• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

P700-SA Pistol sight experience

IMG_17181.1611157255.JPG
I have read so many threads on sights for the P700-SA pistol. I found it hard to choose what really worked and what did not. The original iron sights are useless because there is no vertical adjustment and the pellet trajectory is slow and loopy. My pistol is in .22 and it shoots just fine and the pellet speed is around 600 fps. When your target is further away than 5 yards, some amount of holdover the barrel line is required. I immediately at gun purchase time ordered an adjustable rear sight, but that did work well because it interfered with the loading door. I then decided to buy a Red dot sight, a reflex sight, a laser sight, a SeeAll Open sight and I already owned a pistol scope. I ordered all but the SeeAll from AliExpress, they were very inexpensive. After they arrived, I tested them and each one had their plus and minus attributes. The negative ones were either limited field of view, hard rapid target acquisition or they blocked the view of the target when using holdover. All of them suffered an elevated sight line above the barrel line making short range targets very difficult. The best sight in my testing was the reflex sight, as it offered great target view and it has a choice of color ,red and green, but the sight line was 2 inches above the barrel line. That is not a problem beyond 15 yards, but less than that required a varying amount of holdover to compensate for the high sight line over the barrel. My solution to this dilemma I think may be a bit unique, but I will leave that up to the readership to judge.

Mounting the laser as it was intended put the laser above the barrel line, like all the other sights and it was no great advantage over the other sights, but short range target acquisition was superb. You may note that the P700-SA has a squarish steel machined barrel shroud and its sides are milled with retention grooves at the top and bottom of each side. I removed the laser mount stuff and then milled the bottom of the sight to fit those grooves. I then slid the laser sight onto the left side of the shroud. It fit tightly, but a small dab of epoxy now holds it very securely on the shroud. This laser sight is quite small. Its overall length is 2 inches and is 3/4" rectangular in shape. Mounted on the shroud the laser line is just a tad more than 1/2" left of the barrel line. I adjusted the red laser beam dead parallel to the barrel line. When viewed with the reflex sight set to green, both dots are easily seen and holdover no longer needs to be estimated, it is displayed right there in the sight lens. The laser identifies accurate POI up to 15 yards and the reflex sight identifies POI beyond that. They work super together. The reflex sight is aliexpress.com/item/32913203978.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62e54c4dSv9NTF ($15) and the Laser sight is aliexpress.com/item/4000773824523.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3b144c4dF6pZSi ($5) . For those prices, you can afford to experiment.

Thanks for sharing such a detailed account. I’ve been through a similar difficulty in sorting out what works for me.

Right now my PP700S-A is wearing a compact 3-9x32 because its accuracy is so good that the poor aiming precision of a red dot annoyed me. But I know you use yours for ratting so you have to favor quick acquisition. What you’ve done sounds great for that purpose. 

I haven’t used many different types of red dots but the one I like best is one marketed for crossbows which has 3 vertically-spaced dots that give some useful aim points at a distance. I can’t fathom why the cheapie models with a selectable pattern (dot, circle, and star) don’t include the 3-dot.

Thanks for sharing such a detailed account. I’ve been through a similar difficulty in sorting out what works for me.

Right now my PP700S-A is wearing a compact 3-9x32 because its accuracy is so good that the poor aiming precision of a red dot annoyed me. But I know you use yours for ratting so you have to favor quick acquisition. What you’ve done sounds great for that purpose. 

I haven’t used many different types of red dots but the one I like best is one marketed for crossbows which has 3 vertically-spaced dots that give some useful aim points at a distance. I can’t fathom why the cheapie models with a selectable pattern (dot, circle, and star) don’t include the 3-dot.

I'm happy with the dot. I can hold a 2" group at 25 yards freehand and with the laser I can pick up a mouse at 10' inside a second. Birds in barn loft would be a piece of cake, even in low light.

spelling edit

I have the PP700S-A .22 as well and a red dot reflex is a good choice for fun but as stated above the gun is so accurate it deserves a little more. Mine is currently wearing an inexpensive Simmons 4x fixed power scope.

This is a starling / rat gun, in my case.

For real accuracy I have an FX Crown in .25, but the only way I could pick up a rat at 25 yards would be if he was asleep. I'm old.

I have the PP700S-A .22 as well and a red dot reflex is a good choice for fun but as stated above the gun is so accurate it deserves a little more. Mine is currently wearing an inexpensive Simmons 4x fixed power scope.

This is a starling / rat gun, in my case.

For real accuracy I have an FX Crown in .25, but the only way I could pick up a rat at 25 yards would be if he was asleep. I'm old.

That's funny. Im a .25 fan too.. Taipan Vet Long, love it and it's my go to for rats but the PP700 does well too all at 13 yards.

On a similar note, I was quite concerned with perceived parallax aberration when viewing a target through the reflex lens. The shooter has to center the dot in the center of the reflex lens, but there is no lens center ID, like a cursor of some sort. It has to well, be guessed at. Further causing me concern was that as the shooter's head moved, so did the dot. However, after using the sight for a while, I realized that guessing the lens center did not matter very much at all nor did my head movement. Once I realized that, my sight confidence rose immensely and my grouping really tightened up. Even though this reflex sight is inexpensive, each color has 5 levels of intensity on a rotary switch. This is good because with low indoor lighting, a low intensity dot is necessary to prevent blooming on the lens. The higher intensity is only required in bright sunlight.