FX Panthera Hunter

So I was watching Ted’s video on the Panthera Hunter. Being new to this hobbie/ sport, i am not really sure who he is, but seems to be a player when it comes to FX and what not. So during the video he talks about how FX told him the hunter is not a slug shooter. I was looking at the specs on the FX sight and noticed what they were advertising-

4,5 (.177) N/A.

5,5 (.22) up to 54 J – 40 ft/lbs with 21gr slug at 930fps.
6,35 (.25) up to 96 J – 71 ft/lbs with 43.5gr slug at 855 fps.
7,62 (.30) up to 145 J – 107 ft/lbs with 68gr slug at 840 fps.

My point being, why are they advertising it as a slug potential shooter when according to Ted, they supposedly clearly told him it isn’t that type of gun. And to be dead honest, Ted found that the potential for slugs really only made sense at 900fps.
Hopefully FX is not over advertising their product. I wouldn’t want to have much to do with them if this is the case, but hey, what do I know or understand being new. Thoughts?

It’s not marketed as a slug shooter but it shows higher fpe with slugs so that’s why they have the “up to” stats there. You can do it, but you’ll have a better time with the slug versions of the gun if that’s what you want to do. (600-700mm models with the slug twist rate)
Agree. The only thing is this is listed under the compact Hunter. Seems misleading, but hey, so is life most of the time. Lol

I have shot slugs at 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 and 1100 fps ranges and can be accurate at all those speed ranges and even slower. So Ted is venturing into the slug thing and have not really quite fully grasp the slug thing yet. The hunter has a 380mm barrel and with lighter slugs absolutely can get to 900 fps with 177 and 22 slugs. Slugs do NOT need 900 fps to shoot well, anyone says that clearly don't understand gyroscopic stability. The superior liners in FX guns are lasers with lighter slugs with the right tune. FX and everyone specifically said FX 177 barrels can't shoot slugs and yet I got sub MOA groups with them at 100 yards. I even got my dreamtac-compact with 300mm barrel to shoot 177 NSA 12.5g slugs right at 650fps(12 fpe) with really good accuracy.

To be fair, tuning for slugs with such short barrel takes quite a bit of experience and know how. In this particular case FX is UNDER advertising as they know most people will likely to struggle with tuning for slugs with such short barrel.

Last edited:
I have shot slugs at 700, 800, 900, 1000 and 1100 fps ranges and can be accurate at all those speed and even slower.
So Ted is venturing into the slug thing and not really quite fully grasp the slug thing yet. The hunter has a 380mm barrel and with lighter slugs absolutely can get to 900 fps with 177 and 22 slugs. Slugs do NOT need 900 fps to shoot well, anyone says that clearly don't understand gyroscopic stability. The superior liners in FX guns are lasers with lighter slugs with the right tune. I got my dreamtac-compact with 300mm barrel to shoot 177 NSA 12.5g slugs right at 650fps(12 fpe) with really good accuracy.

To be fair, tuning for slugs with such short barrel takes quite a bit of experience and know how. In this particular case FX is UNDER advertising as they know most people will likely to struggle with tuning for slugs with such short barrel.
Well, there you go. Appreciate the info

Reactions: Kenjeepman
I have the compact hunter in .22. I have also watched Ted's video and matched his tune exactly. Now, every gun is a little different but I used his tune as my baseline for a tune to try the same slugs as well as a few others.
I'm not sure if Ted was given some kind of alternate or special liner from FX (they claim they did not), but my compact hunter is by NO means a slug shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Mine will NOT shoot slugs as Ted advertises.
I like Ted, heck he is one of the reasons I got into PCP rifles. I like his videos, but lately I think he and a few others I won't mention have all drank the Kool-aid from certain companies.
I can get the velocities he got, but it will NOT group slugs well at all. I went through boxes of slugs making adjustments up and down.
Like the previous post said, tuning for slugs is not just about velocity and these short barrels are finicky to say the least, but for the average shooter, If you want a better slug gun, look elsewhere.
Jon from FX said from the beginning that the compact hunter was NOT a slug gun.
I knew this and don't care. Yeah, slugs are great, but SO ARE PELLETS. And this gun shoots pellets amazingly well.
I have other guns for slugs, but call me old school, I have no problem with a great PELLET rifle.

