Parallax Wheels - pictures of "the spread"

Plus our eyes change so redoing a wheel when you redo your glasses is advisable if you shoot with glasses
Worse... I hate to wear glasses during day, putting them on in front of PC, or when I have something in my hands and not recognizing what it is exactly :) ...
During range time it is very awkward, remove the safety glasses put on reading glasses only to see what a heck Im doin, remove the reading and putting back safety on, and I can go for a shot.
This is why I don;t have handguns but shot a rifle with a scope only, tuning it w/o glasses and ranging w/o glasses.

Here's the 10-55 on two different scopes and their wheels.
Falcon X50, 10 is @ the 8.5" mark, and 55 is at 3.75." So 10-55 uses about 300 ish degrees. (yardage marks at 50x)
PXL_20231201_233542530.jpg

And Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x. 10yards @ 8.5" and 55 yards at 3 and 1/8". 10-55 only uses about 180 degrees of rotation here. (yardage marks @ 24x, every single mark shifts down about 1/4" when at 16x).
PXL_20231201_232254185.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I‘m a little annual and some of my tape colors have to match my gun 🙂 these 3 wheels are all from JD and they are nautilus wheels and all on Athlon scopes. The silver wheel is from scope-werks and is a nautilus, the pistol wheel I printed myself on a Sightron . I hand do my tapes then transfer the dimensions on a program for scope-werks and it prints out real nice. The cool thing about the program, you can save all the tape dimensions and alter them when things change.

View attachment 410013

View attachment 410014

View attachment 410015
Very nice can you name your scope”s”

Here's the 10-55 on two different scopes and their wheels.
Falcon X50, 10 is @ the 8.5" mark, and 55 is at 3.75." So 10-55 uses about 300 ish degrees. (yardage marks at 50x)
View attachment 411459

And Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x. 10yards @ 8.5" and 55 yards and 1 and 1/8". 10-55 only uses about 180 degrees of rotation here. (yardage marks @ 24x, every single mark shifts down about 1/4" when at 16x).
View attachment 411460
Great info

Here's some of the distances I've completed so far on my new Falcon X505-FT scope. I'm liking the spacing from 45-55 yards.
I still need to get back to it and fill in the rest of the distances. Weather permitting this time of year.
It'll be interesting to see how many single yards I can fill in between the major marks I have on the wheel in the pictures.
I'll update when I get it done.
And.....Thanks JD!......Great job on the new aluminum magnetic wheel!

Falcon wheel 1.jpg
Falcon wheel 2.jpg

Here's some of the distances I've completed so far on my new Falcon X505-FT scope. I'm liking the spacing from 45-55 yards.
I still need to get back to it and fill in the rest of the distances. Weather permitting this time of year.
It'll be interesting to see how many single yards I can fill in between the major marks I have on the wheel in the pictures.

View attachment 416241 View attachment 416242
Do you range at 16x? Is the loss of the "snap-in" (that the X503 provided but not as much with the X505) a problem at 16x?
And have you found the ranging repeatable, i.e., a 53 yard target shows up as 53 each time you range it.
Regards.

Reactions: cavedweller
Well, so far I've had the scope out a whopping 1 time so I can't answer your questions very well.....yet.
As I get out more with this scope and gain experience with it I may be able to help a little more.
If you need faster/better answers I believe that Cameron Kerndt has experience with this scope in actual competition so maybe you could PM him?
Or, here's a link to the Falcon website with a great description of this scope: https://www.falconoptics.com/x50-revised-parallax-cam-design

I shoot Hunter class so I was doing my ranging at 16X.
It's a SFP scope so I believe if I were to do my ranging at a different power things would change when I went back to 16X.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and I have no problem with that. That's how I learn something new every day.

I've only used an X503 one time a couple years ago so I can't answer the "snap-in" question either, but I have read that this scope does not "snap-in" like the X503 because of the changes they've made. If I can find that discussion again I'll revisit this.

At closer ranges, <30 yds, so far I have found that this scope is very repeatable an you're either in focus or not. I haven't had to second guess it.

