• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pan head vs ball head tripod advice

Can you guys post a link to the gimbal heads that you use? I’ve never used one for either photography or shooting and want to try out an inexpensive one for both purposes. Then, if it really works for me I’ll step up to something more capable (and probably also more expensive).

Chris
I have a Wimberly gimbal head that works great for photography but I have not used it with my air rifle, never thought about it. My Markins ball head works with no problem with my Uragan standard and it is over 10 lbs.

I got this gimbal because I can adjust the height, but really no need to spend big dollar just any will work.
For levelling head I use this.
For pan head what I built the BR one-piece-rest I use this.
Thanks. I’ve seen this one on line before. I’ll probably just get it since its not too pricey.I tend to buy these things from B&H Photo since they rebate me the sales tax.

Can you guys post a link to the gimbal heads that you use? I’ve never used one for either photography or shooting and want to try out an inexpensive one for both purposes. Then, if it really works for me I’ll step up to something more capable (and probably also more expensive).

Chris
This is the one I got. Magnus GH-M1 Gimbal Head https://a.co/d/1Qt7Jin

One of my tripods for BR:
20220726_140706.jpg
20220726_135653.jpg

I know that for years this RRS https://rrssoar.com/anvil-30/ was the #1 choice for PRS. Though I haven't kept up with what those guys use nowadays??

It's expensive but man they are fast and work fantastic. I have a friend with a RRS combo including this head and I can hold POA on a 22 cal bullet hole at 50Y when standing.
In contrast my Manfroto and joystick head is a joke in comparison. It's shocking to experience the difference between those two set ups.

Been tempted to buy this Co's tripod and this head for years but I resisted because I rarely use a tripod.