Paying Rent

The morning doves have moved in to my place. Every morning there are from 50 to 300 of them on the house, in the garden, setting on the fences, all over the roof, and in the trees over my pickup. They do this every year. They even have the audacity to set on my targets in front of my shooting bench. This morning they start paying RENT! Tonight it's morning dove sautéed and garden squash.

"outdoorman"Well, they are called Mourning Doves and it's illegal to hunt them with a pellet gun in the U.S. and I believe that applies to Canada and Mexico as well.
There are several species of dove in the US. Eurasian and African collared doves are considered invasive pests and can be taken with air rifles (at least in some states) with no season or bag limit.

Mourning Doves are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. From the Code of Federal Regulations Title 50 part 20:

§ 20.21 What hunting methods are illegal?

Migratory birds on which open seasons are prescribed in this part may be taken by any method except those prohibited in this section. No persons shall take migratory game birds:
(a) With a trap, snare, net,rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
(b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells; 

Reactions: gamyrick
This could be one of those big debates that don't settle anything and are a waste of time. Permits can be had to take morning doves with an airgun. Also land owners have a lot of leeway within the regulations. As far as I'm concerned, morning doves nest all over my farm and raise their young in the spring. When they show up in droves in the fall and I decide dove dinner is in order I don't care if I shoot 4 of them with my airgun or my shotgun. I've done more to promote and protect them by eliminating the dozens of feral house cats that travel the drainage ditch on my farm then you can imagine. At one time the cats, skunks and foxes completely wiped out the pheasant, quail and dove population. When I brought this up with the fish and game department they told me there were NO foxes, cats and skunks. Fish and game couldn't manage a gold fish in a bowl on their desk. BUT, that's just my rant and my opinion in my little part of the world. 

It is fact that Morning doves are a migratory bird and fall under Federal Regulation. As stupid as it sounds, it can be a Class C felony to violate migratory bird regulations. Although I hardly doubt that you will be hauled off to jail for shooting a dove with a pellet gun, if you piss the wrong officer off, he could in fact, take your gun, impound your truck, and put you in jail. Thanks Gamyrick for the tip as I would love to hunt doves with an Air rifle. In New Mexico it is legal to shoot collared- doves and there is no season or bag limit. My advise is to know your state regulations. I hardly think that the DNR are looking for the airgunner popping all those doves but, if you came across the "wrong" officer, he/she could make you have a bad day.
If I am asked what I shot my doves with, I always say, " #7 shot heavy trap loads really reach out there"!
[url="http://i.imgur.com/yxck93t.jpg"][img]http://i.imgur.com/yxck93t.jpg[/img][/url]