Altaros Panthera settings for Altaros slugs

Hi All!
Hope everyone is doing great!

I have seen @weevil posting some interesting results with the 32.5gr ATP Smooths.
I did some speed testing and was able to get these running 970fps with the reg at 125bar and the micro at 2.0
If I drop the hammer to 1.75 on the micro I’m sitting at 920fps

Is it worth while dropping the reg and the hammer lower? I haven’t had a chance to do accuracy tests at lower speeds, at 1000fps+ they are just not happy.

Running through a 1:18 twist liner in .22 cal

Last edited:
Many ways you can play with speeds, drop/raise in larger steps by 50, that will give you a ballpark. An/or go by steps of 5-10 and monitor the groups will start opening - then - closing - then - opening again, and sooner or later you will get the tightest group. And btw who gives a ra what Reg... the chrony/radar is where you need to focus the most. No magic formula to save $ on this game.

Reactions: trlrman
Hi All!
Hope everyone is doing great!

I have seen @weevil posting some interesting results with the 32.5gr ATP Smooths.
I did some speed testing and was able to get these running 970fps with the reg at 125bar and the micro at 2.0
If I drop the hammer to 1.75 on the micro I’m sitting at 920fps

Is it worth while dropping the reg and the hammer lower? I haven’t had a chance to do accuracy tests at lower speeds, at 1000fps+ they are just not happy.

Running through a 1:18 twist liner in .22 cal
Thats the BIGGEST reason you don't see many 'tubers shooting Altaros slugs. Most have a serious speed fetish, and just can't accept that certain slugs were designed for and shoot best at lower speeds...

I shoot the 49.5 grain ATP Smooth .25 caliber at 885 fps and they are ACCURATE out to over 300 yards. I have heard through others than MANY shooters have tried them, but try them at 975 to 1025 fps, and of course they aren't going to be accurate. Then they just give up and walk away from a 0.21 G1 BC... Say it with me one more time - Accuracy Trumps Speed!

For example, at the Oregon Long Range Challenge the end of April 2023, the first place shot .25 Altaros Smooth at 885 fps, and second place shot .22 Altaros 40 gr Kings at 860 fps. Things that make you go hmmm...

Thats the BIGGEST reason you don't see many 'tubers shooting Altaros slugs. Most have a serious speed fetish, and just can't accept that certain slugs were designed for and shoot best at lower speeds...

I shoot the 49.5 grain ATP Smooth .25 caliber at 885 fps and they are ACCURATE out to over 300 yards. I have heard through others than MANY shooters have tried them, but try them at 975 to 1025 fps, and of course they aren't going to be accurate. Then they just give up and walk away from a 0.21 G1 BC... Say it with me one more time - Accuracy Trumps Speed!

For example, at the Oregon Long Range Challenge the end of April 2023, the first place shot .25 Altaros Smooth at 885 fps, and second place shot .22 Altaros 40 gr Kings at 860 fps. Things that make you go hmmm...
I honestly couldn’t care less about speed, there’s less wind drift on most slugs shooting them slower so I’m quite happy to do just that.
The BC is what *really* grabbed my attention.

I picked up some .22 40gr kings and on the same 125bar setting and at 2 on the micro they running at 890 average. Once I get some time to do some group tests I’ll report back. Thanks @Centercut

Reactions: Centercut
I’m always careful to point out that I shoot them at 895fps. You should find the reg pressure that gives you the ability to tune them to 98% of max speed, providing a buffer for reg creep and refresh.
Thanks Weevil, I think with the longer barrel I may need to drop my reg another 10 bar or so to get into that bracket, need to get a few packs or the 32s so I can find the sweet spot from the 700mm

In a Walther 17.7 twist I'm running edit/32.3 Altaros Smooth at 885 fps in my Thomas HPX-S.

I haven't hardly shot them at 100Y but here is two 3 shot groups while confirming dope at 100Y.

20230317_110956.jpg

Last edited:
In a Walther 17.7 twist I'm running 32.5 Altaros Smooth at 885 fps in my Thomas HPX-S.

I haven't hardly shot them at 100Y but here is two 3 shot groups while confirming dope at 100Y.

View attachment 410455
Looks good Steve. The spread is all vertical, how does the SD look for that Thomas? Your variation is only vertical which looks like a speed difference and not a wind difference. How does that compare to the .25 V3 with 49.5 Smooth or 60 Queens?
You know the 32.3 Smooth come in 5.50 and 5.52? Does the gun have enough power to shoot the 40 grain Kings?
Also, what is your reasoning for shooting the Queens (60g) versus the Smooth (49.5g) in .25. Seems like you did well last weekend with the Queens, but which is more accurate? I heard the scoring conditions were excellent, and it couldn't be all about BC because Peykan shot a slug with a 0.125 to 0.130 BC.

