PART II...Is a .30 caliber airgun REALLY deadlier than a .25?

0E90CF6A-24DA-40A4-881B-71B032F5B1A1.1633827685.jpeg

I would be interested in what type of ballistic data from powder burners you’re referring to?

Also a real life example would be good.

When the 220 Swift was first introduced, people were using it to kill moose. That didn’t last long. For moose I think the 300 WinMag on up would be more appropriate.

You definitely have my curiosity.

To save some time, I do understand that long thin bullets have much better BC then short fat ones.

My first really long range PB was a 6.5 x 284, Which I hand loaded of course. Now I just use a boring 270…I would have no issue with going after a moose with it if I had to, I would pick appropriate bullets. I would still prefer something a little bit bigger. Something so that if I hit him in the shoulder, it would just blow it apart. if I had to pick out of my own stock right now, I would pick the 9.3 x 74 for moose. With open sites. It’s a pretty anemic old round. If I were going for elk I would go with a 300 H&H, Another anemic old round. And I’m very serious when I say that. They’re not hot rods.

I think this is a great post, I just wish they had chosen a different rifles to compare.

As I mentioned above I’d love to see a version three. But this time pick a hot rod 30 cal, along with a hot rod 25, and maybe throw in the 357 for comparison.

When you cook the pork I would suggest sauerkraut.

mike

And now I’m going to completely contradict myself, with an example below. The most famous elephant Hunter ever, killed most of them with a very anemic 6.5.

Can anyone guess why am doing this? Showing the other side of the coin???

mike

Sectional Density of a projectile is one of the factors that determines how well it will penetrate? The 6.5 bullet was long, heavy (relative to diameter) so it had a very high SD.

Ibc_PCI

That’s a great answer, and true, but it wasn’t what I was thinking of (KB may have thought so…). He shot smaller calibers for a variety of reasons, one of them being penetration because in every case he only shot only at the elephants brain 🧠.

Shooting a much lighter projectile means much less recoil, Which means much more accurate shooting. The little blurb above that I posted mentions the 7 mm also, almost everything I’ve read about the gentleman above says that he used the 6.5 almost exclusively.

He just shot the elephants in the brain, if you’re going for brain shots, it doesn’t make sense to use a big fat projectile. If you’re going for heart shots on the other hand, On a big old beast, you need a big old fat bullet.

at the time no one else was shooting elephants like this, and no one else has ever done it since (Leaving room for some exceptions).

So what’s my point, A thin high velocity projectile is going to punch through to the brain much better than a big fat heavy slow one. It’s also, as I mentioned above much easier to shoot.

I think that a 25 caliber, at high velocity, would perform much better shooting down on hogs through the brain 🧠.

Charging grizzly, do you want a 458 Winchester Magnum, or 6.5 Swede?

Charging raccoon, do you want a 30 caliber, or 25?

mike

mike

Flintlock, I agree, the result of this test was predetermined. Watching the video again, the .30 appears to transfer more energy in the first half-inch and would still be my choice if penetration was adequate for the job. I've seen the results of bullets zipping through a deer with too much energy, and they hardly even notice they are dead.

If things are equal, in a soft target, the .177, .25, .30 will equally penetrate to the same depth. Only when they are matched against a hard target will the foot-pounds of energy show as they punch through.

Regarding elephants with the 6.5, bullet failure was a constant problem in those days with jacket core separation. This was especially true in large straight-walled bullets (think of the failures of the 30-30). Using military fmj munitions designed for penetrating would undoubtedly have been welcomed. 

From my perspective, the heavier .25 with the added power to push it can retain energy longer. This is the same principle J. D. Jones applied to his whisper rounds for subsonic purposes.

Wait a minute you're using similar fpe on a smaller lighter domed pellet, yeah of course it's going to have deeper penetration.

Same power level smaller lighter pellet..

For a more precise test pellet / slug need to weigh the same, not 10 grains difference.

Seems the best comparison would be the AVERAGE weight for each caliber, not setting the weights "equal".

Another poster-"If things are equal, in a soft target, the .177, .25, .30 will equally penetrate to the same depth."

Don't think so.

Interesting thread.

Is the .30-06 more deadlier than the .257weatherby?

well it depends doesn’t it?

Caliber and power has something to say. I know I know…shotplacement first of all. But imagine hitting a deer perfectly with a .22lr it will die but in the next county or the next county again. Hit the same deer with a not so perfect shot with a .405w or .378wea..I”ll bet it won’t walk that fare.

shorplacement is always the most important thing, but it still does depends on what hammer you hit with.