Altaros Panthera settings for Altaros slugs

So update post a range session.

And what a frustrating session it was.
Ran the Smooths and the Kings from 800-930 fps - they would literally one hole at 25m stack at 50, fall apart at 100( as in 4”) and then at 190m they would group 3”????? Wtf😂😂

Interestingly the Smooths and The Kings would be around 7tenths left or right of each others zero? Never seen that with any other slugs.
Stupidly I only had the 1:18 twist liner. Need to get the 1:16 but after 4 packs im not feeling super hopeful.

Pin probe
700mm 1:18
Reg started at 110 and ended at 140
You might try going back to the stock Pellet probe also. I was seeing some irregularities in my shot group and swapped back to the original.

Pin probe? Why?
I only have a theory.
When I tried the HUMA pin probe to push the slug into the chamber (or what the equivalent it is called in an Air Rifle) the slugs didn't feel like they were feeding squarely into the bore. The Stock FX Pellet probe, though more restrictive, has a square face to push against the base of the slug.

Reactions: weevil
I only have a theory.
When I tried the HUMA pin probe to push the slug into the chamber (or what the equivalent it is called in an Air Rifle) the slugs didn't feel like they were feeding squarely into the bore. The Stock FX Pellet probe, though more restrictive, has a square face to push against the base of the slug.
I agree for this type of longer, rounded side, tapered boat tail slug. The stock probe pushes the slug straight in and sits around the edge of the base of the slug perfectly. The slug is seated without the off chance of being slightly cocked as it can/could with a pin probe. And above where it says, "more restrictive", I would amend that to say slightly more restrictive.

I only have a theory.
I was asking why the OP installed a pin probe. I completely agree with you and Mike after also observing how the tail of those slugs perfectly keys into the pellet probe to provide consistent axial symmetry in loading. The boys at Altaros know a thing or two!

IMO, the pin probe craze was broadly detrimental to accuracy and is often also tied to snagging mags and cocking issues. It’s another fetish, as Mike would say, originated by YouTubers eeking out another 10-15fps in countries with caliber restrictions. Totally unnecessary for a Panthera, which is a powerhouse in stock form. Finally, why would FX, who’ve been selling pin probes for years, deliver their new “slug” platform with pellet probes. Maybe they know something too!

Reactions: Centercut
I'll get into it a little bit. the thing is that the dynamik and panthera are not exactly pellet probes, but a new probe created as universal, mainly for slugs. I made a sketch where I show the flow of air pressure passing into the barrel. it is drawn on a mobile phone 🙂 but it is clearly visible that the original probe is better for guiding the air in the right direction. whereas with the pin probe, pressure is exerted in all directions, which has a negative effect on the o-ring, which is on the side of the reservoir, and during the test I discovered this: if the o-ring is not 100%, the air pressure can escape here with the pin probe.

e6ce69a7-3a02-4507-803d-abaf2c9dec68.png

I'll get into it a little bit. the thing is that the dynamik and panthera are not exactly pellet probes, but a new probe created as universal, mainly for slugs. I made a sketch where I show the flow of air pressure passing into the barrel. it is drawn on a mobile phone 🙂 but it is clearly visible that the original probe is better for guiding the air in the right direction. whereas with the pin probe, pressure is exerted in all directions, which has a negative effect on the o-ring, which is on the side of the reservoir, and during the test I discovered this: if the o-ring is not 100%, the air pressure can escape here with the pin probe.

View attachment 415923
In the interest of semantics, I’ll be sure to refer to it in future as the “universal”

Reactions: Mcleod
Thanks guys - funny enough I was thinking along the same lines - my initial thoughts around the “slug” or pin probe was not for more velocity but rather improved efficiency. Allowing me to come back off the hammer a few notches and allow for less reg and hammer pressure looking for a more relaxed tune. But I must admit perhaps It has caused more issues than good.

I’ll be dropping the original back in. And will retry.
Going to set the reg at 130bar and start there.

