• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Panthera valve pin.???

I'm just curious here and trying to understand why someone would want to shoot their expensive airgun at the absolute maximum power settings?

OK. If you're in a competitive situation where there's money on the line then risking damage to the airgun is justified. See that.

But for recreational use? That would be like running the family car on nitrous oxide - yeah, major power ...while it lasts.

So a fully tricked-out .22/700 Panthera can make 96 ft/lbs with 40 gr slug at 1040 fps. A holy grail? Bragging rights? IF you really NEED that level of power wouldn't it be better to buy a .25 or a .30 and run it at reasonable pressures?

Considering that up until recently, .22 caliber PCPs would typically do 30-33 fpe, I'm ecstatic that my .22/700 Panthera - straight out of the box with the factory tune (reg 130, micro 2.5, macro 13) - is shooting 30 g H&N slugs at 991 fps and producing over 65 fpe. But then, I tune for accuracy, not power so my thinking maybe be flawed and I shouldn't be so excited.

Don't know but 65 fpe is more than plenty of power for the small game and pests at the ranges I typically hunt at. Dead is dead and good shot placement does the job, don't need to vaporize my target.

Am I missing something? Can someone please explain why 96 fpe out of a .22 PCP is so important?

Thank you!

P.S. Hope your pin isn't bent!

Reactions: Dairyboy
I'm just curious here and trying to understand why someone would want to shoot their expensive airgun at the absolute maximum power settings?

OK. If you're in a competitive situation where there's money on the line then risking damage to the airgun is justified. See that.

But for recreational use? That would be like running the family car on nitrous oxide - yeah, major power ...while it lasts.

So a fully tricked-out .22/700 Panthera can make 96 ft/lbs with 40 gr slug at 1040 fps. A holy grail? Bragging rights? IF you really NEED that level of power wouldn't it be better to buy a .25 or a .30 and run it at reasonable pressures?

Considering that up until recently, .22 caliber PCPs would typically do 30-33 fpe, I'm ecstatic that my .22/700 Panthera - straight out of the box with the factory tune (reg 130, micro 2.5, macro 13) - is shooting 30 g H&N slugs at 991 fps and producing over 65 fpe. But then, I tune for accuracy, not power so my thinking maybe be flawed and I shouldn't be so excited.

Don't know but 65 fpe is more than plenty of power for the small game and pests at the ranges I typically hunt at. Dead is dead and good shot placement does the job, don't need to vaporize my target.

Am I missing something? Can someone please explain why 96 fpe out of a .22 PCP is so important?

Thank you!

The Panthera was introduced as a Heavy Slugger, my primary reason for the purchase. With my rimfires I shoot pretty much 40gr @ 1040 target ammo exclusively. The idea of being able to apply the same dope for the Panthera and my Rem 541T is pretty compelling..

Reactions: Vana2

But for recreational use? That would be like running the family car on nitrous oxide - yeah, major power ...while it lasts....

If some guys buy a Ferrari, they are not going to just pedal around town going 35mph, at some point, they are going to put the pedal down. That is to a point. For example, I've got the tungsten hammer, power block, 800mm barrel , etc on my 22 impact, but my reg is set at 155 and the heaviest I shoot is 31.2 grain at 1030fps. Can it shoot the 40 grain slugs at over 1000fps, sure. But I don't want the wear and tear on my rifle. As far as the Panthera is concerned, FX markets it for being built for higher pressures to shoot heavy slugs. FX has supposedly corrected the issue of bending pins on later runs. Not knowing what run my 30 cal came out of, I was nervous. I didn't crank the pressure up on mine until the huma block for the double bottle was on. Since that install, I've put a few hundred rounds of hybrids through my 30 cal Panthera with the reg at 170 and the heavier 8mm hammer. So far, so good. Shooting 44.5 grain hybrids like a laser beam with 90+ lbs of smackdown. No leaks.
If I plan on shooting pellets, and drop my reg below 165, The 8mm comes out and the 4mm goes in. The 4mm wouldn't budge the valve open once I went over 165 in reg pressure.

murica.jpg

Sorry, had to. Lol.

Last edited:
Bent mine, Utahairguns did the repair and it had a 3 day turnaround. The most extreme setting I had during tuning and learning the platform, was 180 bar with the macro and micro hammer maxed. It was sending 22 cal 40 gr javelins approximately 975 fps, I ended with a sweet spot of 172 bar macro maxed and micro at 4. That got me hovering in and out MOA at 300 yards and I was freaking thrilled, the consistency was amazing. Still not satisfied and wanting that advertised 40 gr going 1040 fps, I decided to install the tungsten hammer. Easy install, but the pin valve was already bent and the Panthera had the leak down the barrel when refilling. The rail mounting block does have the pocket milled for the pin valve travel, now I'm wondering if I should make it deeper as others have. For the time being with the tungsten, I've got 170 bar, macro 20, micro 3.75 with the 40 gr cruising at 980 fps. Waiting for more user data to see if need to drill the pocket deeper.
Glad you had luck with Utah air. That’s where I bought my rifle but after a couple months of not getting replies from their service department I finally called high pressure pneumatics and sent it there. Wish I would have bought from them in the first place with how good his customer service is.

Thank you!

I mean, if the rifle is advised to work on that power level and we pay the big money for it i dont think we are such an a**holes as we just want what we paid for.

Reactions: Vana2
I mean, if the rifle is advised to work on that power level and we pay the big money for it i dont think we are such an a**holes as we just want what we paid for.
True, but we don't always drive the family car at the maximum speed shown on the speedometer (don't we? ;) ).

I think of it as a trade-off: power vs service life and there's a balance point. You chose where you want to be.

Cheers!

True, but we don't always drive the family car at the maximum speed shown on the speedometer (don't we? ;) ).

I think of it as a trade-off: power vs service life and there's a balance point. You chose where you want to be.

Cheers!
Yeah, but the family car producers not making marketing based on the max speed of the car :D
I have never seen any advertisement like "here you can fit your 3 children with your wife and go 220kmph".
I dont think the Panthera is presented as the family car of airguns but more the ferrari of airguns.