PA legalizies airguns

Well PA finally legalizied air guns for hunting, but they have done one of the dumbest things I think I have ever heard of in doing so.
It is legal to hunt small game with an air gun now but only in the calibers of .177 or .22, it is illegal to hunt with an .25. So I can shoot a squirrel with my Remington SP10 10 gauge but not my .25 cal Marauder. It is the most absurd idea ever. Am I only person that thinks this?

I emailed the board of commissioners after they proposed what they would be voting on in March and expressed that to them and they did respond and said that they would consider my opinion when voting in March. Well considering i am probably the only person that emailed them they never even thought about it they just approved what they had proposed. Very dissappointed in whoever did the research and proposed something so foolish.

I think them taking the first step in even letting airguns be used for hunting is a good thing not perfect but good, Hunters are going to have to speak up about this rule.
MI allows airguns to be used for hunting but it can't be suppressed/silenced/baffled,in Feb 2016 a law was passed (with the help of Crosman and MI Airgun alliance)to allow suppressors for hunting in the 2016 season.
Crosman helped MI out with this law maybe they can help PA, here is the tread http://www.airgunnation.com/forum/discussion/hunting/

"jspade"Well PA finally legalizied air guns for hunting, but they have done one of the dumbest things I think I have ever heard of in doing so.
It is legal to hunt small game with an air gun now but only in the calibers of .177 or .22, it is illegal to hunt with an .25. So I can shoot a squirrel with my Remington SP10 10 gauge but not my .25 cal Marauder. It is the most absurd idea ever. Am I only person that thinks this?

No, you are not alone in this thinking. The PA GC was very short sighted in their decision. However this does not surprise me considering their overall indifference and narcissistic agendas.

"jspade"Well PA finally legalizied air guns for hunting, but they have done one of the dumbest things I think I have ever heard of in doing so.
Wow, that's backwards as all get out! 

Its a step in the right direction from a board that doesn't understand air guns nor the use of them in hunting, You have to understand that when you start talking about calibers what they see is firearm calibers not air guns. You have your foot in the door which will allow you ( all PA air gun hunters) to further educate those who are making those laws.
As suggested I would talk to crosman, also call Airguns of Arizona, and Pyramyd Air, ask them for advice on how you can further educate and push for changes. They are very active in getting airguns legalized for use in game hunting and will give you some good advice and perhaps some good contact information.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
I want to make a suggestion to everyone that is being active in working to get your state to allow air gun hunting.... Move away from talking about Caliber sizes and instead address the issue in Foot Pounds Of Energy for the type or size of game.

There are a lot of really good reasons for this approach that will not only might make it easier to get the laws passed but also insure that the laws are not rescinded due to a mass of animal cruelty complaints.
  • First; is by getting off the topic of calibers you are no longer battling those who see .177, .22,.25, .35 and are comparing them to the same calibers in firearm dangers and or capabilities. You are actually addressing the capabilities of the air guns themselves! 
  • Second; because not all air rifles are equal and shoot at the same fps you are insuring that if that said state is passing a law to allow air guns to be used in deer size game then you are also insuring that the guns allowed to be used will actually be capable of doing the job. THIS will not only insure ethical hunting but also help build a structure for further advancement of air gun hunting with states that are taking small steps first in small game hunting with the possibility of adding larger game down the line. 
  • Third; be reasonable in your expectations. Yes I know there are those of you who could use a .25 air rifle and kill a deer with it. But you need to lower your expectation of skill level down to those who will be taking chest shots of what ever size animal and kill it in an ethical amount of time set your minimal agenda in FPE accordingly.
  • Fourth; be ready to put some effort into the agenda, it is much easier to get these type of people to listen and act to say a hundred voices than one voice in the darkness, This is a good reason for contacting folks like Air Guns of Arizona, Crosman, and other big box air gun retailers/Manufactures will come into play as they can act as mediators and set up petitions for everyone to sign and get them to the people who will make a difference. 
  • Fifth; Use patience and long suffering and be respectful in your criticism (Learned the Hardway!) a person or group of persons will be more apt to listen and act positive to a positive criticism than being called stupid or a fool. Remember that the gears of the government turns slowly.
  • And Finely but not least! Always remember public perception!!! As it is part of that public who will be making those yay or nay votes. Be mindful of that when you post videos of air gun hunts, use the examples of other professional T.V hunting shows and avoid showing full clips of "bleed out" Kills I and you both understand that sometimes this is part of the hunt even in firearms and archery but you don't need to be recording it. Show the proper respect for your kills and be a responsible hunter.
Thanks for listening
Willie

Reactions: Zoey
first post here. I saw this while cruising the airgun sites and decided to join. I am in PA and was ecstatic to see airgun hunting allowed this year. I would never have thought they would have enacted these stupid caliber restrictions. I emailed them also when I saw the prelim regs. I am having trouble accepting that someone can go to Walmart and buy a $100 break barrel with the cheapest pellets they can find and go small game hunting. Yet hunting with a high precision PCP in 25 cal is illegal. You can empty a 25 round mag of 22 LR thru a 10/22 and that is legal. where is the common sense.

A few years ago here' in North Carolina We were trying to get crossbow hunting for all hunters.It took years and came a little bit at a time.The commission was for it but the bow hunters opposed it .But one step at a time it was finally approved.My suggestion would be to find out who opposed the larger caliber air rifle.It might surprise You to discover that another group of hunters are afraid that Air gunners are going get their game.Instead of calling the commissioners names educate them on airgun hunting.Find where the resistance is and try to find a middle ground where everyone can be happy 

Rhode Island has the same law re hunting with air guns. 177 and 22 only. I live in Mass and can be in RI in 20 mins by car. RI allows sunday hunting, mass doesnt, mass has a season on coyotes as does RI but coyotes in RI can be hunted year round on private property. glad i didnt pay for a non resident hunting license as i only have a 25 and a 308 air gun.

