• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Parallax and focusing scope differences

most of my better scopes are all rated for parallax free, down to a certain yardage, below that yardage they are blurry, not clear

but from the advertised parallax minimum out to infinity they are clear as a bell,

its only when I want to shoot 10 to 50 yards it seems I need a scope that adjusts for parallax 

most manufacturers state in the scope specs that a scope is parallax free down to a certain yardage, rules out a lot of scopes if you want a 

clear picture at 20 yards

First off the ring next to your eye,diopter ring is to focus for your eye,.the AO is to focus on target=paralllax is set for a given distance....and the diopter set for your eyesight.

Many non AO scopes are set for a given distance...they are usually 50-100yds...even if they are perfect does not mean you will be able to see target good...unless you adjust the diopter ring to your eyes.......

I think I understand Lenny's question to mean this:

"If a scope image is completely sharp/ in focus — is it possible that there is still some parallax error left (that would require to adjust the focus/parallax a little)?"

Lenny, please confirm — or explain a bit more.
1f60a.svg

Matthias

My apologies for the ambiguity, but yes this is what I mean.

For example if 2 different persons used a scope and dialed in the focus as best as they could, is it possible that say the yardage marking would be different as well as if any difference in parallax if another person were to use the scope and move their eye around.

The better quality upper end scopes are more critical and need to get the parallax adjustment perfect for the sharpest image.

Sloppy or cheaper quality scopes don't need perfect parallax adjustment. 

I recall reading these may be better for hunting situations where the parallax dial don't need to constantly be fiddled with and image stays clear with great eye box forgiveness. You set it then the next guy probably dont need to adjust any thing. Such as this one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/19011763482

Many members swear by them. I was shocked for how nice being so inexpensive.

May not be good for range finding because image stays clear with little parallax adjustment needed.

I have noticed this issue as well on some AO scopes being perfectly focused but still have discernible Parallax, the diopter adjustment is for the crosshairs focus I have clear crosshairs clear target but noticeable parallax. I believe this is a scope quality issue and those people who do not understand your question probably have better scopes. I have not found any way to solve this yet. Until I can afford a better scope I do my best to get repeatable eye placement, cheek weld. Adjustable recoil pads and cheek risers help eye placement.