• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Parallax wheel tape - create your own

Parallax Wheel Tape
This is the collaborative work of oaks1450 and jdh2550. We understand that this may not be the best method for everyone but wanted to share the process with anyone looking for an alternative to handwritten tapes and stickers. This method allows for easy replacement and quick alterations based on shooting preferences. This method may work for elevation and windage turrets as well.

To complete this project, you will need the following items:
Masking tape, clear tape, fine tipped pen (I like a fine tipped Sharpie), 8 ½ x 11 paper, a ruler or other measuring device, iPhone, Print to Size app ($2.99 for iOS, there may be free options, but I could not find anything I liked), and a printer with paper or adhesive full sheet label paper.

Helpful hints:
Be as accurate as possible. Garbage in, garbage out. Pinch and zoom to ensure your marks are as accurate as possible. Take your time. The first one you create will be the most difficult. After you create a few of these, you can complete this whole process in a few minutes. Experiment with various colors to find what you like. It’s a good idea to print an extra to have, just in case. It helps to save the picture and “duplicate” it so all your work is not lost if you make a big error. Once a tape is printed you may find there are open areas on your tape to add additional yardage marks based upon your needs. Clear tape over the finished product will help keep it looking good for a long time.

Process:

Step 1:
Apply one piece of masking tape to your parallax wheel. Use a single piece of tape and cover the entire portion of the wheel that is used for ranging.

Step 2: Mark a spot on your parallax wheel and the tape (we will call this mark “A”) to use as a reference later. It does not matter where this mark is, but I prefer to mark my 10-yard mark. This is the shortest distance my scope will range and is a very distinct position on my scope. Just be sure that the wheel AND the tape are marked. My parallax wheel is 3D printed, so I took a sharp knife and scored the wheel with the blade.

Step 3: Range your scope and mark your distances. Take your time and be sure your marks are exactly where you want them.

1696208506434.png

Step 4: Remove your scope tape and apply it to a sheet of paper. Using a ruler and starting with mark A, measure a known distance and mark B. The longer the distance the better. I generally measure out 9 inches.

Step 5: Using an iPhone take a good picture of the sheet of paper. Go to your photo in the gallery and select Edit, choose the pen tip, click the plus button (bottom right). Select the box and create a rectangle beside your scope tape. I try to make it the same width and length as the masking tape. Click the fill button then fill white.

1696208506464.png

Step 6: Select the ruler at the bottom of the page. Use two fingers on the ruler to move it around. Select the pen and use the thin line (left) with the darkness slider all the way to the right. Transfer all your yardage marks onto the white box. You can pinch and zoom to transfer the exact location of these marks onto the white rectangle you created.

1696208506487.png

Step 7: Transfer A & B – It is important to transfer mark A & B onto your white rectangle. Do this as accurately as possible.

Step 8: Cleanup - After all yardage marks are transferred, turn the ruler to 90 degrees and cover the portion of yardage marks you want to keep on the white rectangle. Using the eraser, erase the excess. Note – lay the ruler over the marks you want to keep and erase the rest.

1696208506506.png

Step 9: Adding numbers – Now you have a choice. Do you want yardage marks or do you want holdover marks. The choice is yours; each has its pro’s and con’s. For setup we will use yardage. Click the plus (bottom right) and then “text”. Position the box and type your yardage. Note – font size can be adjusted by selecting the “aA” button on the bottom left. You can also select font color to your liking. Type all yardages. Save this image to your iPhone gallery.

Step 10: Printing to size – Open Print to Size app and click the plus button. Select your edited photograph, Crop the top of the image to cut through line B (created in step 4). Crop the bottom of the photograph to cut through line A. A measurement will be displayed in the center of the image. We are only worried about height. If you measured 9 inches from A to B, you want to get to exactly ## x 9.00” to be displayed. You may crop the sides in to just the white box you created but it is not necessary.

1696208506523.png

Step 11: Print – Send your image to the printer and cut the new tape you created. Apply it to your parallax wheel by lining up “A” on the tape to the mark or score line on your parallax wheel. ENJOY!

Both contributors hope that you find this information useful. If it works for you, please consider helping a friend create a parallax wheel tape. If you find a tip or trick that will help others, please post it. We would like to see your creations.

