• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Panthera first shot low FPS

Hello all,

I was discussing this in another thread but it seems like my issue must be slightly different. I have a Panthera .22 Compact and the first shot is always 40-80fps slow after sitting for an hour or more. The regulator the gun came with had 5-8 bar reg creep which made the issue worse. Even after 600+ pellets it wouldn't settle in so I swapped in the reg from my Maverick which I know is good. The issue still persists after 3-4 different attempts at fixing the regulator. I have tried at 110 bar and 120 bar reg settings. Here are my shot strings:

---
---
---
---

For a little extra background, Utah Airguns said they tuned it for me and when I shot my first few shots I just thought they did a crappy tune. The more pellets I put through it in a sitting the better it shoots. After 3-4 mags it's pretty tight FPS but when it sits it goes to poop again. Could it be a faulty valve? Utah Airguns and FX support both think it's the regulator but I've already swapped that out.

I'd like to avoid sending it in if I can.

Assuming the Panthera has a valve rod similar to the Impact, you’re probably seeing O-ring stiction.

1694203918941.gif

Reactions: Dairyboy
most problems are in the regulator. check it if the landing surface on the bottom is well polished as are the springs. it also depends on which version of the regulator you have, if it is still made of plastic or brass, or the latest version is brass with a piece of plastic in it, see photo.
IMG_20230828_143141.jpg

I had a piece of that plastic just like a hair and it was causing me problems.

and as another thing in low pressure setting it does it more often than at higher pressure it stops doing it for me when I set 150 bar at 145 bar it rises only slightly.

To get at the front oring you need to degas the whole gun pull the plenum which is really tight I used a soft jaw vise and a strap wrench then a pair of snap ring pliers to get the valve retainer out. Watch Ernest rowes disassemble video it's very helpful I would also try a viton oring but I don't know how long they will last I guess I'll find out soon enough

Totally different gun but my P35-25 did this when the hammer spring was set too low for the regulator setting. When I moved the hammer spring setting up more in line with the regulator the issue totally went away. If you haven't tried increasing the hammer spring to the point the velocity stops rising and then trying slight adjustments around that point for best accuracy you may want to try it.

Reactions: Airgunmann
Totally different gun but my P35-25 did this when the hammer spring was set too low for the regulator setting. When I moved the hammer spring setting up more in line with the regulator the issue totally went away. If you haven't tried increasing the hammer spring to the point the velocity stops rising and then trying slight adjustments around that point for best accuracy you may want to try it.
I’ve tried so many variations, this isn’t a tune problem but thanks.