Parallax Wheels - pictures of "the spread"

I thought it would be interesting to see pictures of different Ranging Wheels and how the focal point numbers spread out on the wheel, or don't when using 16X. The idea of this thread is to demonstrate which scopes range better or at least allow for more travel while using the parallax knob to determine distances. It would seem the greater spread in numbers would translate to more detailed focal points. Ideally you would take pics of your wheel showing the spread from 9-65 yards - approximate - and perhaps the size of your wheel because we know a bigger diameter wheel does help to spread the numbers out a bit. This should be interesting. We may learn that a couple of specific scope models/wheels do a better job of spreading out the numbers. Outside temp for this ranging setup was 64 degrees F.

First off on this thread is my JD Custom Nautilus wheel mounted and range marked using my Athlon HERAS SPR 6-24x56 FFP Mil scope.
IMG_6725.jpeg
IMG_6724.jpeg

I only use OEM 3" and 4" wheels. I slice metric tapes to match the width of my wheels and glue them on. My dope sheets have 3 columns; the yardages and hold overs I am interested in knowing and the corresponding numerical readings on the tapes for each. Here are two examples of 3" wheels. As long as my eyes can still see the tiny markings on the tape these work for me.

image1 (3).jpeg

image0 (51).jpeg

Last edited:
I only use OEM 3" and 4" wheels. I slice a metric tape to match the width of my wheel and glue it on. My dope sheet has 3 columns; the yardages and hold overs I am interested in knowing and the corresponding numerical readings on the tape. yardages. Here are two examples of 3" wheels. As long as my eyes can still see the tiny markings on the tape these work for me.

View attachment 405880

View attachment 405881
Well, i like your setup and I was going to try it on a scope, but, i now realize that for this thread to give the information i want, i need numbers marked in yardage to create common reference points.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
That trick what I used back in time I was competing archery Field. My sight were sighted in metric and the mm sight tapes for up/downhill and short distance shots only I could understand :)
LOL..Similar experience! I'd just set the adjustable sight pointer hot or cold by 2-3 yards. Worked even better for unmarked 3D shoots. Oh, the cursing..as an expensive carbon or ACE arrow skipped off the back of a McKenzie target into the underbrush.. :ROFLMAO:

I bought the main part of my wheel from a guy on eBay. Just told him what diameter hole I needed. The outer part was the outside part of a plastic lid from a small container that I had in my shop. I used a band saw to cut out the top of the lid out and sanded down the threads on the inside. Then fastened it to the 3D printed one I got from eBay, so that my 50 yard would be the furthest away from center. I left my yardage tape on the main part so I could do this. After I got my new tape done and I went to take the old tape off, and it dawned on me that I could have two tapes for two different temps just in case of this so called scope shift. 😁

IMG_6331.jpeg

This wheel I put down arrows on to try and be consintent in my ranging.

IMG_6698.jpeg

Last edited:
Please excuse my dumb question but I am trying to understand this numbering accuracy on the wheel. On my Hawke SF I can focus the target down to about 4 to 8 yards before the focus changes, That doesn't seem all that accurate for the exact distance to the target to me so what am I missing? Thanks
Not dumb - just a different application here.
Very few scope manufacturers actually calibrate the parallax wheel to the actual numbers they mark. In field targeting we use the parallax knob focus feature to determine distance; we do this by pre marking our wheels using known distances from 9-60 yards and marking the wheels every yard. Everyone’s eyes are different so the markings will vary, that said, some scopes separate distance focal points better, the best scopes spread the numbers spacing out - come shoot field target and it will make more sense.
After we mark our wheels we then take actual shots to create dope charts for precise accuracy 🥊

Perhaps it is to confuse competitors, but. what we really want to SEE, in this thread, is pictures which demonstrate which scopes range or focus clearly in such a way as to SPREAD out the numbers the most.
I would think the spread has to do with the diameter of the wheel. Or the distance from the center axis of the scope parallax knob to the surface where the tape is mounted..in the case of offset or odd shaped “wheels”.

Last edited: