• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pan head vs ball head tripod advice

The budget includes the tripod. I know I know that’s not a lot. But my lack of funds have me doing stuff like this…. It was $.78 and works as well as I need it to.

78D99159-08B8-4DA0-9449-05FE0C5B62F9.jpeg

D4D2C111-D917-497F-BC99-C48911AEF6EF.jpeg

9CD85418-8457-499D-B2A8-6974ECFCE0CB.jpeg

@owesme$ $250 may be cutting it close for a tripod and a head. Personally I use ball heads. Be sure that your head and tripod are both rated to support the weight of your gun. No sense in spending over $1000 on a gun to set it upon a cheap tripod not rated to support its weight and have it topple over possibly damaging your gun. There are several good threads discussing heads and tripods. I don’t know if too many members using “pan” heads. I do recall a member or two that use leveling heads if I’m not mistaken. See post #10 in this thread about the leveling head https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...-for-picatany-arca-rail.1221569/#post-1221828

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
@owesme$ I’ve bought plenty from DVOR. They’re legit. Shipping is a flat rate of $9.99 on most items ordered by 11:59pm the same day. Large irregular shaped items like big rifle cases may cost more to ship. They’ll ask you to set up an account. It doesn’t cost anything to set up. Just be mindful of the amount of time left in their sales. Most are 7 days starting at 10am the day when a sale first posts. Some are shorter and occasionally some sales are longer. Also pay attention to the estimated shipping time on each item before ordering. Sometimes it’s 1-2 business days. Sometimes it may be 2-3 weeks.

Photography was my main hobby for over four decades, I had a huge variety of equipment in the past, always swapping and upgrading.
To the OP:
There are ball heads, pan heads, levelling heads, gimbals to call out the most common styles, also there are way more expensive exotics.
What you/me/all we need is the most important to keep the vertical = bubble in level. There are easier way and not so easier way.
The ball heads will tip over when you un tighten, and you need to keep the gun all the time and check the bubble.
The pan heads you can lock the horizontal (assuming a good solid tripod), much easier to work with vs ballheads, but a complication with locking handles, also not all panheads are built for swiss-arca, Manfroto in example won't fit.
The levelling heads are usually stronger, but the motion is limited maybe 15-20 degree F-R and L-R. This I am mentioning if you have up-downhill shots.
Gimbals, no need to spend high dollars just any will work for you.

Me personally using a levelling head for BR, but for a hunting setup I vote for gimbals.

This ballhead

With this tripod are both similar to what I have. This tripod might be a bit better quality than the one I have. Canadian prices if it shows C but might auto adjust to USD if you look at it. Would be a great setup will have no issues locking tight with any weight airgun (within reason) and light with the cf tripod. I love mine.

C$ 151.66 53%OFF | Carbon Fiber Tripod for Camera Mobile Phone Holder Smartphone Stand Cellphone Professional Tripod Dslr Monopod Max 197cm AS35C

Reactions: Mr.H
If weight size and portability is not an issue IE your are stationary, I would vote for a tripod with a leveling base with a gimbal head. You can balance the gun so basically weightless moving in any direction plus once you level the head you never have to worry about your gun being canted.

Last edited: