• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Panthera groups

Just because you have good chronograph numbers doesn't mean nothing if your gun is not accurate. My rifle has a 500mm barrel . My best numbers with hybrid 22 grain slugs was at 974 fps and spread of 10 fps. 2.9 std. Best group was .685 at 50 yards. Definitely pushing them to fast. Tuned down to 950 and groups are getting better. My number with the monster jsb was best at 935 but not shooting good dropped down to a tune with a worse std and spread and average of 912 fps and shot three groups that are very good for me. Two of them are the best groups at 50 yards with pellets that I have ever shot...you never know!!! Bottom groups for for panthera.

IMG_20230826_175024.jpg

IMG_20230826_175121.jpg

I have watched several videos of different FX guns shooting slugs out of 500mm barrels and they show them doing pretty well. Have tried on a Maverick and a Crown MKII. No such luck. I don’t like 700mm barrels but have 3 guns with 600mm barrels that shoot slugs just fine.
I will never waste my effort and time trying to make a 500mm shoot slugs again.

I have watched several videos of different FX guns shooting slugs out of 500mm barrels and they show them doing pretty well. Have tried on a Maverick and a Crown MKII. No such luck. I don’t like 700mm barrels but have 3 guns with 600mm barrels that shoot slugs just fine.
I will never waste my effort and time trying to make a 500mm shoot slugs again.
I am happy with the pellet accuracy . Hunting squirrel out to 50 yards its perfect. I do a lot of pesting at long range and if I can get consistent groups in the .500 range with slugs that's all I will shoot

Thanks for posting your findings!

I believe that good ES and SD numbers show a well balanced and happy hammer spring/valve/regulator configuration but that is only part of the equation.

I think of the velocity as reference number (the same way as I view ES and SD) rather than an absolute value.

Presuming that the projectiles and their loading are consistent, other mechanical considerations would be barrel harmonics and the in-flight projectile stability as determined by the rifling and anything that influences the projectile as it's exiting the barrel (the crown, or air turbulence from excessive pressure/volume of air, or the moderator).

That being said, I know that I'm the biggest ( negative?) influence on where the shot hits. 😉

Cheers!

Reactions: bbbrownbommer