Last edited:
I would like to add that I found more precise ranging setting my distances at night. The darker the better, use a light on your ranging object. I found this to work very well using a colored box with white types of different sizes. I just keep moving the box to each yard I want on my wheel. I use 1-yard increments out to 25 and 5-yard increments thereafter. Hope this helps. Remember it is therapeutic to shoot S**T.!!!!!

If you are lucky enough to own an Android, I think your best option is to buy ScopeKnob. Similar process, but instead of creating an image on your phone (I couldn't figure out how to make a rectangle or ruler on mine) you measure the lines and put the values in ScopeKnob and print your tape. You can also do turret tapes in ScopeKnob.

Or I guess you could take a photo of your masking tape, upload it to your computer and do the magic there. Many years ago I decided that my time was worth the $25 that they want for ScopeKnob and I haven't regretted it.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Scopeknob, a set of dial calipers, double sided tape and a sheet of printer paper. Put paper on wheel with two sided tape at 3 places. I make where 30 yards is on wheel so you can line up new tape. Mark each distance. Carefully remove paper. Measure distances with dial calipers and enter in Scopeknob. Print out a professional looking tape in your color choices. Save tape in Scopeknob for next time or make slight changes and just print a new tape. Don

Reactions: scotton
Scopeknob, a set of dial calipers, double sided tape and a sheet of printer paper. Put paper on wheel with two sided tape at 3 places. I make where 30 yards is on wheel so you can line up new tape. Mark each distance. Carefully remove paper. Measure distances with dial calipers and enter in Scopeknob. Print out a professional looking tape in your color choices. Save tape in Scopeknob for next time or make slight changes and just print a new tape. Don
What is this Scopeknob ? I just tried to look for it in the App Store and nothing came up. Where do you get it?

Couple of tips about Scopeknob (these will make sense when you use it the first time):
Don't start measuring your marks from the 10 yard mark, set a baseline mark further down the tape. If you set the 10 yard mark as 0", it won't print well due to margins.
Make sure you print landscape. And if you have a big wheel, you probably want to print legal, not letter.
If printing a turret, the turret diameter is easy to get a little wrong. Print a ruler first, with marks for every 5 clicks. Use the turret ruler to adjust the turret diameter in the software so your clicks line up.

And a general tip for setting up a wheel: make sure you use the magnification that you will use during competition. In other words, don't set up a hunter class scope at 24X, set it up at 16x.

Reactions: dgeesaman
And a general tip for setting up a wheel: make sure you use the magnification that you will use during competition. In other words, don't set up a hunter class scope at 24X, set it up at 16x.
My experience setting up parallax wheels has been that each scope is different. You have to determine IF you can use full power to mark your wheel. I start with the scope set on full power and make a couple marks for a few targets set at longer distances (40, 50, 55 yds. Then back the power down to 16X and verify that the focus comes back to the same marks. If the mark doesn't line up at 16X, then you must complete all your ranging at 16X (for Hunter FT).
My Sightron is good ranging at any power, while my Element was not.
It's just easier to range at high power IF your scope is consistent. But you must verify that.

Thanks for the instructions jdh2550 !

I can simplify this process even more.... buy some self adhesive pvc measuring tape from vendor of choice... i use amazon. For $12.00 bucks i can get 4 LONG tapes.
Cut the tape to the width or your wheel and the length necessary for your wheel.
Then Do your ranging and wheel set up as normal
EXCEPT
that you will mark your DOPE or ranging distances or holdover points in inches or Millimeters.
In a Way its more accurate, esp if a range is set up in creepy off distances, and it drives people nuts if they are trying to see what YOU ranged a target at.

I can simplify this process even more.... buy some self adhesive pvc measuring tape from vendor of choice... i use amazon. For $12.00 bucks i can get 4 LONG tapes.
Cut the tape to the width or your wheel and the length necessary for your wheel.
Then Do your ranging and wheel set up as normal
EXCEPT
that you will mark your DOPE or ranging distances or holdover points in inches or Millimeters.
In a Way its more accurate, esp if a range is set up in creepy off distances, and it drives people nuts if they are trying to see what YOU ranged a target at.
I like to list my holdover rather than yardage for this reason.

Reactions: cavedweller