I have the compact hunter in .22. I have also watched Ted's video and matched his tune exactly. Now, every gun is a little different but I used his tune as my baseline for a tune to try the same slugs as well as a few others.
I'm not sure if Ted was given some kind of alternate or special liner from FX (they claim they did not), but my compact hunter is by NO means a slug shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Mine will NOT shoot slugs as Ted advertises.
I like Ted, heck he is one of the reasons I got into PCP rifles. I like his videos, but lately I think he and a few others I won't mention have all drank the Kool-aid from certain companies.
I can get the velocities he got, but it will NOT group slugs well at all. I went through boxes of slugs making adjustments up and down.
Like the previous post said, tuning for slugs is not just about velocity and these short barrels are finicky to say the least, but for the average shooter, If you want a better slug gun, look elsewhere.
I knew this and don't care. Yeah, slugs are great, but SO ARE PELLETS. And this gun shoots pellets amazingly well.
I have other guns for slugs, but call me old school, I have no problem with a great PELLET rifle.
Nice! Great feedback. Honestly, I never had the intention of buying this gun for slug use. As the stated above by you, I’m fine with pellets. For me, the post was more about what I saw as potential misleading advertising.
If I’m going to shoot slugs I would just commit to the 700mm panthera.
Appreciate the post.

The panthera hunter .22 only has a 300mm barrel and I think a 62cc plenum. I went with the 25 cal because it has the 380mm barrel and 120cc plenum. It will same hole 34gr slugs at 50yds at a pretty consistent 895fps. 150 on the regulator.
The best part is I can get a 380mm .22 liner and huma caliber change kit for $250 and shoot .22 slugs with ease.
14AEE34A-F8B1-4D72-B539-869E7D9DD06E.png

Reactions: Hhall1 and qball
Pretty sure in that video Ted said he would be doing a follow up shooting some distance with slugs. I still am waiting. Lol

Reactions: Hhall1
My Panthera Compact Hunter indeed shoots slugs. Very fast.

The only detail is that it does not shoot them accurately.
I know you also have a 25. High reg pressure and as little hammer tension as possible. Hybrids are about a moa or touch over for me about 950. Any faster and the valve is staying open to long. My gun sounds the same shooting hades at 920 as hybrids at 950. Just about 6 clicks on the macro wheel

Reactions: qball
Just about 6 clicks on the macro wheel

All the macro wheel does is move the micro wheel in bigger increments.
In reality there is really only one hammer adjustment and that is the micro.

So when you say "just about six clicks on the macro wheel", where is your micro sitting? That's the number you want.

All the macro wheel does is move the micro wheel in bigger increments.
In reality there is really only one hammer adjustment and that is the micro.

So when you say "just about six clicks on the macro wheel", where is your micro sitting? That's the number you want.
Just under 3.5 and 15 on the wheel for hades, barracuda hunters and hunter extremes gives me 920 with hades and 900 with the h&n’s.
Turning the wheel up to 21 gives me 945-950 with hybrids or my homemade 28gr hollow points because they are shorter.
For 30-34gr I turn the wheel to 23

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
Just under 3.5 and 15 on the wheel for hades, barracuda hunters and hunter extremes gives me 920 with hades and 900 with the h&n’s.
Turning the wheel up to 21 gives me 945-950 with hybrids or my homemade 28gr hollow points because they are shorter.
For 30-34gr I turn the wheel to 23
What reg pressure? 110 bar I was getting +-15 fps swings. At 120 it’s closer to 3 fps swings but the reg creeps bad at that pressure. At 110 it didn’t budge.

So I was watching Ted’s video on the Panthera Hunter. Being new to this hobbie/ sport, i am not really sure who he is, but seems to be a player when it comes to FX and what not. So during the video he talks about how FX told him the hunter is not a slug shooter. I was looking at the specs on the FX sight and noticed what they were advertising-

4,5 (.177) N/A.

5,5 (.22) up to 54 J – 40 ft/lbs with 21gr slug at 930fps.
6,35 (.25) up to 96 J – 71 ft/lbs with 43.5gr slug at 855 fps.
7,62 (.30) up to 145 J – 107 ft/lbs with 68gr slug at 840 fps.

My point being, why are they advertising it as a slug potential shooter when according to Ted, they supposedly clearly told him it isn’t that type of gun. And to be dead honest, Ted found that the potential for slugs really only made sense at 900fps.
Hopefully FX is not over advertising their product. I wouldn’t want to have much to do with them if this is the case, but hey, what do I know or understand being new. Thoughts?
I tried the 20 gr slugs in mine and .. i mean I didn’t get a chance to shoot at 50+ .. just wanted to see how the gun would sound/act. For reference I settled at 130 r 2,12 hs running 18 grain pellets at about 875 fps.
Slugs, to get the 900 i had the reg at 145 and HS at 2,75 @ 900 fps (fwiw Ted had his pellet tune about the same (145/2,80). Anyways i felt the gun was pushing its limits and wasting air. I then tried them at 135 and about 2,50 fps around 850 and it sounded pretty good. Shot well at 20 yards. Still want to try this tune at 50+