Last edited:
Looks good Steve. How does that compare to the .25 V3 with 49.5 Smooth or 60 Queens?
You know the 32.3 Smooth come in 5.50 and 5.52?
Also, what is your reasoning for shooting the Queens (60g) versus the Smooth (49.5g) in .25. Seems like you did well last weekend with the Queens, but which is more accurate? I heard the scoring conditions were excellent, and it couldn't be all about BC because Peykan shot a slug with a 0.125 to 0.130 BC.

Ooops messed up again, "32.3" gr not 32.5gr, and mine are the 5.52.

After trying them a few more times now those 49.5's in my V3 throw flyers some times. The 60's are more consistent in my V3 as far as the slugs I've tried which have been only the Altaros. So that's the #1 reason I use them.
I suppose I should try some other brands of slugs for the heck of it.
Though certianly I'd rather be choosing when to shoot via the extra time afforded me using the gun as a repeater vs waisting that time taking the mag out to single load and putting it back in again. This convenience would cost me points with this gun and the 49.5's.

Any advantage using the Queens I would have against others with mid BC slugs would be if its windy, meaning 10 mph+, otherwise I'm not seeing it. Actually I'm surprised that I still have to aim towards the edge of the KZ in normal winds past about 80Y.
On the other end of the BC spectrum Ben getting a 46/48 with pellets at UFT was quite a feat!

Yeah remember when we contemplated this BC, FPS, and weight for slugs, on a thread back when Peykan first shot his Panthera at UFT, and I mentioned that we didn't know exactly how that would pan out??? Well I'm still not exactly sure.

Some thoughts.
Personally I'm struggling to shoot my V3 well.
In one way it's because the LOP is a bit too long for me.
In another way it shoots best for me when muscled into my shoulder or I should say I'm steadier with it that way vs a relaxed hold. BUT the downsides of that is if my NPA is slightly off I get bit to whichever side I'm torquing the gun, and I suspect its because the gun is light and the extra recoil at 60gr/99 fpe/862 fps becomes a hindrance. I can see the crosshair jump to the side when I do this. One of my misses was attributed to this last Saturday as I was holding in the KZ when I shot but the strike was almost an inch left yet no way the wind was that hard and on a mid difficulty KZ size. Try as I may not to make this mistake its happening here and there.

My Anschutz 22rf has the LOP and cheek piece set perfectly for me and even though its also a light gun it fits me nice.
1060 fps so out of the barrel quicker.
Awesome trigger.
Short lock time.
More precision than the V3.
Ergos A+
These all help me out or the very the very least I shoot this gun better.

Like I mentioned in the recent UFT thread - Peykan's Panthera is a BEAST with my guess of 16-ish pounds and weighted perfectly. I'd sure like to try it out a few shots.
That being said I suspect that the extra weight, "now that the offhand stage is aided with a high bipid" is a great benfit.

It'd be fun if we could all try each others gun and slug combo's out on the course and discuss how we felt afterwards.

Reactions: pewpew_splat
Ooops messed up again, "32.3" gr not 32.5gr, and mine are the 5.52.

After trying them a few more times now those 49.5's in my V3 throw flyers some times. The 60's are more consistent in my V3 as far as the slugs I've tried which have been only the Altaros. So that's the #1 reason I use them.
I suppose I should try some other brands of slugs for the heck of it.
Though certianly I'd rather be choosing when to shoot via the extra time afforded me using the gun as a repeater vs waisting that time taking the mag out to single load and putting it back in again. This convenience would cost me points with this gun and the 49.5's.

Any advantage using the Queens I would have against others with mid BC slugs would be if its windy, meaning 10 mph+, otherwise I'm not seeing it. Actually I'm surprised that I still have to aim towards the edge of the KZ in normal winds past about 80Y.
On the other end of the BC spectrum Ben getting a 46/48 with pellets at UFT was quite a feat!

Yeah remember when we contemplated this BC, FPS, and weight for slugs, on a thread back when Peykan first shot his Panthera at UFT, and I mentioned that we didn't know exactly how that would pan out??? Well I'm still not exactly sure.

Some thoughts.
Personally I'm struggling to shoot my V3 well.
In one way it's because the LOP is a bit too long for me.
In another way it shoots best for me when muscled into my shoulder or I should say I'm steadier with it that way vs a relaxed hold. BUT the downsides of that is if my NPA is slightly off I get bit to whichever side I'm torquing the gun, and I suspect its because the gun is light and the extra recoil at 60gr/99 fpe/862 fps becomes a hindrance. I can see the crosshair jump to the side when I do this. One of my misses was attributed to this last Saturday as I was holding in the KZ when I shot but the strike was almost an inch left yet no way the wind was that hard and on a mid difficulty KZ size. Try as I may not to make this mistake its happening here and there.

