FX Panthera compact hunter .25 Cal…. My experience.

With these micro and macro adjustments this Panthera compact hunter shoots very well the JSB‘s 33.95 grain MKII at 855 fps:

IMG_2510.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: qball and Raider03
@GA_LeadHead @Emu

How is the balance on the Panthera Compacts? Front heavy, rear heavy, fairly balanced? Obviously moving the bottle around would affect that, but curious on your impressions of the stock setup compared to your setups.

Thanks,
-pg
Mine is a .22, so shorter barrel than Emu's .25.
I put a 480cc front bottle, Donny Tatsu and folding stock on mine.
Balance point is just in front of trigger if i'm teetering it on a couple of fingers.
I prefer it over my wildcat BT compact now as a run and gun platform. And that is saying something.

Reactions: 850renxrs
Thank you both for checking. I am tempted to sell a gun to two and get one in .25. I would be considering putting the 300 bottle in the back and putting the compact ARCA rail up front. Or maybe getting a 500mm version. Decisions decisions
If you are looking for a rifle to carry around hunting, stay away from the 500mm version. I have one in 30 cal and I wouldn't want to tote it around. Too heavy in my opinion. My little hunter compact is a feather compared to it.

Reactions: 850renxrs
If you are looking for a rifle to carry around hunting, stay away from the 500mm version. I have one in 30 cal and I wouldn't want to tote it around. Too heavy in my opinion. My little hunter compact is a feather compared to it.
I have my Taipan compact for a walk about hunter.

I am looking for something comfortable to shoot off a bipod or tripod, with a higher mag scope for shooting birds at longer range. The 500 seems like it would be fine for that, but something a little more mobile would be nice, so I could move from spot to spot and camp out for a bit to see if some pest birds show up. And it sounds like the compact has enough power to do what I want.

Have you tried JSB 25gr Monster redesigns out of the 22 compact? I am guessing that 300mm barrel might not quite get them up to speed?

Regards,
-pg

I have my Taipan compact for a walk about hunter.

I am looking for something comfortable to shoot off a bipod or tripod, with a higher mag scope for shooting birds at longer range. The 500 seems like it would be fine for that, but something a little more mobile would be nice, so I could move from spot to spot and camp out for a bit to see if some pest birds show up. And it sounds like the compact has enough power to do what I want.

Have you tried JSB 25gr Monster redesigns out of the 22 compact? I am guessing that 300mm barrel might not quite get them up to speed?

Regards,
-pg
Those Taipan compacts are great!
I'm only shooting Hades out of the little panthera compact.
I've also shot 18's out of it and it likes those as well.
I learned from my Daystate Alpha Wolf that the MRD's like to run hot and I'm not sure the little compact Panthera would be the best platform for that.

My 500mm 30 cal is great on the bench. I've got it setup with dual bottles (700cc up front) and I found a "magic tune" that shoots 44.5 grain Hybrids at 910 fps and 44.8 grain atomics/hades at 915 fps. All I have to do is adjust my elevation down a four clicks when switching to hybrids.
Very accurate and plenty of horsepower.
The farthest I shoot is around 70 yards in my backyard range. My old eyes and hands pretty much keep me to that distance as well, lol.
I've got a Donny Ronin on the front of the 30 and it's VERY quiet.
I bought the 500/30 to be my turkey hunting gun. Georgia requires a minimum of 30 cal for air rifle hunting turkey. If I ever take that one hunting, the front bottle is coming off for sure.

@GA_LeadHead That is what I was guessing, and why I was thinking a .25 would be better, if I decide on a compact. Sounds like @Emu is getting good results, even with the 34 grain JSBs. Also, I am super jealous that you get to hunt turkey with air guns. We have to beat the *@&% out of our shoulders with heavy turkey loads here in WI if we want to bag a gobbler.

Thank you for the info, @GA_LeadHead and @Emu
-pg

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
@GA_LeadHead That is what I was guessing, and why I was thinking a .25 would be better, if I decide on a compact. Sounds like @Emu is getting good results, even with the 34 grain JSBs. Also, I am super jealous that you get to hunt turkey with air guns. We have to beat the *@&% out of our shoulders with heavy turkey loads here in WI if we want to bag a gobbler.

Thank you for the info, @GA_LeadHead and @Emu
-pg
I have taken some wild turkeys with air rifle. One with .357, one with .25 (head shot) and the must with .30 Cal.

With .30 Cal they fall stone dead with a well placed chest shot.

You can see a double of wild turkeys with .30 Cal on my hunting videos:

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
After being able to tunne the trigger of my Panthera Compact Hunter .25 Cal, this rifle is getting a really good hunting companion.

Pro's are increasing and once confirmed that the same tunning works perfectly for both JSB Hades and JSB 34 grain, with just some learned clicks on the scope, right or left, now I'm am able to alternate pellets depending what I'm will be shooting at.

Really convenient !!!