Is anyone finding the Altaros seem to have powder/residue on them? Perhaps from machining or oxidation? Anyone bothering to clean them before loading?

Reactions: Mcleod
Post range update.
Original probe reinstalled, liner changed and it was stacking both the 32.3gr smooths and the 40gr kings at 50m,on metal it’s a single mark. I didn’t throw them through paper. At 100m a 2inch spinner was too easy, actually making one lazy. And 1inch was 9/10.

Keen to stretch the 40s out and see the long range performance.

Reactions: weevil and Mcleod
Post range update.
Original probe reinstalled, liner changed and it was stacking both the 32.3gr smooths and the 40gr kings at 50m,on metal it’s a single mark. I didn’t throw them through paper. At 100m a 2inch spinner was too easy, actually making one lazy. And 1inch was 9/10.

Outstanding!!

Reactions: pewpew_splat
Post range update.

What was your FPS?

What was your FPS?
900fps average over 35 shots.

It’s really stacking them there. I tried up to 950 and down to 850. 900 is THE speed for them from my setup.
The nice thing about this tune is I can drop the macro a few clicks and run redesigns for training or close up peering. Rifle feels like it’s at idle.

Thanks to each of your for your input!

900 ? Who would have thought ?
LOL
lol whoda thunk it right.
I setup to get them there based on everyone’s input so I’m not surprised at all.

Though oddly enough at 1000fps they shot the best 55yard group I have seen from a slug bar none. It was a literal 1 hole at 55. Not clover not ragged. Just 1 small hole. At 110 they were 4 inches though.

Either way it’ll be interesting to see how this tune plays out over time in terms of consistency and stability.

I setup to get them there based on everyone’s input so I’m not surprised at all.

Though oddly enough at 1000fps they shot the best 55yard group I have seen from a slug bar none. It was a literal 1 hole at 55. Not clover not ragged. Just 1 small hole. At 110 they were 4 inches though.

Either way it’ll be interesting to see how this tune plays out over time in terms of consistency and stability.
Good stuff! Clean the liner every 200. Interesting that you use a mix of metric and imperial. What’s the status of that in SA?

Yes, we used to hear that slugs weren’t accurate or as accurate as pellets at 50 yards. Here’s 6 shots windy conditions 50 yards Altaros 49.5 at 885 fps.
Accurate?

IMG_1776.jpeg

And 6 shots at 100 yards 5 minutes later

IMG_1777.jpeg

Good stuff! Clean the liner every 200. Interesting that you use a mix of metric and imperial. What’s the status of that in SA?
Weevil interestingly i shot close on 800 rounds with very limited degradation on accuracy. 3 tins of 25gr redesigns and 2 or so packs of the kings and smooths(these I don’t have dialled nearly as well but I did prioritise the 40s) no cleaning just switching between projectiles on the fly.

Had a quick session this morning, 350 meters 10/15 impacts in about 10km of wind. couldn’t make out the group size as I wasn’t prepared to head out there paint and then head back - was more a sense check oh the stability of the tune from one set of environmentals to another. Happy to say it took two round to get on plate with those two being very near misses.

Yes, we used to hear that slugs weren’t accurate or as accurate as pellets at 50 yards. Here’s 6 shots windy conditions 50 yards Altaros 49.5 at 885 fps.
Accurate?

View attachment 418246

And 6 shots at 100 yards 5 minutes later

View attachment 418247
I’d love to be able to run .25cal - I think from an efficiency perspective they make a lot of sense!

...Ran the Smooths and the Kings from 800-930 fps - they would literally one hole at 25m stack at 50, fall apart at 100( as in 4”) and then at 190m they would group 3”?????
I would speculate that is ssome sort of corkscrewing and depend where is your vertical zero...
25 and 50 could be your most Left (or R) and same frequency at 190, but the 100 is diagonally opposite.
??? Just pictorially trying to explain to myself