• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

(Part 2) Does this barrel crown look ok to you?

well,the barrel went from this.......

20220929_123516.jpg

It’s a recipient of the head-to-toe treatment so it will be interesting to see how it fares.

1. Deburred barrel port.
2. Poured a cast lap and worked the bore into uniformity.
3. Smoothed the leade and transition into the rifling.
4. Chopped off the bad portion. Faced off in the lathe.
5. Lightly polished the bore with J-B (already smoothed by lapping).
6. Crowned.

A couple pictures of the cast lap:
96D33FB8-8E66-485E-89DF-D84747862D58.jpeg
2F2A65FC-D901-4D56-8AA1-EE20BA71AE48.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a recipient of the head-to-toe treatment so it will be interesting to see how it fares.

1. Deburred barrel port.
2. Poured a cast lap and worked the bore into uniformity.
3. Smoothed the leade and transition into the rifling.
4. Chopped off the bad portion. Faced off in the lathe.
5. Lightly polished the bore with J-B (already smoothed by lapping).
6. Crowned.View attachment 295435View attachment 295436
Just curious if you polished it with JB, what did you use to do the lapping with?

wow, all i have ever used on cleaning up a crown (.22) or rebuilding one,
is a 4" long 10/32 screw (from a toggle bolt) with an acorn nut on the threaded end snugged down.
then apply napa's valve lapping compound to the head of the acorn nut and start dress'n up the exit hole.......
different calibers require different screw and nut sizes :sneaky:

Last edited:
The dial indicator showed the bore about 14 thousandths out of concentricity with the OD. It looks more significant due to the muzzle threading.

I'm really happy that it got sorted out. I am working on a few barrels tomorrow as well as a couple of mine.

The "new" chaser has a crap barrel and shears off a ring of lead from the skirt when loading. The crown isn't great either.