Sorry for getting off topic from parallax wheels. If you are not shooting long distance, (where you are adjusting the rings a lot) you do not need adjustable rings. They introduce yet another place for accuracy issues to arise. The shooting that you do pretty much under 100 yards, I would stick with fixed rings. They would most likely be more consistent for repeatability (fewer adjustments that can move on you) and if you want to have optically centered, you can shim the rear or front ring with 35mm film negatives to achieve optical centering. Good luck!
Thx
Dan

thats a great spread from 40-55 yards.... wow! But after looking at the reticle... why the heck couldn't they simply number each line or every other line. Arghhh.

Reactions: RScott
As I was browsing through the Falcon website I came across this little bit of information:

View attachment 416402

View attachment 416409

So........I guess I'll be double checking how close to being optically centered the scope is and if it's very far out of whack, I'll pick up a set of adjustable rings for this and change them out before getting too far down the road with this.
recommend eagle vision 30 MM inf adjustable side mounts.

I have the Falcon X50T (target), mounted on Impact MK2 with eaglevision adjustable rings about 1mm higher at the rear.
I zeroed @ 50 meters for shooting 22LR range silhouettes and 100 meters BR.
For next year I am planning to jump to 200 meters BR range and I will rezero @ 100.
The X50T has the focusing travels well defined up to 100, and definitely there is a lot of rotation between 30 to 50.
At the time I got a scope (2020 I guess) there were two versions, the X50 T and X50 FT, I don't know what would be a difference between, but I know for sure the X50 T is a long range scope rated up to 1000 vs FieldTarget which I would expect more precise measuring at shorter ranges.

I have the Falcon X50T (target), mounted on Impact MK2 with eaglevision adjustable rings about 1mm higher at the rear.
I zeroed @ 50 meters for shooting 22LR range silhouettes and 100 meters BR.
For next year I am planning to jump to 200 meters BR range and I will rezero @ 100.
The X50T has the focusing travels well defined up to 100, and definitely there is a lot of rotation between 30 to 50.
At the time I got a scope (2020 I guess) there were two versions, the X50 T and X50 FT, I don't know what would be a difference between, but I know for sure the X50 T is a long range scope rated up to 1000 vs FieldTarget which I would expect more precise measuring at shorter ranges.
I've used the falcon X50 ft version a while, good for up to 300 meters, mine is mainly used for field target, gaps on the wheel for ranges not so big at the longer distances.

Reactions: bigHUN
I haven't used a wheel to range in field target matches, but thought this may interest someone here because of the super low 5 yard parallax adjustment and the amount of degrees in between the lower yardages. Here's a look at the DiscoveryOpt 2-12X24 SFIR FFP parallax wheel. In the picture, it is set on 10 and shows 90° to the 25, but the 5 is more than 90° away from the 10. It gets noticably tighter as it goes to the 50, 100, etc, (so a curved wheel is probably appropriate to spread out the longer ranges?). I've read where two yardage tapes are used based on temp and sunlight, so wouldn't a shorter scope like this without a big objective lense be less susceptible to clouds/heat/sun effecting your accuracy?

Screenshot_20240226-014207.png

I haven't used a wheel to range in field target matches, but thought this may interest someone here because of the super low 5 yard parallax adjustment and the amount of degrees in between the lower yardages. Here's a look at the DiscoveryOpt 2-12X24 SFIR FFP parallax wheel. In the picture, it is set on 10 and shows 90° to the 25, but the 5 is more than 90° away from the 10. It gets noticably tighter as it goes to the 50, 100, etc, (so a curved wheel is probably appropriate to spread out the longer ranges?). I've read where two yardage tapes are used based on temp and sunlight, so wouldn't a shorter scope like this without a big objective lense be less susceptible to clouds/heat/sun effecting your accuracy?

View attachment 439492
looks like it would work for Pistol HFT as 12X is max magnification.
Rifle HFT 16x is needed (or desired).
$175.00 is a good price point: https://www.discoveryriflescopes.co...-etched-575g-24-4cm-shooting-hunting-army-use

Last edited:

that is a great spread between 50-55! wow.