Patriot Javelin 34 gr slug consistency

I couldn't stand it , and ordered a new .22 caliber, 700 MM Panthera from Utah Airguns this week. It just sounds like a really fun project, and as I have tested many slugs through my various pcps with only very limited success, I thought it time to try a purpose built slug gun, figuring no airgun collection is complete without at least one gun that shoots slugs accurately. I have secured a new Sightron SIIISS 10-50x60 scope to install on the Eaglevision Infinity mounts. I intend to purchase three sets of the M-Lok Rail weights, then should be good to go for initial testing, once it arrives.

Watching all of the videos and reading all of the available information to date, it appears that the Patriot Javelin 34 gr slug is the most successfully tested projectile in the prototypes, so I looked around and found 200 of each the .217 and .218 Javelins. They came in this week. Out of curiosity, I decided to examine for consistency 10 of each, just to see how good the control process is. I have previously done a lot of this with pellets, and with a 34 gr JSB, I have found they can easily vary +/-1 a full grain in weight, and have significant variance in the head size as well.

I picked and examined at random, 10 of each of the .217 and .218 Javelins. They were very consistent as evidenced by the accompanying chart found below.

Consistency Evaluation.12.18.22.jpg

Slugs are generally pretty consistent vs pellets. How is the condition of them btw?
Patriot Javelins tend to be the most beaten up/damaged slugs I buy- with lots of skirt and nose damage, making them more prone to flyers than H&N, Zan etc.

It especially affects those at the bottom of the tub so may not be immediately apparent and is also worst in the heavier weights. I assume it’s because the packaging is relatively tall and the bottom slugs get hammered by those above in shipping. Obviously the very soft lead doesn’t help either. I live in South Africa so mine traveled a much shorter distance than those you have too…
Anyway hope they perform for you! They can be very good if tuned right and in decent nick.

One thing that confuses me about the Panther. The hype is that it was made specifically to compete against .22 Rimfire by shooting 40 grain slugs (same as .22 LR) at 1050 fps approx. so that ballistic performance and BC are equivalent.
Yet here we are with many new reviews and all the paid reviewers are shooting 34 grain slugs at just over 1000 fps instead of the 40 grain. Obviously the ballistic performance is good, but we’re still not comparing apples to apples with the 40 grainers.
Is this because with 40s the gun gets way less shots from the 300cc bottle, or is it much smoother and better shooting without stressing the gun so much shooting the 34s?
Inquiring minds want to know?
Dubber had said in one of his RMAC videos that his Impact with 800mm barrel shooting 40 grainers at 1050 fps, he was getting 18 shots from a 580cc bottle… I wonder how many shots the Panther gets shooting 40s at 1050 fps from the stock 300cc bottle?

One thing that confuses me about the Panther. The hype is that it was made specifically to compete against .22 Rimfire by shooting 40 grain slugs (same as .22 LR) at 1050 fps approx. so that ballistic performance and BC are equivalent.
Yet here we are with many new reviews and all the paid reviewers are shooting 34 grain slugs at just over 1000 fps instead of the 40 grain. Obviously the ballistic performance is good, but we’re still not comparing apples to apples with the 40 grainers.
Is this because with 40s the gun gets way less shots from the 300cc bottle, or is it much smoother and better shooting without stressing the gun so much shooting the 34s?
Inquiring minds want to know?
Dubber had said in one of his RMAC videos that his Impact with 800mm barrel shooting 40 grainers at 1050 fps, he was getting 18 shots from a 580cc bottle… I wonder how many shots the Panther gets shooting 40s at 1050 fps from the stock 300cc bottle?
I was going to post a thread asking the same question. The influencer types have definitely shifted away from the 40 gr slugs to the 34’s.
I remember the initial videos claiming 16-18 and the new valve being responsible for the shot count?
I am guessing that you may be right and the low shot count, even if it was 16 is more hassle than it is worth.