My Anschutz 22rf has the LOP and cheek piece set perfectly for me and even though its also a light gun it fits me nice.
1060 fps so out of the barrel quicker.
Awesome trigger.
Short lock time.
More precision than the V3.
Ergos A+
These all help me out or the very the very least I shoot this gun better.

Like I mentioned in the recent UFT thread - Peykan's Panthera is a BEAST with my guess of 16-ish pounds and weighted perfectly. I'd sure like to try it out a few shots.
That being said I suspect that the extra weight, "now that the offhand stage is aided with a high bipid" is a great benfit.

It'd be fun if we could all try each others gun and slug combo's out on the course and discuss how we felt afterwards.
Thanks... The 49.5 shoot well from my 600mm Pathera at about 885 fps, and that's with the Superior Heavy liner. I did try them in my 700mm Impact with the Slug A liner, and they weren't good. That liner is "looser" than the Superior Heavy. I'm not sure how they would do in the newer Superior Slug at 1:18 or 1:16. I've heard that the choke on the Slug or Superior Slug was looser than the older Superior Heavy.
So forced position lanes are now standing with bipod? Hmmm...

Reactions: steve123
Looks good Steve. The spread is all vertical, how does the SD look for that Thomas? Your variation is only vertical which looks like a speed difference and not a wind difference. How does that compare to the .25 V3 with 49.5 Smooth or 60 Queens?
You know the 32.3 Smooth come in 5.50 and 5.52? Does the gun have enough power to shoot the 40 grain Kings?
No range time but ran a quick test.

I dropped my reg down to 118bar. With the hammer on 1.6 I was hitting the 900fps mark. If I run up to 2 I’m knocking on 980fps

I can run the kings at 900 with the reg at 125 and the hammer at the same 1.6 setting.

Would you suggest shooting the kings rather?
My only concern is the 1:18 twist liner not stabilising the Kings as well as the 32.5gr Smooths?

IMG_4937.jpeg

I dropped my reg down to 118bar. With the hammer on 1.6 I was hitting the 900fps mark. If I run up to 2 I’m knocking on 980fps

I can run the kings at 900 with the reg at 125 and the hammer at the same 1.6 setting.

My only concern is the 1:18 twist liner not stabilising the Kings as well as the 32.5gr Smooths?

View attachment 410545
Try them both. If you’re stable with the Kings I’d shoot them over the 32.3 Smooth. I think the 1:18 should be fine for either.

Reactions: pewpew_splat

View attachment 410545
if I may add, the 1:18 twist for the .25 caliber is made for 30-45 grain slug weights, while the 1:16 twist is ideal for the 46-65 grain slug. otherwise, the findings regarding liner versions are that 1:16 has a hard chock, 1:18 has a soft chock. I just ordered a new liner and they only send 1:18 that 1:16 they canceled production, I just hope they will change their minds

View attachment 410545
My 600mm 22 will shoot the 40g just as well with the caveat that I am at 5k elevation which mandates less twist. However, I don’t need the extra juice so I stick with the 32.3g and appreciate less refilling and a very sedate shot cycle. I have shot my way through 30 packages and find that it is necessary to clean the barrel after around 250 shots, which in practice means after every 2 packages!

So update post a range session.

And what a frustrating session it was.
Ran the Smooths and the Kings from 800-930 fps - they would literally one hole at 25m stack at 50, fall apart at 100( as in 4”) and then at 190m they would group 3”????? Wtf😂😂

Interestingly the Smooths and The Kings would be around 7tenths left or right of each others zero? Never seen that with any other slugs.
Stupidly I only had the 1:18 twist liner. Need to get the 1:16 but after 4 packs im not feeling super hopeful.

Pin probe
700mm 1:18
Reg started at 110 and ended at 140

So update post a range session.

And what a frustrating session it was.
Ran the Smooths and the Kings from 800-930 fps - they would literally one hole at 25m stack at 50, fall apart at 100( as in 4”) and then at 190m they would group 3”????? Wtf😂😂

Interestingly the Smooths and The Kings would be around 7tenths left or right of each others zero? Never seen that with any other slugs.
Stupidly I only had the 1:18 twist liner. Need to get the 1:16 but after 4 packs im not feeling super hopeful.

Pin probe
700mm 1:18
Reg started at 110 and ended at 140
Caliber?