Parallel to bore laser as holdover aid

If this shouldn't be on this page, I can remove but thought some here might find it helpful or at least moderately interesting.

I've mentioned laser parallel to the bore as a close range holdover aid a few times in this forum. Mine is mounted on the left side of the barrel. The PARD is sighted in for 17 yards. Bore is 3-1/8" below line of sight through the scope. Between 0 & 17 yards I simply note where the laser dot is in relation to the reticle and use that as the holdover. It is quick, easy & effective.

LRF is on in the video as I transition through the targets. You can see that reading in the top left section of the frame.

Last edited:
You can use a LASER in conjunction with your mil dots to measure range very accurately. This one is set up so that the LASER and zero are coincident with the top of the trajectory to keep the graph easy to read. You can range directly from the graph.

Two mills below LOS (magenta) on the LASER (blue) is at 95 yards, etc. Where the POI (green) is -13 mils. and remaining energy is about 50% of muzzle energy.

One mil below LOS on the LASER is at about 63 yards where the POI is about -3.5 mils.... etc.

Never have understood why Hawke didn't go commercial with Chairgun.

laser-ranging.jpg

Last edited:
@OldSpook The parallel to bore laser in my setup is meant for short range compensation. The laser mirrors the pellets 3-1/8" climb to meet the line of sight @ 17 yards (my first zero). While it works somewhat for longer distances, it is not necessary with my trajectory which is slightly above the aimpoint from 25-48 yards before returning to zero again at 55 yards. For 25-48 yards, I can put the crosshairs on the wingjoint and have the fourth hashmark (impact point) remain on a birds noggin.

For me and some others, we find holdovers at very close range difficult as that is where the reticle and actual pellet impact are converging most drastically. It works very well on close in raccoon/possum brains through a traditional scope. After going back to the PARD 008LRF, I thought it was a good opportunity to demonstrate through video that which I have some difficulty articulating.

@RScott I can see how bracketing a toad between two lasers would be effective. Sounds like a fun time on a really nasty invasive species. Florida seems to have more than its share of nasty invasives.

@OldSpook The parallel to bore laser in my setup is meant for short range compensation. The laser mirrors the pellets 3-1/8" climb to meet the line of sight @ 17 yards (my first zero). While it works somewhat for longer distances, it is not necessary with my trajectory which is slightly above the aimpoint from 25-48 yards before returning to zero again at 55 yards. For 25-48 yards, I can put the crosshairs on the wingjoint and have the fourth hashmark (impact point) remain on a birds noggin.
The setup I show does both a ranging function and hold under at short range... Because It also tracks the pellets rise to the first zero.

Not suggesting it is better just offering an alternative to others.

Last edited:
If this shouldn't be on this page, I can remove but thought some here might find it helpful or at least moderately interesting.

I've mentioned laser parallel to the bore as a close range holdover aid a few times in this forum. Mine is mounted on the left side of the barrel. The PARD is sighted in for 17 yards. Bore is 3-1/8" below line of sight through the scope. Between 0 & 17 yards I simply note where the laser dot is in relation to the reticle and use that as the holdover. It is quick, easy & effective.

LRF is on in the video as I transition through the targets. You can see that reading in the top left section of the frame.

Wow!!! This is way better than my system! Because it is exact! With my set up I am still estimating the middle of the two points

Great fun!
I use 2 lasers, one on each side of the barrel, for dispatching cane toads at night from 5 to 20 yards with a 2240 CO2 carbine. They are set parallel to the bore so the distance between the lasers is always constant at any aim distance.

2 lasers are for amateurs, I only roll with 3 lasers……
1669776966804.gif