• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Paging ColdKing, CK Pick up Line 1

CK and/or others, I need you help. Just took possession of my new LP Silhouette and am having a problem airing it up. Problem is when I air up using my C/F bottle and release the line pressure, the cylinder empties. Either the fitting I have is incorrect or I am doing something wrong. I tried with and without the small plastic washer shown next to the stainless fitting, same results. Also tried an O ring in place of the plastic washer, no go!
What fitting(s) are you using on your LP S and LP50, assuming they are the same? Pics/links are welcome! 

Gratuitous Pistol Pic

Certainly looks to be the correct fitting to me. It sounds like either you have a bad valve in the bottle ( most likely from what you describe) or "maybe"(?) you can bleeding to slow? SOME rigs will bleed down if you just barley crack the bleeder allow it to slowly leak out, do bleed as fast as you can.
Champions or maybe Pilkguns would have parts/answers.

John

video at about 11-12min's shows filling, only difference if you have an additional foster adaptor which should not make a difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqIEzXvzXDM

John

John,
Agree that the fitting is prolly not the culprit as the fit is snug and doesn't appear to be leaking. Funny thing is that I had a new LP50 that did the same thing with both air cylinders a few weeks ago. Hard to believe that 4 new cylinders would have bad check valves. Makes me think my technique is wonky. I guess I could air up directly off my bottle like the video but if the cylinder is bad only bad things can happen. I did try to bleed as fast as I could, not sure what to try next, maybe see if I can scare up a floor pump. Thanks for the reply. Here's the setup:

Ok - when you connect your Steyr pistol bottle to your carbon fiber tank via the special connector you've put together -then open the valve on your carbon fiber tank to fill your Steyr cylinder and once you've reached the red/green line -on the Steyr cylinder --
close the valve on your carbon fiber tank- the line will be under pressure - so you quickly unscrew your Steyr bottle from the fill nipple- and I mean QUICKLY !! -or all the air will have left the Steyr bottle 
if your still having problems I might be able to do a video - but I think you get it. You can't leave the Steyr bottle connected to the hose -and try to use your bleed valve on your carbon fiber tank- you'll dump all the air in the Steyr bottle- there is no check valve in it
CK 
oh and your fitting is put together correctly in photo 
under presure - unscrew your Steyr bottle with incredible speed - you'll hear loud hissing - then done-
also there a developed technique to slightly over filling into the red to compensate for the air lost in the unscrewing of the bottle quickly - practice -practice 

Unfortunately my photobucket isn't working - but the second photo youve got indeed shows that the bronze Colored fitting won't seat into the carbon bottle directly -it's to short 
as photo 2 shows 
photo 3 -would be great if the bronze fitting seated i.e. Bottomed but it's to short ---hence the hissing and air loss needs a rubber washer inserted--
whos photo is it above - with the carbon fiber tank and small bore hose? Photo just below the photo of the gun---
because that is the setup I thought you had? You've got your stainless steel colored male foster screwed into your bronze Steyr coupler with the Oring -
that's correct --photo above--- photo(4) now simply connect the stainless side to your female small bore hose which in turn is connected to your tank - right?
after that screw your Steyr cylinder onto the bronze colored oringed side
then simply open the carbon fiber bottles valve- and fill to the red/green middle line. Close the valve on your carbon fiber tank now. The hose is under high pressure -do not use the bleed valve on your carbon fiber tank- you must leave the line under pressure - ( main valve on tank closed ) ---
And then you will QUICKLY UNSCREW THE Steyr cylinder from the bronze colored fitting - you will hear rapid gush of air - but if done fast enough -
the internal valve in the Steyr cylinder seats shut --
but that's why I go a bit into the red -to compensate for some of the air that will be lost in the unscrewing process 

they do sell a rubber washer that you can insert into the carbon tank- to compensate for shallow depth of the Steyr fitting,it would allow you to fill as in photo 3
i think champions choice or pilkington sells this insert washer? Maybe even air hog or the other guy--
CK

CORRECT! that's the way you'd do it . if you do decide to get the rubber( sometimes Delrin ) insert washer that would allow filling directly from the carbon fiber tank, you would still -NOT USE THE BLEED VALVE ON THE CARBON FIBER TANK.-
Close main valve on carbon fiber tank- then rapidly unscrew the Steyr bottle -
this applies to any configuration set up- all Steyr pistols are filled with air this way. 
'you mentioned returning several due to this perceived problem?
nothing wrong with them - just keep in mind they do not have a traditional check valve - they seat when rapidly unscrewed. its the length of the O ringed nipple that causes the valve to close when unscrewed -or opened when fully seated into the tube --
CK 

I will get the insert washer at first opportunity, would feel more comfortable without using the small bore hose. I'll give the above a go tomorrow.

Didn't return any cylinders, always thought I was doing something wrong and that has been confirmed. Did not know about lack of traditional check valve, nothing on Steyr's site has any info on this and I'm new to the pistols. The video that John linked in the second post was the first filling I have seen and he doesn't really state it HAS to be, only that is how he does it. 

Thanks to spysir and to you CK for your patience in helping me thru this. Will update when I have success. It sucks to have a new pistol and not be able to shoot it.

Sometimes easier to show photos or video- sucks having photo bucket down ---
but I always use a regulator on my carbon fiber bottles - then to micro bore hose -
I fill my bottles to near 5000 psi - so it's imperative that I regulate the psi output - or could have a terrible accident -
but some guys don't believe in there use,just consider it another expense --
oh and even the large long cylinders used in the Steyr rifles where filled this way, before the quick fill option -probe became a standard -
shoot safe
CK