Ncstan, that sir is THE main point we are up against! Pretty much the same here in Ohio. Even after I gave them a well written, 18-page report, with pics, links, ballistics, etc. Damned bow hunters...maybe even the powder burners are afraid we'll take their spots in the seasonal order. About damned time too! Bow hunters always get first crack at everything, the earliest part of the season. Guns get relegated to snow, ice, freezing rain...the worst part of the season. That's selfish and wrong. If they don't go our way here, I may just take the bow hunters AND the state to court. Selfishly hording the best part of the seasons to themselves is just plain illegal and immoral. I shouldn't be forced to hunt with a bow or airbolt to get in on the earlier part of the season. They will have to learn to be more fair about divvying up seasons in regard to weapons choice, the way things of that nature are these days. We must first try to educate. Lacking that, if they won't walk, walk'em!

unionrdrNcstan, that sir is THE main point we are up against! Pretty much the same here in Ohio. Even after I gave them a well written, 18-page report, with pics, links, ballistics, etc. Damned bow hunters...maybe even the powder burners are afraid we'll take their spots in the seasonal order. About damned time too! Bow hunters always get first crack at everything, the earliest part of the season. Guns get relegated to snow, ice, freezing rain...the worst part of the season. That's selfish and wrong. If they don't go our way here, I may just take the bow hunters AND the state to court. Selfishly hording the best part of the seasons to themselves is just plain illegal and immoral. I shouldn't be forced to hunt with a bow or airbolt to get in on the earlier part of the season. They will have to learn to be more fair about divvying up seasons in regard to weapons choice, the way things of that nature are these days. We must first try to educate. Lacking that, if they won't walk, walk'em!

That education you are talking about is a two way street, have you ever tried shooting a bow in freezing rain, Or shoot a black powder gun in wet weather? Have you ever hunted game that you have to bring in 30 yards?
I do understand it may feel like you are running into a brick wall but only by understanding both sides of the street will you be able to find a middle ground

Yup. Been there, done that. I've been around bow hunters, besides all other kind of hunters and they are the most arrogantly selfish. Some of them really did talk like they were better hunters than us gun hunters. Even us black powder hunters. Most of them are typically sitting in tree stands, where I wasn't. I haven't been in any shape to climb a tree in years and was never that good at it. And I have nothing to haul a portable stand around, or any property nearby to leave it up. I don't like the system the way it is and won't be argued with by those that want it to stay as is. It has to be fair to everyone, or it's worthless to everyone. No gray area. Stop all the over-regulation so I don't have to freeze my butt off so the bow hunters don't have to. they're no more important than me? Is it any easier for me to pull the trigger after cocking a springer in freezing cold and rain than him to pull an arrow. They basically sounded like they wouldn't make ANY deals, since they keep pushing to keep the beginning of the season. always making gun hunters seem like bunch of buffoons by comparison. What a load.

"unionrdr"Yup. Been there, done that. I've been around bow hunters, besides all other kind of hunters and they are the most arrogantly selfish. Some of them really did talk like they were better hunters than us gun hunters. Even us black powder hunters. Most of them are typically sitting in tree stands, where I wasn't. I haven't been in any shape to climb a tree in years and was never that good at it. And I have nothing to haul a portable stand around, or any property nearby to leave it up. I don't like the system the way it is and won't be argued with by those that want it to stay as is. It has to be fair to everyone, or it's worthless to everyone. No gray area. Stop all the over-regulation so I don't have to freeze my butt off so the bow hunters don't have to. they're no more important than me? Is it any easier for me to pull the trigger after cocking a springer in freezing cold and rain than him to pull an arrow. They basically sounded like they wouldn't make ANY deals, since they keep pushing to keep the beginning of the season. always making gun hunters seem like bunch of buffoons by comparison. What a load.

I am not sure if you are just trying to get a rise out of someone or if your actually serous? its a lot easier to hunt a deer at 100 yards or even 50 yards try bringing him in to a 30 yard range after he has been hunted 3/4 of the season, besides Okay so a bow hunter has an early season, gun shooters get the rutting season, besides its the good cold snaps that brings the big bucks out and starts the rutting season.
and your darn straight its easier for you to pull a trigger on your springer than it is to draw a 60 pound compound bow or draw a 45 pound traditional bow.

Be that as it may the biggest reason for bow hunters getting the early season is simply put Bow hunters may equal somewhere in the range of 20% of the total hunters in a state if not less, and it is extremely difficult to get a stressed deer within the 30 yard range for a clean shot, and yes sir Bow Hunting IS one of the hardest forms of deer hunting and requires a higher skill level than firearm hunting. Skill is learned it does not have anything to do with social status.
I don't know about other states but in Texas the seasons are set according to the effect they have on the animal, this places Archery first as it is the quietist form of hunting and has the least amount of effect in stressing the deer in the surrounding area, then firearms as this is the largest portion of the hunting force and does not produce the strong sulfur smell, then black powder season because the effect is the most traumatic to the surrounding deer population, The freebie in black powder hunting is that we are allowed to take doe or buck, not just bucks. Where the others are restricted on doe hunting to three days of the season.

It sounds like to me you are the one who has an issue with others not the other way around and if that letter you talked about was worded in the same tone and manner as your posts its no wonder it was ignored!  I don't like the system the way it is and won't be argued with by those that want it to stay as is ....... Just exactly who is the one not willing to negotiate or listen?
If your not willing to listen objectively to the other sides reasoning why should they listen to yours?