shot, bow and arrows and crossbow and bolts.

In addition to the New Mexico regulations set forth in this booklet, the following federal regulations apply to taking, possessing, transporting and storing migratory game birds (ducks, geese, coots, common moorhens, snipes, soras, rails, doves, band-tailed pigeons and sandhill cranes). Persons cited for violating federal regulations will be required to appear in federal court. The complete federal regulations (50 CFR-Part 20) is available online: https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/50_CFR_20.pdf.

In that federal publication, it states that migratory birds may not be taken with a rifle or pistol.

Pellet guns are not mentioned as a legal method for taking furbearers including racoon, coyote, skunk...etc.

Looks like the only game you can take there with a pellet gun are grouse, Eurasian collared-dove, and squirrel.

Reactions: JimNM