Panthera valve pin.???

I'm hoping others chime in on this as well. I'm curious if those that experienced this were running the tungsten hammer weight. I know that FX in no longer recommending putting in the tungsten hammer. Turning the reg up super high to push heavy slugs combined with a heavy hammer is what I suspect.
BUT.... isn't that exactly what FX and all the youtubers were advertising this rifle was for?
I just bought the 500mm in 30 cal. Little spooked to push the reg up to the outer limits for this very reason.
I messaged FX on this forum with a link to a thread about the valve pin issue and I'll attach their response below.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 9.56.30 AM.png

If the hammer drives the valve stem flush, can it cause the valve spring to reach coil-bind? That's a great way to bend a valve stem.
Same here I have a 30 cal. 700mm. Set at 145 reg.the other thing at 3 and 3/4.that gives me shooting 54 zans at 1000 fps gun shoots smooth .still have to got to range have had to do adult stuff. But don't want to bend valve.

Shooter 1721 has a recent video shooting “his” .30 Panther 500mm “maxed out” with very high reg pressure and nothing negative was said…
FX, despite the post above, of course knows about the bent valve stem issue. Perhaps they’ve even taken care of if for recent guns from the assembly line….

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
In my case I didn’t run the tungsten. I had the reg at 150 then later 170. Barrel started to leak air that’s how I discovered the issue. Having hard time getting a replacement. In Europe fx doesn’t respond to retailers. One week now . Phones and email . No response . I’m living 4 hours drive from the fx factory.

Shooter 1721 has a recent video shooting “his” .30 Panther 500mm “maxed out” with very high reg pressure and nothing negative was said…
FX, despite the post above, of course knows about the bent valve stem issue. Perhaps they’ve even taken care of if for recent guns from the assembly line….
Saw that. He replied to a comment that his reg was set at 168, but if you look at this screenshot I grabbed, the reg is set much higher. Looks like it closer to 180? At that pressure he would surely have to be using the 8mm hammer weight and not the stock 4mm?
rick panthera 500mm tune.jpg

The pin protrudes from the front of the receiver when fired. That is why there is a recession in the part that holds the forend on. If you take that little block off you can make that hole deeper by 1.5-2 mm. Really quick and easy to do, but as for getting a new pin that may be hard. I would get ahold of Newman Buck over at 910 airgun tuning to see if he can't get you one.

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
Saw that. He replied to a comment that his reg was set at 168, but if you look at this screenshot I grabbed, the reg is set much higher. Looks like it closer to 180? At that pressure he would surely have to be using the 8mm hammer weight and not the stock 4mm?
View attachment 341769
Major error of parallax there...

You can't tell anything from that sideways pic! Have see the gauge from straight on.
Rick wouldn't say it was set at 168 if it wasn't!
And that gun was set up by Ernest so I'm sure it is up to snuff in every way!
I'm sitting here looking at the gauge on my panthera and at that angle I can tell he's DEFINITELY not at 168 and much higher.

The pin protrudes from the front of the receiver when fired. That is why there is a recession in the part that holds the forend on. If you take that little block off you can make that hole deeper by 1.5-2 mm. Really quick and easy to do, but as for getting a new pin that may be hard. I would get ahold of Newman Buck over at 910 airgun tuning to see if he can't get you one.
If you were to remove the forend to put a second bottle on, the valve pin issue would go away because the block would be gone, correct?

Correct, though it may be a good idea to keep that block there to help protect the valve pin.

I ordered from Huma today their "heavy duty" reinforced double bottle adapter. Pricy, but I think I would feel much more confident in this design. It looks as though it will offer protection to the valve pin.

huma db1.jpg
huma db2.jpg

Reactions: Nords
This was reported in an earlier thread where it was supposed that some early guns may not have had enough clearance for the back side of the valve pin to travel during valve operation and was getting jammed up with large compressive shock forces in the shank of the valve.

Bent mine, Utahairguns did the repair and it had a 3 day turnaround. The most extreme setting I had during tuning and learning the platform, was 180 bar with the macro and micro hammer maxed. It was sending 22 cal 40 gr javelins approximately 975 fps, I ended with a sweet spot of 172 bar macro maxed and micro at 4. That got me hovering in and out MOA at 300 yards and I was freaking thrilled, the consistency was amazing. Still not satisfied and wanting that advertised 40 gr going 1040 fps, I decided to install the tungsten hammer. Easy install, but the pin valve was already bent and the Panthera had the leak down the barrel when refilling. The rail mounting block does have the pocket milled for the pin valve travel, now I'm wondering if I should make it deeper as others have. For the time being with the tungsten, I've got 170 bar, macro 20, micro 3.75 with the 40 gr cruising at 980 fps. Waiting for more user data to see if need to drill the pocket deeper.

Reactions: Centercut
Bent mine, Utahairguns did the repair and it had a 3 day turnaround. The most extreme setting I had during tuning and learning the platform, was 180 bar with the macro and micro hammer maxed. It was sending 22 cal 40 gr javelins approximately 975 fps, I ended with a sweet spot of 172 bar macro maxed and micro at 4. That got me hovering in and out MOA at 300 yards and I was freaking thrilled, the consistency was amazing. Still not satisfied and wanting that advertised 40 gr going 1040 fps, I decided to install the tungsten hammer. Easy install, but the pin valve was already bent and the Panthera had the leak down the barrel when refilling. The rail mounting block does have the pocket milled for the pin valve travel, now I'm wondering if I should make it deeper as others have. For the time being with the tungsten, I've got 170 bar, macro 20, micro 3.75 with the 40 gr cruising at 980 fps. Waiting for more user data to see if need to drill the pocket deeper.
Just a friendly heads up. FX is no longer recommending installing the tungsten hammer weight in the Panthera. They say to just use the standard 4mm or 8mm hammer weight. I would show you the email from FX, but when I posted it on another thread the forum police deleted it because the message had a privacy statement in the email signature.

Reactions: Cloudrider
Just a friendly heads up. FX is no longer recommending installing the tungsten hammer weight in the Panthera. They say to just use the standard 4mm or 8mm hammer weight. I would show you the email from FX, but when I posted it on another thread the forum police deleted it because the message had a privacy statement in the email signature.
Appreciate the heads up, I was told the same by UtahAir when they shipped it back from service.
I've purposely have not maxed out the hammer settings, so far the tungsten hasn't bent the valve like the stock hammer did.
Putting the search for 40gr at 1040fps on hold, honestly really satisfied with the current configuration and tune.

I’m glad Utah Airgun was able to fix your Panthera . Here in Europe FX is not responding to my phone calls or mails . So I guess I’ll wait until someone gets the part in stock somewhere . Bagnall in uk was expecting this part in the near future. Cloudrider, your valve pin was already bent before you installed the hammer ?
Yes, it was bent while having the original stock hammer.