American Air Arms Paradigm Slug testing

Wanted to share a journey I have been taking this past week. I have been getting my American Air Arms Paradigm set up to sling some slugs. Have quite a few to choose from so decided to hammer down and figure out what would work. With some feed back from Tom I was able to narrow down the field quite a bit.

1700182464687.png

The set up was as it looks above, a basic plastic table with the rifle and chronograph. I tested a bunch of different Javelin slugs in both .216 and .217, NSA slugs in .216 .217 and .217, Zan slugs, Daystate Howlers, H&N .217 slugs, and Knockout slugs. Also did a few baseline shots with the FX 18.1 pellets as well as the 25.4 pellets so people can approximately get a close set point. All of the shots were 5 shot groups with the regulator set at approximately 2200 psi. You will see on the page with the chronograph numbers that there is a circle with lines on it. What these are showing is the position of the hammer spring adjustment screw. I removed the stock from and put a mark at the 6 o'clock position.

These are the targets that I shot on Monday to see what the slugs would do. I had my chronograph to see if there was anything odd about the shots. Just wanted to see if there was anything that stood out. There were a few that showed promise and today I wanted to get some solid number and do some minor adjustments.

1700183067696.png

1700183101445.png

Again all shots are with the Regulator, the blue one, set at approximately 2200 psi, shot at a range of around 20 yards. Next week I am planning on hitting the range again and doing some grouping at 50 yards, 75 yards and 100 yards to really see if I can get a slug to perform well enough to hunt with as well as use for my local NRL22 matches.

I am using some 10m targets for the tests to keep things together and to see any kind of movement of groups. In the upper left hand corner you will see and "A" and a "B" these will correspond with the chronograph number page. The targets themselves are numbered 1 through 10 with 2 sighters in the middle. Now I messed up and numbered the sighters on card "A", so those numbers are written in blue marker. On target sheet "B" I remembered the sighters the chronograph page has SS1 and SS2, for sighter spot 1 and sighter spot 2.

Here are the target pages that were shot at 20 yards. All groups are 5 shot groups, the only one that was different was the seventh bull. I was getting slugs stuck in the barrel with the NSA slugs so I stopped shooting them at that point. Chronograph page will be under each target sheet to help keep track of things and to see what is going on. The circled numbers on the target sheet are the slugs that were showing promise and ones that I wanted to test further.

20231116_162802.jpg

20231116_162858.jpg

20231116_162819.jpg

20231116_162908.jpg

The chronograph sheet above you will see the circles with the lines on them, this is the hammer spring adjustment location. This will allow me to fine tune the rifle if needed and get a repeatable setting. I would LOVE to see this on any of the rifles coming out. Makes resetting the rifle and sharing tunes with others really easy.

Like I said I am planning on shooting more to see exactly what the gun will like, and I will take you guys along with for all the fun. One good thing as well is I have a loal shooting buddy that has a corbin swaging press and has offered to make me what ever weight slugs I need. So I should be able to get what ever weight and based slug that I want to try.

Any questions just ask guys!

That seems like a too nice of a Rifle for NRL22, that's awesome! How do you like your Tract Scope?
For me a rifle is meant to be shot and used. I do have an Arca rail along the bottom of the stock to protect it. This rifle is cheaper than the rifle I built for the NRL game ;)

The Tract scope I really like. It is nice and clear and tracks perfectly. The only thing I wish it did was focus down lower than 25 yards.

Reactions: Str8tshooter