• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Paul Watts

I have an AA Pro Elite and a Diana 54 that have had his handiwork applied. Both excellent!

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_7197.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the younger folks know Paul Watts and how much of a true Master Springer tuner he is. The only tuner that I can compare him to in the PCP aka "Darkside" is AZ.
Paul , using his Sunne hone would true the piston bore just to get started , then size the piston seal. Piston guides were installed, all sized to allow the piston to move in a straight trued direction. Incredible smoooothnist during the shot cycle making the gun so accurate .
In the age of pcp's, it seems that these iconic springer tuners are forgotten.
I still believe if a new airgunner starts with a good high springer, learn to shoot it well, then if he wishes to venture into the "DarkSide " he will be a better shooter.
Thanks, Mike Aka Dr.PestDeath

Yes, do not send him your gun….he was the best there was.But like everything else in life, all things will come to an end. I spoke with him on the phone about 3 years ago. Told him what I wanted done. He told me if I was willing to wait to send him the gun.….. Never heard a word from him….tried to call him numerous times… never could get in touch with him…. After 1 year he finally answered his phone. He was mad at me for calling him about asking about my gun….! The he calmed down and told me he was going to work on my gun in the next month… another year passed….. nothing…
finally got in touch with him again… this time I told him to mail me back the gun…This to was more trouble… I had to jump through hope to get a paid ups driver to get to his house and pick up the gun…. I asked him ( considering he had my gun for over 2 ) if he could send me a spring and a new seal…
Nope…. I did get the gun back finally…. recap… shipped the gun there …shipped the gun back…I got nothing but not having my gun for 2.5 years…
Paul was the best there was…but those days are over….

I've heard he was one of the best,I'd personally love to have a rifle with one of his tunes....I have also heard that he is or was very sick,and a lot of people had there rifles there for years without being returned,or any communication....again,this is just what I heard,I have no experience with him.
Damn shame if it's true.

Unfortunately I can think of top 4 highly regarded tuners of 14- 20 years ago on the old yellow forum who were the "toast of the town" in airgun forums- until they weren't, fading away along with many airgunners property who had sent their guns to them in good faith.
Any oldtimers remember the respected Marauder tuner I think in Arizona who " got sick " and went away with an undetermined number of Marauders and advance payments for the tunes?
Sad.

Unfortunately I can think of top 4 highly regarded tuners of 14- 20 years ago on the old yellow forum who were the "toast of the town" in airgun forums- until they weren't, fading away along with many airgunners property who had sent their guns to them in good faith.
Any oldtimers remember the respected Marauder tuner I think in Arizona who " got sick " and went away with an undetermined number of Marauders and advance payments for the tunes?
Sad.
It sucks really,I know if it were me I wouldn't care if I had to have a family member mail back all the rifles I couldn't finish with a apology that I was sick and just couldn't get it done.....everyone would totally understand that,but just keeping people's stuff and not replying for years at a time is just unacceptable in my book, I don't care how good you can tune a rifle.

Yes, do not send him your gun….he was the best there was.But like everything else in life, all things will come to an end. I spoke with him on the phone about 3 years ago. Told him what I wanted done. He told me if I was willing to wait to send him the gun.….. Never heard a word from him….tried to call him numerous times… never could get in touch with him…. After 1 year he finally answered his phone. He was mad at me for calling him about asking about my gun….! The he calmed down and told me he was going to work on my gun in the next month… another year passed….. nothing…
finally got in touch with him again… this time I told him to mail me back the gun…This to was more trouble… I had to jump through hope to get a paid ups driver to get to his house and pick up the gun…. I asked him ( considering he had my gun for over 2 ) if he could send me a spring and a new seal…
Nope…. I did get the gun back finally…. recap… shipped the gun there …shipped the gun back…I got nothing but not having my gun for 2.5 years…
Paul was the best there was…but those days are over….
Although PW did a great job on my R7, my experience was similar. He had the gun for about 18-21 months, and it did take a lot of ‘follow up’ on my part to get the job done and have the gun shipped back to me. That was at least 10 years ago, and since then I’ve come to enjoy self-tuning and tinkering with my spring guns myself (although my skills are nowhere near that of any pro tuner).
R

It sucks really,I know if it were me I wouldn't care if I had to have a family member mail back all the rifles I couldn't finish with a apology that I was sick and just couldn't get it done.....everyone would totally understand that,but just keeping people's stuff and not replying for years at a time is just unacceptable in my book, I don't care how good you can tune a rifle.
Your reply reflects my thoughts exactly, and I would think just about any other normally moral person.
I should add I have had NO dealings with any of these tuners personally, I'm just surprised at the number of well known tuners that take a wrong turn eventually.

I have heard so many times about similar events on all sorts of things, whether guns, trains, cars or paintings.
Truth be told everyone gets older and many people get older and sicker, some die and some just survive.
Most of the tuners I have heard of over the years are but memories.
Some people take a chance because the "tuner" is well known and it is more of an ego trip for them.
This saga is not new! Why would a person not beware of the age or sickness thing?
Many years ago Paul Watt stated he was not taking any new work.
I know this is no excuse for him not to at least send your guns back to you.
I was reading Jan Kramer and other tuners.
I have custom .45s,the wait time on one "tuner was 2 years and then no more.
Also I custom model car molder said the same thing, no more orders,he, they are up to 2 years' worth of orders.
Protect yourself from the disappointments and loss of guns,
I would think it is is wise to wait and let the tuner tell you when he or she is ready for your airgun.
No air gun tunes before their time.....
This problem has happened to others and by other tuners.
Some sick people only care about getting well and about themselves, keep that in mind.

These are only comments and not excuses for someone that has failed you.
I remember the day I gave my last money,$100 to a friend to buy something for me,the next day he jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge,
His name was Paul Lewis.I always think to myself,What the f**k Paul, that over a woman!!

• Wow
Reactions: dgeesaman